1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Dying plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've got several plants in my tank that haven't been doing very well - I was wondering if from a picture alone folks here could offer advice by seeing what kind of symptoms the plant is suffering from:

The plant is pondweed I think. They were pretty healthy last Saturday when I bought them from C328, but since the last 2-3 days have been slowly dying. The upper half for several stalks is still green, but the lower stalks are turning brown, and the leaves seem to be 'melting'. The same problem is appearing for my twisted vallisneria as well.

I haven't tested for nitrates, nor pH or GH - I haven't got those testing kits yet. But I'm doing a 20% water change every other day in order to counter another problem of nitrites. The plants get a mild dose of Excel as well every other day.

Water temperature is at around 29 to 31 degrees everyday; I'm facing another small problem of white spots on four of my critters, so have been avoiding keeping the tank at low temperatures.

The tank is a 2 feet X 1 feet, 55 litre, and I'm using 2 X 15 watt white flourescent lights.
    Last edited by Wzierbovsky; 5th Apr 2006 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is a weed, normally.... BUT your water temperature is what's killing it.
    You are "cooking" the seaweed... Try to have the water hovering below 28 Dgree C and you will soon be a farmer.
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'll agree with that...i used to have those...and same thing as u, it turned brown...guess temp wasn't that good @ that time...

this time round, mine grew well in a 28degrees tank
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Got it and thanks for the tips. Thing is though while I can bring my water temperature down to 25-26 degrees, it's hard for me to keep it there for long, unless the air conditioning is on all day. During the day time it gradually goes back up to 30 degrees, and that may have been the cause of my critters developing white spots simultaneously.

I'll see what I can do.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe u could try using fans...
    should be able to keep the temperature at around 28°C during the day...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Use a fan or two... Elodea sp. These plants do well with cooler waters. They will turn dark green instead of a lighter green. In warm waters, they quickly turn brown and disintegrate.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 6th Apr 2006 at 00:27.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The plant is egeria densa.

You have multiple issues going on in there and the critters falling sick tells pretty much of the tank's condition. First, you need to decide on whether to do a CO2 (be it gas CO2/DIY/excel) or a non-CO2 tank before folks can help you well. Doing water changes can help low the nitrite toxicity but then again you shouldn't have it if the tank is setup properly. Adding "mulm" aka dirt from established tanks/filters to the substrate and new filter instantly cycles the tank as well as packing the tank with plants (removes all possible trace of NH3/NH4).

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops, always thought they are Elodea densa ... Anyway, the water temperature conditions I observed still stand...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Difference between Elodea canadensis and Egeria Densa For good reading...something similar.

Actually Elodea Densa = Egeria Densa...

Regards
    Peter Gwee