Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Anti Chlorine & Chloramine

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use it because everyone advises me to use it.

22 8.91%
  • I use it because I understand the effect of chlorine & chloramine on fishes.

199 80.57%
  • I don't use it because it has no impact on my fishes health.

19 7.69%
  • I don't use it because the treated water in my area is good.

7 2.83%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Anti Chlorine & Chloramine

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ermm i reside in pasir ris....i just add in water straight from my tap and everythings seems fine. BUT my colleague who stay in CCK expereince lots of casuaties in his 4 feet tank after every water change if he didnt add any Anti Chlorine. He even try ageing his water for 2 days but the outcome still the same....anyone from that area experience this too???
    Aquascaping = Physics + Chemistry + Art.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me i usually use Seachem Prime to play safe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My tank at tampines only gets about 1/5 water change every 2 weeks. water would have been left over-night without additional chemicals.
    there was once when i use anti-chlorine because my friend asked me to, but i find my fishes get sick easier.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange, i was under the impression that chloramine stayed in the water permanently. Chlorine on the other hand, evaporates over a few days. Could someone confirm this?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd View Post
    Strange, i was under the impression that chloramine stayed in the water permanently. Chlorine on the other hand, evaporates over a few days. Could someone confirm this?
    thats my understanding as well
    chloramine does not evaporate away over time like chlorine does
    thats why i add seachem prime just for the chloramine

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    And with that understanding, does that mean everyone else who's been aging their water has been doing so in vain?

I used carbon filtration myself. It was after i realized that adding anything to the water would cause the TDS reading to increase. That in turn makes it harder for fish to breathe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    And with that understanding, does that mean everyone else who's been aging their water has been doing so in vain?
    i aint so sure actually
    but what ive read of about chloramine states that its either very hard or impossible to evaporate from the water directly
    thats y i add seachem prime
    but then again there are people who do perfectly fine without additives

from personal experience, if i dun add additives the shrimps tend not to do too well.
    the galaxies (or celestials if you prefer) are perfectly fine either way so far

probably has to do with water quality in the area (woodlands/admiralty for me) as well as the fauna type and filter arrangement i guess

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So does seachem prime help the chloramine evaporate or does it just make it inert/not harmful to the fauna.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So does seachem prime help the chloramine evaporate or does it just make it inert/not harmful to the fauna.
    the bottle says it "removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and detoxifies nitrate and nitrite"

how it goes about doing that i wouldn't know

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Aging water? I never do that anymore, just add water directly in the tank.

Prime FAQ

Q:I tested my tap water after using Prime and came up with an ammonia reading. Is this because of chloramine? Could you explain how this works in removing chloramine?

A: Prime works by removing chlorine from the water and then binds with ammonia until it can be consumed by your biological filtration (chloramine minus chlorine = ammonia). The bond is not reversible and ammonia is still available for your bacteria to consume. Prime will not halt your cycling process.

I am going to assume that you were using a liquid based reagent test kit (Nessler based, silica). Any type of reducing agent or ammonia binder (dechlorinators, etc) will give you a false positive. You can avoid this by using our Multitest Ammonia kit (not affected by reducing agents) or you can wait to test, Prime dissipates from your system within 24 hours.
    From San Francisco Public Utilities Commission: How is Chloramine removed from water by private citizens as well as industry?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chloramine does break down, into ammonia and chlorine, both which readily evaporates, it just takes a long time for it to break down. Many popular dechlorinators are actually sodium thiosulfate or bisulfate, sodium is very reactive so it forms into NaCl releasing ammonium hydroxide and sulfate, so if your tank stinks after dechlorinating, then you know what has happened. There are chemical agents that breaks down chloramine and renders the ammonia and chlorine harmless, dunno what are the chemical content.
    how it goes about doing that i wouldn't know
    Exactly why i skeered to put into my tank, just replacing one chemical with another.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Primes sounds like an extremely effective product. Removes chloramine AND it doesn't affect the TDS of the water. Perfect for breeders who want plain old H2O at the end of the day.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    except for inorganic ferts, i try not ot add anythin to my tank
    prime came into the picture when well as i said my shrimps started not doing too well whenever water change (30% weekly)

now i used aged (1-2 days) water plus prime (just before water change) and everything's all rosy

so far its a pretty good product in my experience
    cheap too... not much quantity needed considering the volume of water
    i dose according to the instructions and a bottle can last pretty long

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I just use the Tetra water Conditioner. But I think I used too much, might explain why I've lost 4 goldfish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Will be on the lookout this Aquarama for coconut shell carbon blocks 0.5 micron for my fishkeeping needs. Takes out both chloramine and heavy metals.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Will be on the lookout this Aquarama for coconut shell carbon blocks 0.5 micron for my fishkeeping needs. Takes out both chloramine and heavy metals.
    Is that the same as AMDUS 0.5 Micron carbon filter cartridges, which is used in those plastice cylindrical tap water filter system?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Stan,
    I think those are active carbon filters and you have to really watch out for the lifespan. Use it too long and it will release the chemicals back into the water instead of absorbing them.

Some discus hobbist that I know change their carbon block every month. But then they do 100% water change everyday for 10 or so 3 ft tanks.

- Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Luenny,
    Yes that's why need to keep a few blocks standby.

Derrick, not sure if that's the one but you can ask them for clarification.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it depends very much on the kind of fishes that you keep. I stay Jurong and only use water conditioners for my tanks with the more sensitive inhabitants. I do water change straight from the tap.

Using Seachem Prime (there have numerous discussions on the best/value for money conditioner in other forums and this has come out tops), not only for the anti-chloramine but also to take out the nitrates, nitrites and heavy metals.

Main thing is to understand what your conditioner does (diff brands diff range of purposes) and what are your needs, or rather your fishes' requirements.

Cheers and have fun!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I live in Siglap area and if I do not age my water even though I used Seachem Prime, direct top up from the tap will definitely kill some of my shrimps ( yamato and cherry.) Recently I tried direct top up with AMDUS 2 stage filtration with 5 micron sediment and 0.5 micron carbon catridges. Water flow was adjusted to very slow on top up and with direct dosing of Nutrafin Aqua Plus. I notices that my shrimps, especially cherry, are getting side effects probably from the chlorine and chloramine. They are either swimming desperately or stoning. Eventually a couple of them died over a period of 3 hours. This is really frustrating.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast