Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

First Timer.....

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Converting my 3ft aquarium into a marine set-up. Got a few questions before I start. Hope you can all assist me:

I intend to set up a fish only tank with base rock...no live rock.

Question:
    1) Can I use the same current water I have that has been cycled already ?? Is the benficial bacteria I have in the filter system for the freshwater aquarium the same as for marine tanks ?? If so, then I can cycle faster ??

2) I will be getting a proteine skimmer...any recommendations ??

3) Using a Ehiem 2226 or is it 2026 ?? Filter ?? Enough??

4) What else do I need ?

5) For live rock was told that I need a chiller as the water temp. required is lower ?? That is why I am going for a fish only tank with base rock. What is the ideal temperature ??

6) What if I later add soft corals ?? What is the temp. ??

7) Where can I go to get more information ?? Which LFS and where to get good prices on Marine equipment and stock ??

Appreciate all assistance for "the Blur One"

Thanks
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

1) Can I use the same current water I have that has been cycled already ?? Is the benficial bacteria I have in the filter system for the freshwater aquarium the same as for marine tanks ?? If so, then I can cycle faster ??

No, they are different species of bacteria. Should re-set the tank, since your old freshwater might be high in nitrates and phosphates.

Really depends on your budget and setup. If using a sump, do go for the in-sump pump-driven types like venturi skimmers. Berlin and Amiracle (which is what I'm using) are good choices. If you're not using a sump you should consider stand-alone models (MUUUCH more expensive) or hang-on models, which are mostly air-driven counter-current. For the latter those from the Orca brand work quite well and are inexpensive and easily available as well.

I'm not experienced with physical filters, so I'll leave it for others to answer.

4) What else do I need ?

Basic flourescent lights should do. Also consider if you want any substrate or deep sand bed ...

5) For live rock was told that I need a chiller as the water temp. required is lower ?? That is why I am going for a fish only tank with base rock. What is the ideal temperature ??

No, not true!! Chillers are mostly used for coral tanks - LR can flourish without problem with our normal temps. If put in a shady spot in the house that's well-ventilated temps shouldn't go beyond 31C, which is OK. I'm not using a chiller but still doing ok with most corals (soft and LPS).

As above.

7) Where can I go to get more information ?? Which LFS and where to get good prices on Marine equipment and stock ??

Wong Loy Kee at Chinatown market is quite a good place to go for fish, hehe. But watch out - some of their livestock are in not-so-good condition.

Appreciate all assistance for "the Blur One"

Thanks
    ----------------
    [/quote]

No problem. Just my 2c worth!

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Blur one.. welcome to the dark side..

before u start up on your system.. i suggest that u get a book to read up on it.. as well as some of the posts available.. to make things simplier, just click on the followings..it should provide u with enuff basic information.. and should u have any more queries, just feel free to post again..

new setup
    books
    marine tank setup
    marine fish only tank
    reef tank setup

now.. for the questions posted..as most of them had been answered..i will just add on to the statements..

well, as mentioned earlier, it is essential but restricted by space and most impt, $$$.. if that is not a problem, do go for the best.. such as Berlin.. alternative, u can consider in-tank skimmers such as Orca, which is air-pump driven.. me is using it for my 4ft and is happy with the performance so far.. to me, as long as it does the job, i dun need to have an expensive gadget.. there is this brand called Marco.. which is powerhead driven.. so.. the choice is entirely yours.. but obtain one

the size of the filter is sufficient.. but it really depends on your bio-load.. and they dun come from fishes alone.. they can come from Live Rock(LR) and corals as well..but i would recommend u getting a bigger filter..coz u can never over filter the tank..

4) What else do I need ?

other than lightings, u need a hydrometer.. to check the SG of the water... and some basic test kits.. for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate..

whoever told u that, dun get anything from them..especially, if the advice come from LFS or FF.. they are trying to sell u the chiller...base rocks are merely LR that have lost all their colourful algae.. and base rocks have some basic form of living organisms as well.. so.. when u want to set up reef with base rocks, it is gonna be very ugly and use the base rocks to form the structure and use the colourful LR to stack on top of them.. and those algae on those LR, u need to add additives like kalkwassers, strontium etc.. so, pls take note of that...

depending on what species u are talking abt..but best within 26 to 29/30.. for most species..

Wong Loy Kee at Chinatown market is quite a good place to go for fish, hehe. But watch out - some of their livestock are in not-so-good condition.
    on top of that, u can consider going to balestier(Sea Life Aquarium), Reborn (next to aquamart, paya lebar) and lor harlus, pacific marine and reef world
    for sites.. go to
    aquariacentral
    saltwaterfish

last but not least, all the best for your new tank..
    []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Now entering the dark side.....

Thanks for the info.....
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    Hi, just out of curiosity, how thick should the tank glass be? I have a spare 3ft tank (Marina900) that I was thinking of using for a marine setup. The glass is quite thin and I'm not confident of it withstanding the weight of the rocks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    should be ok....any other care to comment ??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can u measure?? it should be able to hold the tank if it is abt 10mm.. to be on the safe side that is.. [:]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Blur one, pls take note of the cycling period.. some forumers here have already experience it the hard way.. when their system collapse and have to restart all over...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Will do...thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    any problem faced.. feel free to post.. [] we are one big dark empire.. hahaha.. yes.. i can feel the force is growing..