Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on clown loaches please

Feedback Score

Advice on clown loaches please

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    please share your knowledge and experiences about clown loaches with me pls... i am a noobie in clown loaches :Pand do they do well with yamatos? thanks people ":P[:0] [:0] [:0] [:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Clown loaches are beautiful fishes and playful ones too...mine will make funny sounds when I catch them in my net, out of water.

They are also quite prone to "ich" and white spots, so your water conditions must be good. Try three or four of them and see them play, else you can get tiger barbs or other fishes that resembles their colour. You will find that they like to socialize a lot.

For water, use soft to neutral, fine gravels, plants or give hidding places. You can use some of those water conditioners on the market like GEO Liquid and etc. Feed with any fish food that sinks, although sometimes they do come to the surface to eat. They'll eat any food readily.

All the best
    Work Whenever, Fish Forever.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They are really nice fishes, but not very suitable for planted tank. They can grow quite big and they will start digging out plants.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    thanks alot people!

oh yeah.. just to share with you guys... previously i mixed some black ghost knife fish with my clown loaches...alhought the knifefishes are not agressive.. but the knifefishes emit electrical signals that drove the loach crazy and stress em -.-

you guys had such experiences before?
    Last edited by benny; 19th Jan 2007 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bgks get testy when big, just kiv ^ ^
    as for clowns, they're very easy going fish
    just remember conventional MEDS for clowns (wrt ich)CAN and DO affect them adversely
    so please do the proper research IF they do get it
    i always recommend salt for killing ich
    easiest way if you dose correctly

btw, clowns have this habit of sleeping on the side
    don't get worried if you see them doing funny things heh

Feedback Score
    hmmmm i notice something unusual too... they swim upwards as if they are gasping for air or something ... they face upwards at the water surface and stays at the top.. what does that mean?

one of mine actually swims upside down and gets back to normal swimming posture... i think its sick or something lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    you have to love the weird noises they do when eating mine are quite large and the first time they "cracked" i thought ow no 300liters of water on floor lol.
    mine adore blood worm and will go into a feeding frenzy over it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have one and hes got an identity crisis. he thinks hes a congo tetra. half his day is spent swimming with the congo tetras. hes really really cute. thinking of getting a few more actually.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my ex-Clown loaches is a shy bunch. always hiding between rocks.. but they are cute fellas, before ich murdered them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Clown loaches are very social creatures and suffer stress very quickly making them extremly suseptible to ich. Normally the more the merrier and the less problems with stress

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll just say one thing...
    Clown loaches are the hardiest fish I've ever kept. My 2 loaches have outlived every other species - and fishes - that I've kept. After 4 year plus, they are still clowning around in my tank.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 18th Oct 2006 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think i'll get some more of these cute fellows after i rescape. any ideas on where to buy them?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 18th Oct 2006 at 15:29. Reason: Removing immediate quotations

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by clouser_minnow View Post
    any ideas on where to buy em?
    LFS, lah!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my bad! i was clear like greenwater... i mean.. which is a reputable LFS to go buy them from? wuhu? C328?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 18th Oct 2006 at 15:37. Reason: It's 'THEM', not 'em'...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Clown loaches are rather common these days. You can find them in practically every LFS. Don't think you have to go to any specific shop as they probably originate from the same farm. Just monitor the condition of the fish in the stock tank before you buy.

Word of caution. Becareful of the spikes at the mouth, do not handle with bare hands and try not get them tangled in the net.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    Sorry to re-interpret your post bryan,but the spikes are actually under thier eyes. This I found to my detriment and they hurt. Please ask your lfs to double bag loaches on purchase as even small ones can pierce the bag with their spines.
    Another important note to remember are these loaches can and do grow up to 2 feet thats alot of fish lol. As this forum mostly delves into planted tanks I would suggest that if you want a pretty planted tank like most I see here? Loaches are not your fish seriously not a good choice!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thats some sound advice! thanks!! sadly, my clownies always die at around 6 inches. never got them to grow bigger than that.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don’t think clown loaches will grow that huge (12 inches or more?) in captivity. I got mine when they were about 5 cm, and today, after close to 5 yrs, they are about 9 cm (lengthwise). With limiting factor such as minimal feeding with non-natural food and space sharing to boot, they are unlikely to grow as they would in the wild. Agree?

And who says loaches are unsuitable for planted tanks? I don’t think they dig so much into the substrates as to stir up a sand storm. A little digging and foraging shouldn’t be a problem – that is, if you feed them regularly.

I’m speaking from experience, hor?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Only reasons I think a clownloach would embark on a major rescaping project are that its got nowhere to hide or there are some nice tasty worms in the substrate. That being said, anything is possible with any loach. They are very creative at finding activities to pass time. Have you seen them play ball with an empty snail shell?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are a playful lot and very active when lights off.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast