Thread: Arowana with ich!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Please help anyone! I have been treating my arowana for ICH for about 1 month now. During that process, I removed the carbon and haven't put it back in since. I did a 25% water change few days ago, and the water just turned green and murky. I read a few article about the lack of nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia, which causes water to turned green (uncycled water). Would that be true? If so, what should I do immediately to clear the water up? PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what medication were you using before?
    Maybe you should put the carbon back in.....it helps by absorbing the color. Hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Green water is usually triggered by an ammonia peak. The peak was probably caused by bacteria die-off in the filter due the water change... Bacteria maybe by chlorine/chloramine if you did a change straight from the tap.

Algae floating in the water causes the green colour.

Green water can be resolved in a few ways. One of them is a black out. Just seal the whole tank from light for 3 days. Search for green water in the forum for details.

Another way, if you do not have small fishes in the tank, is to introduce water daphnia. They'll eat the algae. Probably the most effective.

For other solutions, search for green water in the forum.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by Betta Almighty
    what medication were you using before?
    Maybe you should put the carbon back in.....it helps by absorbing the color. Hope it helps.
    I put the carbon and ammonia remover back in , but it did not work.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz
    Green water is usually triggered by an ammonia peak. The peak was probably caused by bacteria die-off in the filter due the water change... Bacteria maybe by chlorine/chloramine if you did a change straight from the tap.

Algae floating in the water causes the green colour.

Green water can be resolved in a few ways. One of them is a black out. Just seal the whole tank from light for 3 days. Search for green water in the forum for details.

Another way, if you do not have small fishes in the tank, is to introduce water daphnia. They'll eat the algae. Probably the most effective.

For other solutions, search for green water in the forum.
    I tried sealing the tank from light, turning the lights off, and putting the carbon and ammonia back in, but none of them worked. Thanks for the help, but my fish jumped out and committed suicide.
    I do not know what caused my fish to make such a move, but I found it laying on the floor the next morning, hard as a rock.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to hear about the loss.

Just for future reference, uv works well to clear green water.
    Also, always have a secure cover in an aro tank I think jumping out of tank is the cause of most aro deaths...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen
    Sorry to hear about the loss.

Just for future reference, uv works well to clear green water.
    Also, always have a secure cover in an aro tank I think jumping out of tank is the cause of most aro deaths...

Unforunately, I should have remembered that arowana jumps. My friend had the same incident to his saltwater arowana. The arowana was trying to escape, so it banged its head against the cover, which was sealed very tight, but the fish bleed from the head and died the next day.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Arowana411
    Unforunately, I should have remembered that arowana jumps. My friend had the same incident to his saltwater arowana. The arowana was trying to escape, so it banged its head against the cover, which was sealed very tight, but the fish bleed from the head and died the next day.
    Is there saltwater arowana??

As for the bang and bleed, it must be a very rare occurance because I have never heard of that happening. Hope your friend wasn't using something sharp.

Personally I use a custom made acrylic cover with latch. When the aro jumps (they jump at an angle, never straight up 90 deg) it hits and "slides" on the smooth undersurface, diffusing the force of the impact.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Am I wrong about the saltwater arowana? I could have misheard. So, what about the South American arowana? Is that a saltwater or freshwater fish? Yes, it is a rare occurrance, but his arowana was very mean and aggressive. That might have triggered such a bold move on the fish. Nice, an acrylic cover, why didn't I ever thought of that. Maybe when I get another arowana, I'll make the adjustments.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Arowana411,
    From what I know, the family Scleropages and Osteoglossum are both freshwater species, brackish water maybe but not saltwater, whoever pass you that information could be refering to another species. As for the bleeding, it happens to most fishes after a hard fall. Over here in singapore, we all cover our tanks as the fish is costly.(Scleropages Formosus and it's hybrids)
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.