Images
    Country
    Singapore

New 2ft Apisto Tank Journey

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Setting up a new tank for a future pair of Apistogramma... After a long wait for my cabinet, finally can start with the scape...

And this is the hardscape which I have done... Placed the flash too far back, so that was reflection of the wood on the back glass...

Any improvements for the positioning? Too left? Idea was to have a E. tennulus + HG lawn on the area beside the island...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    woah.. nice branchy bogwood... my humble opinion says the placement is and look forward to more updates..
    Who made up all these rules?
    We follow 'em like fools.
    Believe 'em to be true.
    Don't care to think 'em through.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with freak too...

But imho, maybe you could shift the 'island' a tinny winny bit more to the right.. because the left area might look overcrowded when plants are in...

Different people have different tastes... so it depends on your liking
    Last edited by benny; 16th Apr 2006 at 00:54. Reason: size formating

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the placement is good, but maybe you might want to have a branch extending over to the right? Also, you want to elevate the ground under the rocks and wood a little more...

Still got leftover granite?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The hardscape is too "left". Needs to be balanced out. Try changing the angle of the driftwood.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Will try to shift the wood more towards the right... Else will look very heavy on the left... Will also change the angle of the wood as suggested by Terence and see the effect...

Justikanz, I am left with 4 pieces of granite now... Will also raise the rocks to a higher viewable angle... Too flat I believe...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i like the island concept, love that piece of wood. Keep us updated with more pics, i'm sure it will look great

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kemp
    i like the island concept, love that piece of wood. Keep us updated with more pics, i'm sure it will look great
    me too! keep us updated when plants are added in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I like you set up and with an island feel then the open plain / expanse to the right. My only suggestion would be to reverse your piping so that it would be hidden as much as possible

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

island is nice

Its very nicely lay out..the tenellas will contrast with the black gravel.
    IMO maybe you can buy blocks of java fern and stuff behing the island corner. and let it grow slowly.It will bring out the bushy look of the island and provide more hiding space for the apistos..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    My only suggestion would be to reverse your piping so that it would be hidden as much as possible
    I will see what I can do about it since I am limited by the design of the cabinet. Will explore the possibility of changing the island to the right side instead... But might have a problem due to the shape of the mangrove root that I have...

Quote Originally Posted by bettarism
    Its very nicely lay out..the tenellas will contrast with the black gravel.
    IMO maybe you can buy blocks of java fern and stuff behing the island corner. and let it grow slowly.It will bring out the bushy look of the island and provide more hiding space for the apistos..
    I have lots of broad left Java ferns from my other tank which I intend to stuff it in the middle of the wood itself... Would it be better? Also tie moss on the wood so that it wouldn't look so raw... Then have stem plants at the back... Abit like Amano's early works...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bro, maybe you can explore shifting it to the right side? I just love your wood. Really nice.
    By the way, where did you bought it from? Mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by valice
    I will see what I can do about it since I am limited by the design of the cabinet. Will explore the possibility of changing the island to the right side instead... But might have a problem due to the shape of the mangrove root that I have...

I have lots of broad left Java ferns from my other tank which I intend to stuff it in the middle of the wood itself... Would it be better? Also tie moss on the wood so that it wouldn't look so raw... Then have stem plants at the back... Abit like Amano's early works...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kemp
    bro, maybe you can explore shifting it to the right side? I just love your wood. Really nice.
    By the way, where did you bought it from? Mind sharing?
    I bought it from C328... I happened to chance upon it one day while I was there looking for a tank... I like the small little caves at the bottom and the way the branches curve too...

Shifting the wood to the right side might not be that nice due to the way the branches stick out... Will see how...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    stay with the current layout the wood looks good, so if you cannot move the pipes so be it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm..on second thought of it, i agree that shifting right might not be that nice. Maybe can stay it as it is.

Maybe i should pop by C328, see if they have something similar?
    I bought it from C328... I happened to chance upon it one day while I was there looking for a tank... I like the small little caves at the bottom and the way the branches curve too...

Shifting the wood to the right side might not be that nice due to the way the branches stick out... Will see how...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    will there be plants inside??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by planted86
    will there be plants inside??
    No dont think there'll be plants...in fact.. dont even think there'll be water.. but we intend to drop the apisto inside and let it roll in the gravel until it is coated and dry...heard they are best appreciated that way..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    lol.... *dialling SPCA no.*....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    I like you set up and with an island feel then the open plain / expanse to the right. My only suggestion would be to reverse your piping so that it would be hidden as much as possible
    I agree with Rupert. The green pipe looks distracting. Our eyes are trained to scan from the left to the right, hence keeping the island on the left is pleasing. Extending a branch out towards the right would look nice.

When is your apistos' ETA?

Cheers.

Thio

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ETA for the apistoes should be in the next 3 weeks after I come back from an overseas assignment... Just nice for the tank to finish cycling...

This week is "tree" planting week... Might pop by your place to check out for plants...

And I have shifted the wood more to the right already... Will take a pic of the tank after I finish planting the foreground and tying moss and java ferns on the wood...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast