1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

stem of all plants dissolving

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Currently, I have some plants the stems are dissolving thus causing the plants to float. I would like to know whats the reason. The roots litterally turned to white and break. Planted deformis, and riccia. CO2 having 2.5 bubbles per second, 8 hours of 48watts of light, apisto caca. Sea chem flourite with ocean free base. setup for 14 days, riccia and deformis edge of the leaves are slowly melting. I just placed sea chem's nitrogen, phospous, potassium, traces and ferropol iron 2 days ago. The plants are bubbling. The problem was I have a plant that has a leave that looks like an umbrella, the stem is dissolving and the roots are not growing although, everytime during photosynthesis that the bottom of the leaves are bubbling.
    Photography: The light that that shines the path
    Aquarium: The path that leads to Light

Together I give you Aquagraphy.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What's your temperature?

What's the size of your tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    size 2ft by 1 ft by 1.5ft. Temp around 25 with fan with lights on and off in the night.
    Photography: The light that that shines the path
    Aquarium: The path that leads to Light

Together I give you Aquagraphy.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Discman
    The problem was I have a plant that has a leave that looks like an umbrella
    Could you provide a picture of this plant? It may be a sensitive species, thus your problems.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If the CO2 is good, then its definitely a nutrient issue. You have not been dosing enough nor regularly. Unless you do that, you are always going to have issue since a CO2 enriched tank grows at a fast rate.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have some encounter of my tank (recently rescaped with added clay balls to the old substrate) that some of the E. tenellus replanted would not hold root easily - they keep floating up, I observed their root did not grow fast, some has rot at the base stem. Yet other newly added plant such as crypto are OK. The E. tenellus planted at the brighter area of tank seem to have more of such problem than those planted in the shade. Is it an over abundant of light vs nutrient availability or too rich a nutrient in the substrate (newly added clay ball) ? Or the substrate not fully developed (anerobic bacteria not reaching a steady stage ?)
    BTW CO2 level is at 15ppm, light is near 3wpg, liquid fert (JBL) dosing weekly with Fe level probably 0.1~0.2 ppm (test kit hard to read) and no algae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Discman,
    By your description, that plant might be ranunculus papulentus. It's kind of a sensitive plant and needs time acclimatising to a new tank. 3 issues, nutrients, temperature and planting. It needs cool water, when you plant make sure the runners are above substrate. Nutrient requirement is high for this plant, lack of iron and it turns yellow real quick. I personally failed 2-3 times before getting some success on my current attempt. There are some brethrens here who has very good success with 24 degrees water. The 'umbrella' was like 5cm across and they spread like wildfire.
    PS: I might be wrong so it'll be good if you could provide a picture.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Discman,
    By your description, that plant might be ranunculus papulentus. It's kind of a sensitive plant and needs time acclimatising to a new tank. 3 issues, nutrients, temperature and planting. It needs cool water, when you plant make sure the runners are above substrate. Nutrient requirement is high for this plant, lack of iron and it turns yellow real quick. I personally failed 2-3 times before getting some success on my current attempt. There are some brethrens here who has very good success with 24 degrees water. The 'umbrella' was like 5cm across and they spread like wildfire.
    PS: I might be wrong so it'll be good if you could provide a picture.
    omg, 24 degrees! even with aircon and fan i dont think mine can get that low.
    Ive got these plants too and im only using base ferts. Their growing slowly but after what ive read, im beggining to worry. lol. Is lush gro-Aqua enogh for them?