Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ----------------
    On 6/20/2002 11:09:16 AM

----------------
    On 6/20/2002 10:31:34 AM

the saes are the real thing, i think. my conclusion is based on an article in http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/. the tell-tale sign is the band along the sides of the fish and mine terminate at the base of the tail and not to the fork of the tail as would a flying fox.

cheers,
    roy
    ----------------
    BC is right, there are three or more similar-looking fishes. There is a pic in the gallery, take a good look. The most tell-tale (to me) is that the stripe should be a single black through to the tail, no gold stripe above the black, and the back scales have black rims thus making the back look reticulated and giving rise to the jagged-ness of the stripe.

I also find that flying foxes are lousy algae-eater. They aggressively fight with other fish for food, and win!
    I think the real SAE are the ones that have the stripe extended right to the fork of the tail. The edge of the stripe is jagged.
    The one that have the stripe that ends at the base of the tail is a false SAE.
    Flying foxes have coloured dorsal fins.

Don't be confused.

BC
    ----------------
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    to my knowledge the flying fox and the false SAE are one and the same
    no?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/21/2002 4:03:30 AM

no?
    ----------------
    Nope. They are different fishes.

Anyway, here's an [url=http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/]article[url] to help identify the fish. Once you've figured it out, you'll never mistake them again cos the heads are different. Before you figure it out, I think the most tell-tale sign is the stripe. Jagged edges on the black stripe and a very faint or non-existant gold stripe above that.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz, I agree about the head. I find the SAE's head reminds me of a helmet. The other fishes have a more blunt head.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    dudes, this has been a trip to confusion city.

first and foremost, the temperature issue. I don't have an engineering background or familiar with thermodynamics. applying the little that I know about biology - when a body heats up, blood vessels underneath the skin expand allowing heat to dissipate through the skin to the external environment. at the same time, sweat evaporates on the surface of the skin thus contributes to a cooling sensation. the same applies to rubbing alcohol on your skin, the rapid evaporation feels cool to the skin but i doubt that actually lower the temperature at the area being applied.

the thing that doesn’t sit well with me is the application of small tiny fan on the surface of a big body of water and given the fact that water cools down and heats up slowly. i don’t wish to turn this into a big issue as it has already been discussed quite a few times in this forum. the bottom-line is – if it works, i’m all for it. i’ll be making a trip to sim lim this afternoon to pick up a few fan.

as for the sae, there are differing views. the real sae hasn't swim forward yet but i'll apply the generally consensus. anyway, the "SAEs" in my aquarium seem to be working but, compared to the otos, they are greedy, lazy, playful buggers. i'll keep and observe them for the time being. if they don't work out for me, they would need to pack their fishy bags and hit the road.

thanks for all the help and very much appreciated.

cheers,
    roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/21/2002 4:03:30 AM

no?
    ----------------
    No. Flying foxes have black tips on the dorsal, pelvic and anal fins.

False Siamensis looks almost like SAE but the stripe end at the base of the tail and the stripe is not so jagged.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Roy,

Unlike otos, SAEs can get spoilt. When small or first bought, they tend to stick to algae, but soon they learn to appreciate fish food and start to ignore algae.

With my current batch of SAEs, they are still chomping on algae. I think the trick is to not overfeed your fishes and not too often in a day. If the SAEs don't get enough from fish food, they'll continue to eat algae. Just my 2 cents.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    absolutely, I usually feed the rest of the fish sneakily before the SAE realise there is food in the water. since they are usually at the bottom. I feed just enough for all the others to chomp off, then wait for the SAE to go away, then feed a little more... heh stealth feeding.

Feedback Score
    thanks everyone!

re-read the articles on algae eating carps in www.thekrib.com. yes, you gals and guys are right - i've got 3 fake SAEs and 1 real one. btw, the real one was bought from pet shop boys.

the fake SAEs are packing their bags now and will be leaving chateau le roy aquarium tomorrow [] got to keep only the necessary fishes - the valuable real estates have to be made available to fancy fishes.

cheers,
    roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/21/2002 10:54:06 PM

thanks everyone!

re-read the articles on algae eating carps in www.thekrib.com. yes, you gals and guys are right - i've got 3 fake SAEs and 1 real one. btw, the real one was bought from pet shop boys.

the fake SAEs are packing their bags now and will be leaving chateau le roy aquarium tomorrow [] got to keep only the necessary fishes - the valuable real estates have to be made available to fancy fishes.

cheers,
    roy
    ----------------
    that's good roy. once you know what the real mccoy looks like it's easy to identify. What's this pet shop boys? boy band turn lfs?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good luck in netting those fake SAE out...had a hard time if u have a heavily planted tank yet to say if u got a big tank.[:0]
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    pet shop boys is in far east plaza (or far east shopping centre). i always get the two confused - the one along scotts road. pretty good selection of tropical fishes, i.e. not too many LHs, and prices are okay.

yes, i thinking how to catch the fake SAEs without disturbing the plants. the tank is about 70 US gallon.

cheers,
    roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/22/2002 11:52:12 AM

yes, i thinking how to catch the fake SAEs without disturbing the plants. the tank is about 70 US gallon.

cheers,
    roy
    ----------------
    good luck, maybe use a big net and bait them with worms [:0]

Feedback Score
    2 out of the 3 fake SAEs have been netted without difficulty but the 3rd one got smart and kept hiding among the plants. tried baiting it but to no avail. well, i can live with one fake SAE but will try again in couple of weeks time.

an update on the temperature issue. previously, my aquarium temperature was in the 32-34 range but with the installation of 4 small fans, 2 blow and 2 suck, the temperature is now around 29 with hood fully closed. the water feels cool to the touch now. good deal!

thanks for the tip everyone!

cheers,
    roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    34! no wonder your shrimp turn into seafood soup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12