Thread: Getting started with Amano shrimps and other algae eaters

Feedback Score

Getting started with Amano shrimps and other algae eaters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello fellow enthusiats,

just set up a planted tank. got myself a contingent of bottom cleaners and algae removers. presently, looking for amano shrimps to add to the collection. does anyone know any lfs carrying the amano shrimps and how much should i expect to pay per shrimp? also, anyone knows where can i get american flag fish? sorry, one more question - other than puffer and loach, is there any other fish good for combating snails?

thanks
    roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Amano shrimps are aka Yamato shrimps. They are quite common in the LFS. They are usually aroudn $1 per piece.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you have dwarf chiclids like apistogrammas, you won't have snail problems.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Roy, pls dun not post more than one thread of the same topic, there r always members online, u need to post only one..

in the future, all extra threads will be deleted

Feedback Score
    folks,

thanks for replying.

i wish to apologise if i posted the same message in more than one forum - didn't know where my question would fit in, i.e. chit chat (it's a general question), planted tank (the shrimps are intended for a planted tank) or fishkeeping (???). still don't have a clue so maybe i should read the faq.

the shrimps are kinda urgent because i'll be doing work related travelling next week for 2 weeks. read somewhere that new planted tank is prone to algae outbreak so i thought better safe than sorry.

anyway, managed to find yamato shrimps in pet shop boys even though the price per shrimp is higher than petmart or nature aquarium. however, the shrimps started dying off in a span of 2 hours probably due to my the water condition in the newly established planted tank. well, i learned but at the expense of the poor shrimps. now my puffer is having shrimp buffet.

thanks for replyig once again. you all been helpful.

cheers,
    roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    did u climatise them properly? yamato r quite sensitive.. u gotta climatise them properly b4 intro them into the tank... way to climatise, float the bag in yr tank and every 5-10mins, pour in a little tank water .. after an hour release them, if u find them laying on their side, remove it and put it into a bowl of fresh water.. btw, will be good if u can give us some info on yr tank

Feedback Score
    simon,

it's been 15 years since i last kept fishes or shrimps for that matter. i did climatise the shrimps but it was a partial one, i.e. i floated the bag for 10-15 minutes then dump the whole bag into the tank. i read the method to climatise newly acquired fishes, which is the same as you've outlined. i took a shortcut and the shrimps paid dearly for it. like i said, i learned.

cheers,
    roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dun wprry abt it, we all learn one way or another.. I, myself learnt the expensive way too... suggest u add malayan, otos in as well.. they do help in algae.. we usually like to add diff algae eaters, coz not one single algae eater can combat all kinds

Feedback Score
    i should be sleeping since it's 1 am now. been having insomnia lately so might as well provide some info on my tank as you've requested.

tank dimension - length 107 cm, height 56 cm, depth 46 cm
    gravel - 3 bags rmc pacific materials lapis lustre sand
    fertilizer - 3 buckets ocean free super plantbase
    ligts - 4 X 30 watts 900mm PL ligts
    pressurized co2, solenoid valve and diffuser
    1 eheim 2224 and 1 hydor prime 20

the above-mentioned tank arrived last friday but, prior to the arrival of the tank, the eheim filter was running on a smaller 2 feet tank with some tank cycling goldfish and aquatic plants for about 2 weeks. moved the filters, aquatic plants and water from the 2 feet tank to the new tank last friday. presently, fishes like oto, sae, upside-down catfish and cory are being added gradually. last test on the water yielded pH 6.5, ammonia 0 and nitrite about 1. still some ways to go before tank is fully cycled.

that's all

roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    roy, make sure to get the correct SAE and not flying fox... too many lfs mislabels them.[]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    roy, parameter looks fine.. how abt the temp?

Feedback Score
    the saes are the real thing, i think. my conclusion is based on an article in http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/. the tell-tale sign is the band along the sides of the fish and mine terminate at the base of the tail and not to the fork of the tail as would a flying fox.

as for the water temperature, it's 31-32 in the morning and 33 in the late evening. temperature reading in the morning was taken after the tank has gone without lights for the night and the reading in the late evening was taken with the lights on throughout the day. i'm not too pleased with the present temperature as it's too high even for a tropical aquarium, imho. tried to remove the hood but to no avail. i didn't think removing the hood would help anyway since water temperature taken in morning should be lower if the hood was an issue. well...

btw, i've not decided on the main occupants for my aquarium. can't decide whether it's gonna be tetras, cichlids or rojak but i really do like the discus and tetras combo. however, due the travelling required for work, i'm apprehensive about keeping discus. however, i've got a system down for changing water in less than 10 mins. the most trouble part in the system is coiling and uncoiling the hose.

cheers,
    roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it could very well be due to low dissolved oxygen
    at high temperatures the oxygen levels in the water drop
    your shrimp could be suffocating (*ahem*) to death

i'd suggest removing the hood if you can
    you can use a fan to lower the temperature too

apistos + shrimp = fat apistos
    wild discus + shrimp = fat discus
    keep that in mind before deciding on what fish you intend to keep

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/20/2002 10:31:34 AM

the saes are the real thing, i think. my conclusion is based on an article in http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/. the tell-tale sign is the band along the sides of the fish and mine terminate at the base of the tail and not to the fork of the tail as would a flying fox.

cheers,
    roy
    ----------------
    I think the real SAE are the ones that have the stripe extended right to the fork of the tail. The edge of the stripe is jagged.
    The one that have the stripe that ends at the base of the tail is a false SAE.
    Flying foxes have coloured dorsal fins.

Don't be confused.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is it true that shrimp(mostly) needs a lower temperature?

Wat is the comfortable range for them to survive than?

thks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it the tempreture.... is the problem.... the shrimp would be more comfortable at 26-28 c....

last week when i bought them(10 shrimp) home leave it in bag into tank for 15mins and I cut a small hole at the corner of bag for my tank water to mix with the bag's water ..... and after 20 mins the shrimp just swim out of the bag on their own ..... []

and all of them made it! They are wonder cleaners..... super fast and goes to work.... straight out from the bag.

after a week my tank looks clean.... looks like they clear all the dirty stuff.... will they run out of food if the tank is too clean?[:0]

Feedback Score
    doh! i may indeed have useless flying foxes in my tank. hmm... i'm confused - did too much research on too many subjects in a short span of time. thanks for the correction BC. definitely need to re-read some of the important articles again. hopefully, there are a few genuine SAEs in my tank since i bought them from 3 different shops.

anyway, i really didn't expect the water temperature in my aquarium to hover around 32-33. the temperature definitely need to be lowered. i heard some enthusiasts in singapore have aquarium temperature at around 28 by using fan. Is it possible for accelerated surface evaporation to lower the bigger body of water underneath by a few degrees? Also, should the fan be blowing on the water or sucking the air out from aquarium enclosure? well, i try anything since i'm a d-i-y freak.

cheers,
    roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the use of a fan is to give air-exchange in the gap between the surface and yr lighting fixture

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Roy, dun worry. False Siamensis and Flying Foxes do eat algae, although not comparable to SAEs.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/20/2002 2:38:48 PM

the use of a fan is to give air-exchange in the gap between the surface and yr lighting fixture
    ----------------
    i beg to differ
    it cools the water thru evaporation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast