Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: chocolate gourami

Feedback Score

chocolate gourami

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It Seems to me , this fish the most difficult fish to keeps, out of 8 pcs bought ,the next day no survivor at all !!!!!.
    Anybody can share experiences of sucessfull keeping this
    gourami. Like water parameter , type of filteration ..etc
    anything at all to keeps this fish alive and kicking..

Thx AND

" HAPPY NEW YEARS 2002 " TO ALL AQ KAKIS

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi jason, u r rite.. the chocolate gourami is suggested for advance fishkeepers (but i wonder y), they are carnivous, PH below 7... jus wondering, anyone here successful kept and bred them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Treat chocolate gouramis like snowflakes, i.e. extra tenderly. They react badly to shocks and the first shock of all is of course the trip back home from the LFS. Minimise bag shakage and use a dark carrier bag if possible. Don't dump them into the tank straightaway; float the bag a while before netting them. Subsequently, try not to disturb the tank too much. Once they go into shock (body and fins stiff and colour pale), it's usually bye bye time.

Waterwise, they come from very soft (1-2 DH) and acidic (pH 4-5) waters in Southeast Asian jungles and peat swamps, so hard water and alkaline values are not well tolerated. But planted tank environments with pH 6-7 are generally ok. Needless to say, ammonium, nitrite and nitrate levels should be minimal. Tankmates should also be non-aggressive species, as chocolates don't swim fast and tend to get picked on.

They definitely prefer small live food, esp daphnia and bloodworms, but mine eat flakes and micropellets as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are C.Gurami that sensitive. Then I should count myself lucky. Bought 6 and it did do quite well but due to a major co2 poisoning during one of my businaess trips, 5 of them died.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

hi wtc,

Like what budak mentioned.
    I'm also into keeping Chocolate Gourami.
    Btw where you got your Chocolate Gourami?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The LFS near CCK Mrt is selling some. The shop name is Tropica.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    Mine, I bought from Lam hong Aq. at AMKio $1 each. but none of them survive, that why i need fellow hobbiyist experiences to keeps this fish , before buying another batch , It make me really sad and heartache to see my fish
    died just like that due to my fault by not gather enough information about this fish .

Thanks Budak for the info.
    wish U all Happy fish keeping

wtc

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wtc,

Apart from Lam Hong, Red Sea Aquarium at ParkLane (opp Rendevous Hotel) often stocks very nice Chocolates ($1.5 or $2 each). Call them to check for availability.

After I succeed in making them Chocolates do double somersaults and jump through fiery hoops, I'll take on licorice gouramis and Brunei beauties.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, I had got my 2nd batch from Red Sea Aquarium a few week ago, 3389191, (Parklane Shopping Centre facing Selegie Road) at $2 each.

Should say that they are more robust with very nice forked tails. Size was about 1".

Actually, I was trying to find out where wtc got his chocolates from (I'm worried about the source instead).

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    those i had last time were shy, but not very delicate (at least compared to some fish i had)

they will need a bit of time to get used to a tank,
    and they seem to thrive in planted setups (mainly due to visual enviromnet and water quality)

i didnt really take care of them when i had them but they still thrived.
    i think to have many of them dying, there must be some other special cause at that moment