Images
    Country
    Singapore

Need help to diagnose nutrient deficency

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Not sure if this falls into the Fertilization section or here.
    All the plants in the tank are slow in growth, water is slightly cloudy could be due to to new drift wood.PH, KH all normal (PH=7, KH=5). CO2 is healthy level. Fe level at least 0.1ppm.

I added some KNO3, MgSO4 and K2SO4 mix. After 24 hours a few of the crypto leaf became yellow and some start to rot. More noticebly were the Amazon Frogbit : showed few yellow leaf and some even rot out from the center.

Any idea why ? Too high NO3 ?

BTW does Frogbit always has some black striated marking on it ? (Can be seen in the pics above) Or is it also sign of deficency ?
    Last edited by dc88; 22nd Apr 2006 at 21:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With the addition of CO2 usually the water becomes slightly acidic, so you pH should be less than 7.0.

I don’t think your addition of fertilizers would have done this to your plants in such a quick manner, although not very experienced myself. My suggestion is to have a very close look at those black marks, could something be possibly living inside the leaves and eating them from the inside out?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    can that be BGA??? i dunnoe im kinda new...
    Life Is Blessed By Those Who Are Blessed

Living a fake life is by following other people's life,get a life n follow yours and u will have pride

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is this a new tank?

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The yellow leaf on frogbits look like nitrogen deficiency, or lack of light. Perhaps your frogbit already had the yellow leaves before you put in your KNO3. The black patch is the first time I'm seeing this. Looks like oil contamination. You have something above that is dripping oil?

Your CO2 is low, which is probably why plants are slow to grow. Dark markings on frogbits are normal. But sudden crypt melt points to sudden change in water condition because my crypts melt even when I move some frogbits away, as there is suddenly more light available than they're used to.

Is this tank an established tank? How old? add more CO2 and maintain your fert. Perhaps you can add some KH2PO4 and forget about the MgSO4. Try this out for a week and see if conditions improve.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My frogbits will show the symptom of the 2nd pic if i dose bicarbonate powder and some of the powder gets onto the leaves. The next day, the leaves will dissolve. Did any bicarbonate powder get accidently left on the leaves?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Or could it be that Yamatos has been chewing on them?
    Let us know if the situation persists. I can't be sure what's happening.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the suggestion ! The yellow leaf could be just an isoldated incidence as no more recurrance.
    I did a 40% water change yesterday and yet still found a few more newly "chewed" frogbit liked the 2nd photo. .

(1) I think I can rule out the "insufficent light" because I constructured a float to retain them at the brighter side of the tank surface.
    (2) not entirely a new tank, yes it was rescaped but run-in for a month already.
    (3) Not sure about baking soda. I usually dissolve them first then pour slowly in. But could be some droplets landed on the frog bit ? I can do an experiement on this.
    (4) Could be Yamato ? Since the chirstmas moss are also thinning down I remove all the yamato this morning to a temp shelter just to observe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just an upate :
    - after removing the yamato to another temp shelter, the Frogbit stop showing the rotten leaf symptom in the main tank.
    - then I place some frog bit into that temp shelter with the yamato, but no rotten leaf.
    - pour some bicarbonate onto the leaf, next day no sign of rotten leaf.
    Conclusion ? No conclusion, the rotten frogbit leaf so far did not happen again, but don't know why.
    But good thing that after removing the Yamato from the main tank, can see that the moss start growing...