Country
    Singapore

mysterious WORMS!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yo ppl,
    i face this problem( white worm-like free swimming stuff) with my marine tank when i switched off the lights. what are they? harmful? Anybody encounter them b4?
    i tried to kill them by squeezing them. hehehe.. give me a high.. hahaha. Pls advice.
    btw, i bought a couple of wrasses to do the job for me already, that is if they dun sleep immediately after the lights are off. It will be a feast time.
    []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Hi, my guess is they are most likely copepods, they are probably from your live rocks. Did you recently setup you tank or added in new live rocks? Most copepods are harmless, although some are fish parasites. But chances are they will be eaten up by your fishes in no time...[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    BTW, personally I will not keep wrasses, as they will eat up all the worms in sand bed and then I will not have anymore worms to loosed my sand bed liao, this is important if you use DSB...

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    DSB? sorry, i dun understand the term[].
    my tank had been up for almost 2 yrs already. well..could be from the new rocks that i added like u mentioned lor..sigh.. i use a plastic rake to lossen my sand.. stir up the detris to be filtered away.. btw, one question, i have tube worms growing in my wet/dry slump... u think is it advisable to remove them and place them in my tank? how they get them.. i have no idea.. they are very small..abt 1/10 of those that u see in the farms for sale.
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Hi,
    DSB : Deep sand bed.

the tube worm probably got through your filter inlet down to your sump
    IMHO, shouldn't be a problem leaving them there...

hmmm...wet/dry filtration...what is your nitrate level? or rather how do you get rid of your nitrates? do you use a protein skimmer, chemical fitration, denitrator...[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i usually remove the nitrates via water changes. nitrate level have not been checking. hahahha.. i did use a protein skimmer on top of the wet/dry filtration(includes bioballs, charcoal, wool etc. The wet/dry slump is customised. what filtration are u using? Do u use protein skimmer? me thinking of upgrading my protein skimmer to the berlin model but cost is a factor. know of any place where i can get a second hand one?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Hi Kelstorm,
    I am using NNR through liverocks and DSB, on top that, overflow filter down to a wet/dry sump. Wet/dry filter are good in getting rid of ammonia and nitrites, but cannot do anything to nitrates. I am also using a external skimmer to help get rid of organic wastes...currently working on diy a coil denitrator.
    try posting on the classifieds here...

i think u can get 2nd hd tunze skimmer from kenny at reef world but still kinda ex.
    im usin a 3ft refugium......so no3 is not much of a problem for me
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry.. what is refugium? how come NO3 is not a problem for u? What is NNR? sorry, i dun understand the shortform.
    [] my tank currently have a simple skimmer(abt 1ft in size) in the tank and i was thinking of getting another one for the sump, i.e. skimming the water from the sump again before pumping it back to tank. i read from somewhere that u can never overfilter or skim the water to duplicate the nature. sigh [:] Nevertheless, u think it is a good idea coz the model that i saw, the model, Berlin, that draws water from sump via a pump/powerhead, cost abt $300. Very ex leh.
    it seems to me that most members here are into freshwater garden concept... hardly any other members except us.. ..

BTW, i saw a denitrator from SERA from Petmart. Does it really work? me is very skeptical abt the gadget leh. dun know where it really work or not...know of anybody who have experience using it and find it useful? I really dun know how they remove the nitrate..[] me a bit dense..hehehe[] somemore, i think it cost abt $200+. can't recall the price...sigh.. every thing so ex. must buy 4D already or enter the who wants to be a millionaire contest and tell Flying Dutchman that i only need $4K..me not too greedy. just want to get a denitrator, chiller, electronic meters and skimmer..hahaha[]

wahhahha joker sia u.
    er yea a refugium is a NNR........which plants inside to suck up alot of no3,po4..........IMO i think a berlin is not as efficient as a tunze....wif $300 i think u can get a nice 2nd hd 220 from reefworld if u dun mind.
    slowly lor let the reefer slowly come in.
    my fren is usin a denitrator by aquamedic.......he says it is very good. n bought his no3 level from 100+ to 0 in a month or 2.i think the aquamedic wan is olso ard $200+.
    4k enough meh???i olso think i no need too much lar....a million will jus do....im not a greedy person too kee keeee
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    huh?? me still have no idea what a NNR/refugium leh.. care to elaborate a bit more?How come got plants inside?? sorry.. me a bit dense.. hahaha.. too much salt in the brain.. The aquamedic denitrator is that effective meh??? hehehe.. sorry.. me very skeptical abt such gadgets.. need to watch the spending lor.. times are bad leh.. hahaha[] if it works.. then no need to change much water already.. hahaha.. in fact, no need to change water.. []
    For a million dollars, u can buy a empty house to keep nothing but aquariums with the works.. hahaha.. []