Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plant photography contest a flop?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Plant photography contest a flop?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Our contest submission will end in two days. However, to date, we have 8 entries from 3 members in 1 category, despite having an average of 400 member login on a daily basis. We would like to get some honest feedback on the contest as well as activities for future planning.

01. Shall we organise contest/lucky draws for our members or is that a waste of time?

02. Are the prizes unattractive? If so, what suggestions do you have?

03. Are the type of contests boring?

04. "There are only so few prizes, I'll never win" mentality?

05. What kind of contests would you guys like to see in the future?

And lastly, why didn't you submit a picture for the plant photography contest? As plants are much easier to photography, we are surprised by the less than luke warm response.

Hope to hear from you guys to make this a better place.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    01. Shall we organise contest/lucky draws for our members or is that a waste of time?

Contests/lucky draws are a good way to pull in new members. AQ should always have it from time to time, if possible.

02. Are the prizes unattractive? If so, what suggestions do you have?

For a small/regular contest that does not require much to get started, the prizes look justified.

03. Are the type of contests boring?

No. Really.

04. "There are only so few prizes, I'll never win" mentality?

Personally, I didn't enter to win. All I had was time and a camera, so snapping was natural. I really don't know what the rest of the 400+ regulars are thinking though...

05. What kind of contests would you guys like to see in the future?

I still think aquascaping and photography type contests go hand in hand. It's a great idea.
    Perhaps there are people who want to enter but do not have the time. There may also be forumers who lack the skills/equipment to do so. I do know that most of the photographers here are either staff or moderators of AQ and that you guys can't enter?

Anyway, this was a good attempt and you really shouldn't be disappointed over a minor setback. Wait for more responses and evaluate the various possible causes. Cheers!
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you for your prompt input weirong. We appreciate it. Let's see what other feedback we receive.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its just bad timing for me...
    i have just got my "full kit" ready but my tanks have been taken down for house renovation.
    in fact i have been reduced to one 2 ft planted tank (not very pretty specimens yet).
    personally, i think the prizes are justified and proportionate.
    i will certainly participate in future events.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Bad timing for me too.. was goin to upload some pics but you know wat happened..and i lost most of them.. some really good ones too.. haiz..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think that one sets standards in ones own mind, in my case these standards have been set beyond what I could ever deliver with my current equipment [wifes camera], and I cannot submit what I consider substandard pictures, therefore can not/ do not enter, it is a vicious cycle.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my plants are not up to scratch.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Like me, some of the members can't afford a DSLR?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the original idea didn't expect members to have a DSLR...
    Choy takes really good pictures with a normal point and shoot camera...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I feel that to submit pic for a plant-photo contest the plant must be in good shape. On the whole I think people feel their setup is ok but to zoom in to a particular plant may show lots of flaws/alage-problems/growth, etc. I originally wanted to take a pic of JF philippines sp but it started to melt very badly and is spreading..

I like to see a AQ aquascape contest but the setup must be recent enough to be verified, instead of allowing people to submit their setup 3 years ago and has participated in all world-wide competitions. But I can also see the shortcoming in this; that number of entries will drop, plus indirectly overseas submission becomes impossible. I also thought that there should be follow-through in any competition. Look at the successful competitions such as ADA, they offer a magazine and have a get-together session for winners to share their tips/skills.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would have liked to enter, but couldn't find time to sit down and have a shot (don't really have many plant varieties in any case)... maybe should try tomorrow if I can find time off from taking care of my baby...
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am forgetful... I will try to remember sending in by end of 1st May...

Frankly, I think a lot of people will not dared to enter... Just like how many people don't want to send to ADA competition because 'they think they are not good enough' or 'they don't have good enough equipment'... I would say it is a mentality thing... Afraid to lose?

Maybe a ranking might be good?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aq is a aquatic forum? not a photography forum?

I am sure there will be better response in clubsnap, even if they dun have aquatic plants.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Erm, because I can't seem to take good pictures? Lack the skills really. But good news is, I am brushing on it now, will post photos (for submission or sharing) when I feel more confident.
    Who made up all these rules?
    We follow 'em like fools.
    Believe 'em to be true.
    Don't care to think 'em through.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It was the prize for me. Didn't it seem strange to offer a book on plants when AQ's already a very comprehensive source of info? When choy's around at least...

An interesting thing to do would've been to have some rare species of crypt as the prize. Or a bag of ADA powersand? haha, stuff people use or could make use of essentially.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    After starting my working career as a photographer, I've unfortunately been too put off to consider the task. Now I don't even own a camera.

Moreover, my plants don't look good...

Don't be discouraged by the poor response. Perhaps people prefer to shoot fish and id plants instead? This forum is excellent with contest or not.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami
    After starting my working career as a photographer, I've unfortunately been too put off to consider the task. Now I don't even own a camera.

Moreover, my plants don't look good...

Don't be discouraged by the poor response. Perhaps people prefer to shoot fish and id plants instead? This forum is excellent with contest or not.

Maybe that could be the reason why people are not shooting plants since they are worried that their plants are covered with algae or something?

But I think Benny's original idea was that plants is much easier to shoot as they are very much stationary... Whereas fishes are dynamic and not so easy to shoot... Which might put off more people...

I agree with Lawrence... Let's continue with the contest next month! Response can only get better...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by baranne
    Would have liked to enter, but couldn't find time to sit down and have a shot (don't really have many plant varieties in any case)... maybe should try tomorrow if I can find time off from taking care of my baby...
    Tried a few shots and realised that my water is full of particles! So all the shots turned out very poor. The green spot algae does not help too.

Hopefully can try the next ones.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe we can have a pop up on the top of the page where the pictures are to give the event more exposure. I also agree with Thomas on, most of the members are too shy to submit in their entries after looking at some of the 'stuff' being displayed. ADA also took some of the attention off the event. Maybe we can have a point and shoot tutorial in the later part of the year. I think it just needs some tweaking, all things are difficult in the beginning.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    No time, plus I have to pay for shipping.
    Eric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast