Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Weird Furry Black Algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys, any of you know what kinda algae this is? Forgot to switch on my aquarium light one morning and when i came back. This weird thing was growing on the leaves of some of my plants

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...1&d=1146396402

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...1&d=1146396402

Any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Might be a one-off case. Clean it off if possible (it looks easy to wipe off) and see if it comes back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Picture is pretty bad for a good ID. The treatment for algae is pretty standard and does require work. Remove all traces of algae from plant leaves/tank/equipment by either trimming/prunning/scrubbing and etc (no algacide please.). Clean the tank glass/filter well (mechanical section only). Do a large water change of 50% or more and dose back enough nutrients. Crank the CO2 and make sure you have 25-35ppm of CO2 throughout the day except for the first hour in which the CO2 is needed to build up. Test it several times over a day's cycle and see if you can hit the target well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I agree with Peter. I think this is the same algae (among others) that I had earlier. Sufficient, steady CO2 and nutrients really makes the difference (thanks Peter for helping me out earlier).

The algae in question was kind of slimey, brownish and is easily removed by rubbing with fingers. Once cleaned from leaves, I 'employed' a couple of Otos and a dozen Yamatos and voila... didn't get it anymore.
    Psst...beware of the armless swordsman!
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    much obliged for the help guys, cranking up the co2 might prove a lil difficult seeing as i've got a diy going. >_< but i'll scrub and water change and see how it goes! xD