Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: DIY Automatic Water Top-Up

DIY Automatic Water Top-Up

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys!

I'm losing a lot of water each week due to evaporation, so I'm wondering if anyone has rigged up such a gadget before? I've read through some posts regarding the usual method of using electric float valves - where can I get them cheaply? I hope not to spend more than $80 if possible.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    If you're not much of a DIY man like me (a complete idiot when it comes to DIYing), then just plonk down $150 and get the float switch from Dupla. Works like a charm.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you're not much of a DIY man like me (a complete idiot when it comes to DIYing), then just plonk down $150 and get the float switch from Dupla. Works like a charm.
    ----------------
    Dupla float switch is indeed very good.. me personally have tried it for my old 3ft tank..

if u want to DIY.. u can try looking for them in SIM LIM square.. or sungei road.. they can be as low as $15.. 1/10 of what dupla cost..
    []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Hmm ... judging by what you guys say, does it mean that if I just get the $15 float switch I'll have to wire up the circuit to the power source and to the powerhead? And the dupla one comes with outlets already attached?

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm ... judging by what you guys say, does it mean that if I just get the $15 float switch I'll have to wire up the circuit to the power source and to the powerhead? And the dupla one comes with outlets already attached?
    ----------------
    errr.. nope.. basically, the cheaper float switch is very similiar to that of the dupla switch except that the latter's electrical components are encapsulated, making it looking like a orange sausage.. [] while the cheaper float switch, comes in 2 adjointing parts....
    and lastly, both of them do not come with power source or outlets etc.. u need to wire them up!!![:0]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Hi Kel

I'm also interested in this thing. Could u post pics of yours n explain it??? And where can get the DIY thing??? Which shop???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi adrianli,
    u mean that the float switch is not up yet?? hahaha.. ok..
    sorry.. but i dun have a pic to show u as i dun have a scanner.. the float switch comes with 2 wires.. where one of them will go to LIVE and the other to earth. and this is connected to a pump, which will be activated when the water level is down..

anyway guys.. u can go to this site to look for the different float switch.....
    float switch
    or go to this topic float switch topic

Feedback Score
    You can look up farnell.com.
    They stock a variety of float switches cheaply for different industrial applications which can be used in aquariums but you must know what you're ordering and piece it together!

wah ... so cheem!! Can anyone kindly assist me in doing this? otherwise I think I'll just stick to the routine of dumping a tau-huei container of aged water into the sump everyday. Problem is, I always forget ...

Hi

I've done it!!!

Therez an explaination!!!

Hope you guys luck.

Thanks for the pix!! Helps a lot!

But I noticed u used black tape to tape all 3 sets of wires together - won't this risk having stray current if this part of the circuit touches the water?

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Hi

None of the white wire comes in contact with water. The length of the wire is enough to go out of the tank. No problem at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    this is adrianli's site..
    diagram

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    to reduce such risk.. instead of using black tape.. u can do up a circuit box.. using a 'caterpillar'(those that are whitish and have to unscrew the top to put the wires in)to connect the live.. and the other side with all the other electrical components.. and all u need to do is just operate from that switch.. however, the floating switch will always be on.. a bit confusing hor.. sorry.. [:]

i think u better change the wires to steel wan. if somehow the copper wires come into contact wif ur tank..BOOM!!
    copper contamination!!then u cannot keep inverts n lr for a very long time
    Acroporids and Tridacnids