Images
    Country
    Singapore

What is BP?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I found at Guardian pharmacy some Sodium Bicarbonate in a nice 100g bottle with larger opening than the Bake King baking soda from NTUC.
    Although cost more ($3.25) than $1 Bake King baking soda. Thought of giving it a trial.
    The bottle label the content as "Sodium Bicarbonate BP". Anyone know what is "BP" means ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could it be "Baking Powder"?

Other than the Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate), what else are in the ingredient list?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The name of the product is "Sodium Bicarbonate Power" :

and the content is just stated as "Sodium Bicarbonate BP" :

Think its safe to use ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure if it contains something else.

On the baking shelves, they sell Baking Soda and Baking Powder. Baking Powder is Baking Soda plus something else. I notice that Baking Soda is purely Sodium Bicarbonate and it doesn't cloud water. Baking Powder clouds water. Both both did not cause any problem during the days when I used it for DIY CO2.

But for fertilisation or raising kH in the tank, I am not sure...
    I have never used Baking Soda in my tanks, as I prefer sea shells or coral chips.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps i could offer a little input. The BP behind "sodium bicarbonate" doesnt mean there's an additional ingredient. An additional ingredient would have a commar seperating them, just like every other product we buy.

The reason why you see the "BP" behind, is because what you purchased was pharmacy grade sodium bicarbonate. And chemicals produced for medical usage, are tested to specifications set by different bodies. Besides BP, there's also USP and EP (which means british, united states, and european pharmacopoeia respectively).

im not sure if the baking soda sold at baking shops contain more than just NaHCO3 (you will know if you check the ingredient list), but as far as your case is concerned, no, you're getting ONLY NaHCO3.

Yet at the same time, its good to know having said that, that you're still probably not getting 100% pure NaHCO3. Perhaps 99.5 or 99.8%? and that depends on the BP's set of specifications. but i dun think there's much to worry over the .5 .8 etc, cos i suspect pharmacy grade should have less inpurities than food grade?

hope it helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks !
    Thats really good infor. Thats probably why it costs more than the baking grade.