Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand of salt

Feedback Score

Brand of salt

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone cares to share your favourite brand(s) of salt? Where do u get it from? Is it advisable to buy salt in bulk?

Thanks for the contributions.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone cares to share your favourite brand(s) of salt? Where do u get it from? Is it advisable to buy salt in bulk?
    ----------------
    personally, i would buy in bulk as i have air-tight container which will prevent the salt from becoming chunks and loses some of their properties... currently, me using coralife.. can be purchase at ard $60 for 20kg at Petmart.. some of us use higher quality salt that can range from $28 for 5kg or something like that.. one of them that i know is Spiff.. hehehe[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    I use Tropic Marin. It is a pharmaceutical grade salt. Very very good. I set up a 6'x2'x2½'ft tank and was just to test the water. Guess what, pH=8.3, dkH=8 on the first try! The salt is very high qulity and coraline algae is very where on the 100kg live rocks!

I will slowly use it in my to-be coral tank. Coralife is what I use now and I don't think its that good. That my own opinion.

Tropic Marin is at $95 per box meant for 150 USG.

Regards
    Danny

Feedback Score
    Appreciate ur views. I've come across tropic marin too. Maybe I should try that.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, i just switched from coral life to red sea, don't notice a diff except that red sea a little bit milky.
    Forced to change cause red sea is the only available brand near me(Tampines,$8.20 per 2 kg) although a few dollars more, usually 1 only buy a big pack of coral life from pacific marine 8kg about $18-trace elements not that high but its crystal clear.

----------------
    On 6/24/2002 12:21:00 AM

some of us use higher quality salt that can range from $28 for 5kg or something like that.. one of them that i know is Spiff.. hehehe[]
    ----------------
    wa lau kel...my wan is only instant ocean leh........tropic marin is the most ex brand of salt in s'pore.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    basically, coralife is cheap and good.. but tropic marine is ex.. well.. if u have the extra dough.. do go for it..[] anyway.. it is personal preference..

for me, i find red sea no good.. so.. again.. it is different in opinions.. so.. u might want to consider those brands that we mentioned and give it a try.. and stick to the one u like best.. basically, the salt will set the basic requirements for the aquarium.. all the properties will be nothing if u dun take care of your tank..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Ghee guyz...

The best salt is Marine Environment...sadly...no one carries this brand in SG....I chanced upon this brand while I was in HK. This is the closest one can get to NSW.

I am currently using Tropic Marin but am going to switch to Bio-Sea when my new tank arrives. My utmost humble 2-cents worth: Apparently...(according to some lab testing done overseas)...both Coralife and Tropic Marin faired rather badly in terms of the vital trace elements....lots of advertising gimmicks....lots of stuff (the good elements) that they promised on their packaging were found at very low levels when the tests were conducted.

Hmmm....if I can recall correctly...coralife faired worse than Tropic Marin....but both had the failed grade.

Bio-Sea is more expensive than Tropic Marin....

I must admit I am quite satisfied with TM...but will give Bio-Sea a try....to see how.

Hope this helps...

Feedback Score
    I like tropic marin cos it dissolves easily.

Spiff, I use IO too! Clap clap! []
    It's highly recommended by US reefers though, and I've been having good results with it as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am currently using Tropic Marin but am going to switch to Bio-Sea when my new tank arrives.

wah cau, lionel.. u are indeed willing to splurg on this leh.. hahaha..

Feedback Score
    Kel...

No choice lar...4 the sake of my darling fishies n corals...

In btw....where u gonna get bio-sea salt from? Pls advise me on pricing too.

Tks heaps!

Feedback Score
    Where can I get Instant Ocean?
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lionel.. me not getting bio-sea salt.. me gonna stay with coralife.. serves the purpose, and most impt, fits my budget.. me not working leh.. []

Feedback Score
    Hi Kel!

U koe where got sell Bio-Sea salt?

M desperately trying to find it...

Anyone else care to advice?

Triple...

cleaner, can get io from kwangs at $25 or from havelock.....

lionel...y so desperate? jus use any gd quality salts like io,reefcrystal,kent,coralife,tropic marin can liao ma....
    i really think u shld save the cash n get gd equipments.!! like chiller if u running mh

DA SPS GUY hehehe
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lionel...y so desperate? jus use any gd quality salts like io,reefcrystal,kent,coralife,tropic marin can liao ma....
    i really think u shld save the cash n get gd equipments.!! like chiller if u running mh
    ----------------
    Lionel.. true lah.. in fact, like i had mentioned.. as long as the salt provide the basic requirements.. it should be fine.. it is more like how u gonna maintain the tank.. IMO.. some of these researchs and findings, i find them a bit suspect.. coz it could be done by firms related to the products instead of independent firms.. eg. SISIR.. or something like that.. to ensure the quality..

Feedback Score
    Kel...

Me wan (hope 2 get) the best for my new tank lar....u koe my pattern lar....

Got everything u mentioned liao....MH...Chiller....

Now ALL I m looking for is bio-sea brand of salt...

M still comtemplating on a CA reactor though...ghee...

4ble

Feedback Score
    Oops..

Sorrie...my earlier reply was addressed to both Spiff n Kel.

Tks []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well.. IMO.. instead of splurging on such quality salt whose properties are 'upgraded' by marketers, (me majoring in marketing..[]).. it is more of influencing the mindset of the consumers.. just one question, are we able to tell the physical difference or after mixing the mixture.. or be able to tell how much variations or deviations from the ideal level?

consider this.. with the amt of $$$ saved from cheaper salt, u will be able to purchase the Calcium reactor.. and with that, u benefit more.. than using 'high' quality salt.. perhaps u can do an experiment.. using normal quality sea salt with 'high' quality sea salt.. with same parameters and equipment.. i bet u see that there will be no difference.. as the condition of the tank is attributed more to care and maintenance.. me just dun want u to anyhow spend $$$.. u know me.. i just buy the essential items only.. []

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast