Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by barmby
    Wah lau eh, weather very hot these days, my shrimps cannot tahan leow...
    Seven Morning Eight Morning Cry Father Cry Mother

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Camper
    Wahliaoz! Translated into the authentic way is qi zha pua zha kao peh kao bu...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by valice
    Wahliaoz! Translated into the authentic way is qi zha pua zha kao peh kao bu...
    Heh , thanks for the direct translation, its now in my saved 'file of Singlish words and phrases'.

Regards
    Cameron

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yah that's an unwieldy word-for-word translation. If I were to paraphrase it would go so: "Early in the morning kao peh lah."
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    as i am english, and am mancunian which means i was born and lived there all my life, we have a different dialect to say someone born in london,
    but trying to explain it is not easy, an instance is a person from the north east is called a geordie most of the country find it hard to understand them especially if the talk fast, it's classed as a local dialect.
    so cameron if you came to england there are places you would not understand what they were talking about.
    ive met up with benny and if all the lads can speak english as well as him i'll just speak my own language.

cheers
    mick

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by mickthefish
    as i am english, and am mancunian which means i was born and lived there all my life, we have a different dialect to say someone born in london,
    but trying to explain it is not easy, an instance is a person from the north east is called a geordie most of the country find it hard to understand them especially if the talk fast, it's classed as a local dialect.
    so cameron if you came to england there are places you would not understand what they were talking about.
    ive met up with benny and if all the lads can speak english as well as him i'll just speak my own language.
    cheers
    mick
    Hi Mick

The Jocks and the Geordies

I am actually of Scottish descent and even I have difficulty in understanding some of the European 'english' dialects.

I have no doubt that Most Singaporeans can speak fluent English, I mean just look at the standard of english here on this website. I am genuinely interested in the Singapore culture so I decided that I would like to peak into it. Learning a bit of Singlish (even though its not an 'official language') would be a nice way to do this. Obviously I would speak english when in Singapore but it would be nice to drop a few Singlish words just to 'impress the locals' and for a bit of fun. When in Rome . . . . . .

Kind regards
    Cameron

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wah HappyCamper singlish bery powderful liao ... if dun tell me, i also dunno he not singaporean le ... kudos kudos
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    wah HappyCamper singlish bery powderful liao ... if dun tell me, i also dunno he not singaporean le ... kudos kudos

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mickthefish
    Mick, what does Geordie really mean? I know those from Liverpool are known as Scoursers... And what does it mean too? OT abit ar... Paiseh...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Mick

The Jocks and the Geordies

I am actually of Scottish descent and even I have difficulty in understanding some of the European 'english' dialects.

I have no doubt that Most Singaporeans can speak fluent English, I mean just look at the standard of english here on this website. I am genuinely interested in the Singapore culture so I decided that I would like to peak into it. Learning a bit of Singlish (even though its not an 'official language') would be a nice way to do this. Obviously I would speak english when in Singapore but it would be nice to drop a few Singlish words just to 'impress the locals' and for a bit of fun. When in Rome . . . . . .

Kind regards
    Cameron
    Cameron,

In Singapore, English is the first language. Mandarin, Tamil and Malay are the mothertongue languages of the Chinese, Indians and Malays.

Everybody learns the first language in school. The respective races learn the mothertongues. All subjects, save the mothertongues and a few other exceptions are taught in English. English is the offical language for business.

We have no idea what the fathers speak, other then Singlish...

But then, if you go by typical Asian traditions, fathers don't really have to speak. They just need to signal, grunt, or at most give mono-syllabic orders.

In modern times, fathers don't get to speak.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    vincent i'll try and find out for you, i think scousers comes from a stew that they cook, in time gone by when the poor people used to use anything edible and it all went in a pot thats called scouse, and they still cook it today.
    will find out about the geordies it may go back a few 100yrs,
    it's like the yanks call us limeys because when we used to have the sail ships men got scurvy and the preventative was fresh limes, hence the name limeys.

mick

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK Cameron, listen to how to speak Singlish http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=20980
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh and Cameron, if you REALLY want to learn Singlish, and try to register at this site http://www.forumsvibe.com/kopitiam/i...forum=kopitiam

inside all just relax one corner talk about plants, and things like that. strictly in Singlish hor. once get in go and intro yourself, say the Buaya sent you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    oh and Cameron, if you REALLY want to learn Singlish, and try to register at this site http://www.forumsvibe.com/kopitiam/i...forum=kopitiam

inside all just relax one corner talk about plants, and things like that. strictly in Singlish hor. once get in go and intro yourself, say the Buaya sent you.
    I'd like that but that link gives a page error. Will try again later. Thanks hwchoy.
    What is your first name by the way?

Regards
    Cameron

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just now that kopitiam power outage. now OK already. go and see. remember to visit my meepok stall.

btw, limpeh's name is Heng Wah, but you have to call me unker.

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Thats uncanny, my Girlfriends name is Anka, pronoubnced the same way as Unker.

I'll see you at Kopitiam now now. I'll bring the biscuits

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'll see you at Kopitiam now now. I'll bring the biscuits

no biscuit at the kopitiam, just goreng pisang.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

your gerfren is Paul Anka?

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    mmmmm....fried BANANAS sounds delicious, but i am allergic

http://www.paulanka.com/ .....
    You pai-kiah one...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    keep practising…

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast