Country
    Indonesia

DIY super clear Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear All,

I want to try making a DIY tank 80 x 45 x 45, using local (s'pore) manufacturer's 10mm-thick super clear glass (since ADA tanks cost a fortune).

Question:

1. Are local super clear glass strong enough?
    2. To copy ADA tanks' quality, what things (sealant/tools) do I have to use?

Thank you.

CHris

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Chris, welcome to AQ.

I've moved your thread to Equipment here because I'm sure that you'll receive much better replies here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ Chris!

A) For glass, Starphire is ideal. There is another glass similar to Starphire but I have read in some forum that that glass ( not the starphire ) would 'pit' easily. I've forgotten the glass type though.

B) Your tank is nearly 7ft long if your measurement are by inches. I would think 12 or even 15mm thick glass must be used. But if it's in cm, 10mm is abit overkill. But it's your choice. I do not know what sealant ADA is using but from looking at their tank, I do not think they are using silicone as a sealant.

If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Thx moderator,

and thx too for the reply. As far as i know, ADA tanks only use 8mm thickness for the glass garden clear 90 x 45 x 45...

and for starphire, issit the same material that ADA uses?

there must be a cheaper way to get ADA quality aqua tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought ADA's tank is one piece without any joints? Or is it only for their 2ft tanks?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From what I do know, you can get a custom made 90 x 45 x 45(cm) tank made of 12mm, Grade 1(pretty clear, not as clear as Starphire, but I honestly have no idea where to get Starphire locally) glass done by a good and reliable tank maker here for around $80.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Hi valice,

If you check ADA brochure, the only type that has no joint is the Cube Garden Series, and the largest is 60 cm in length. The next best thing is ADA Glass Garden Clear, which has joints, and they claimed to use super quality durable silicon

Hi brian,

As for grade 1, I know there are some good tanks too, but my challenge is to copy ADA tank, and I'm searching for some supplier for this....It may not be cheaper than buying directly from ADA, but then, this is out of my curiosity

Thanks all, will keep searching