Country
    Singapore

Lionheads dropping scales

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I could use a bit of advice here.

I've got four Lionheads; two of them are golden-scaled, the other two are dominantly white with orange heads. They're sharing the tank with three corys and two Angelfishes.

For the last 2 weeks now scales from the latter two Lionheads have been sporadically dropping. The other two golden-scaled Lionheads haven't dropped scales in contrast.

I've watched the two Angelfishes closely; one of them has recently started pecking occasionally on the Lionheads, but not persistently from what I can see so far.

Nitrite and ammonia levels are at zero; I don't have test kits for pH or nitrate yet, but I do about 25% to 40% water changes every week. Water temperature is maintained around 28 to 30 degrees everyday.

Feeding frequency is every 18 hours they get a big hearty meal of three food types (dried bloodworms, floating pellets and flake).

At the moment, only the scales have dropped; but I haven't seen them lose colour, appetite, or any other symptoms of distress yet. They still look hale and hearty and are pretty active.

Any advice on what could be the matter?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would say it is the angels' fault...

Goldfish and tropical fish should not be in the same tank, in the beginning, anyway...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah - I was just wondering could it be because of some other reason (e.g. illness). The four Lionheads are the original inhabitants of the tank, and the two Angels have never bothered the goldfish previously before for the last 4 months now.

I've just separated the two species into separate tanks to see if the situation improves.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wzierbovsky
    Yeah - I was just wondering could it be because of some other reason (e.g. illness). The four Lionheads are the original inhabitants of the tank, and the two Angels have never bothered the goldfish previously before for the last 4 months now.

I've just separated the two species into separate tanks to see if the situation improves.
    Hi,
    Watch floating pellets carefully, they cause air locks inside the goldfish. These fish have to eat while taking in air. These trapped air will press against their swim bladders and in serious cases, the swim bladders will be damaged and the goldfish will swim upside down eventually, losing their balance.

We can often see the little air bubbles in their long stream of waste.

Besides, Angelfish are territorial. They must grown bigger since the last time they were introduced into the tank.

Regards.