Country
    Singapore

Re: Do you read up before buying?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Philosophos,

If you get attached to small fishes, wait till you get a big fish like a large cichlid or an arowana. When I lost my arowana, it was like loosing a pet cat or dog. It was the same day that Aquarama (a large aquarium trade show) started and I could not bare to walk over to the arowana competition area.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I'm not sure how attached to a fish I could get. I've killed, gutted and eaten so many trout in my childhood that it might take some work. At least it'd take a while to make it feel like a cat or dog. We'll see what happens when I get the discus tank running, though. $50/fish can buy a lot of attachment.

On a random side note, my fiance just informed me while doing research that dwarf hair grass (Eleocharis acicularis) grows wild around here. We're never paying for it again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophos View Post

On a random side note, my fiance just informed me while doing research that dwarf hair grass (Eleocharis acicularis) grows wild around here. We're never paying for it again.
    Another reason why you should read before you buy.

We go trekking around here and find Cryptocoryne, moss, etc and "water grass" suddenly have scientific names. But, most of us don't "harvest" them... there are usually only small patches of them. Another reason we tend not to reveal these spots publicly on AQ.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

You're lucky to find cryptocryne and aquatic moss. Even if you only take a clipping and clone it, it's nice to be able to get started for free.

I think there are maybe 12 known species total that are suited to 25c+ water around here. It snows in the winters here, so the plants aren't suited to tropical aquariums. Most of the plants that can be used look like hornwort, and are considered noxious weeds introduced by the aquarium hobby.

-Philosophos

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Always. I just want to be informed properly before deciding to purchase something.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Usually if I see any mice fishes that I like in LFS, I will tale note of their names n go home do intensive research before deciding a purchase... Haha I will wait n read even more on the tank set up etc.. N consider alot before buying

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Perhaps, price itself is indeed a major drawback for someone who wishes to acquire them, so they have to think very carefully & this prompts them to include the cost of keeping them in the long term. Dogs & cats are very much the common term of pet many people associate them with. Many people knows they have to walk the dog if they ever keep one. All these makes them think twice before buying one but unfortunately, we still tend to see a lot of these animals being neglected & end up in animal shelters.

As for me, I tend to read up a lot on fishes, particularly the genus itself, since species within genus somehow behaves & breeds almost reasonably the same way.

regards,
    Shi Xuan
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    China

if they looks ok i will get them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12