Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do you read up before buying?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hmm... I noticed that there are quite a lot of questions from AQ members on their aquatic pets AFTER they had bought them... Or desperate to get rid of them because, 1) they grew too big, 2) they ate something the members love, 3) too fierce/agressive/territorial, 4) done their 'job' etc...

IMO, I think this is a very bad practice. What happens to the fellows to be dumped? If no one wants to adopt them, do they get dumped into the water systems in Singapore?

A lot of the animals, fish, snails etc do not belong to the natural system here and releasing them here is not a good idea...

How many of you guys will actually read up on the intended animals you are eyeing before you actually buy them? By reading up, you will know their behaviour, diet preference, eventual size etc...

Why would you read up on a dog or cat before buying them but not do so for fish and aquatic animals? Is it the price? The size? The emotional attachment?

Let me stick this up...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think what happen sometimes is that people walk into the LFS and see some fish which they like and just buy if it's not too expensive. When they bought it back that's when they realise that they may not have the right stuff to keep the fishes. Sad to say, I used to be one of these people, but now I won't after seeing my fishes died. Have to say that I learn it the hard way. But now I have an idea of what I can afford to keep and I will resist the temptations to buy fishes which I don't know about the conditions needed to keep it.
    A noob & poor aquarist

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LOL, I suffered from collectivitis myself. There are some members of the community tank that I do want to remove (for reasons of them being obssesive with the food) and have several fellow forumers who want to adopt them (thankfully) however, I guess retribution comes in its own form.

I can't catch those that I want to give away for adoption due to the dense vegetation in the tank! So until I decide to yank out ALL the plants, they'll still be in the tank.

Plus point is that the collectivitis virus has gone past its phase now. Learnt a lot from the initial attack.

visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is not plain collectivitis... Some guys will just buy something, eg, a baby oscar, because it looks cute and harmless. Then as it grows, they THEN realise that the cute little thing is becoming a monster, eating their precious little blue and red fish... Then they either decide to throw the fish away, 'free' it in a local water system or give it away...

There are many other such cases, a gourami growing too big for a 14" tank, a red-tailed cat decided to eat all its tank mates, snails that eat young leaves and suddenly bloom in population, a crayfish that tears its tankmates apart etc...

The fish were then 'punished' for their 'bad behaviour' by death or release into the local waters... And then we ask, why not ask or read up on the subject before purchase?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thankfully I don't fall in that range, I can safely say that I do read up (species, behaviour and most importantly compatibility) before purchasing a livestock.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    This is one of the topic that have been around this wonderful hobby from a longtime and a solution is never found. This is also one of the reason why online forum like AQ is important for hobbist like us to do some research b4before committing to any livestock.

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I have to admit that I fall into the collectivitis category but have kept it in check for a while now... Usually I do not get my fishes once I see what I like unless I travel quite far and don't think I would be coming back anytime soon or it is a deal to good to be true to get me into the buying impulse. However since I very stingy one, don't happen to me often. I do try to find out more info on the fishes that I want to keep (must be safe for shrimplets so almost all the fishes not suitable except current boraras, clown killie and scarlet badis). Luckily I into community tanks and small faunas so such major destruction stuff don't happen to me.

However, I cannot say the same for plants. Just bought 2 yesterday without getting an id on 1 plant. The other one I know.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fish are a... more alive thing, something like cats and dogs and rabbits etc, so I usually think twice before buying.

I agree it's usually that collecter syndrome... I grew out of that pretty fast imho =x

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't exactly suffer this symptom.. Mine is more as follows..

Uncle/Kaki gives me fish he doesn't want anymore.. (Small)
    I continue to grow them... (Medium)
    Pass the grown up fish to someone who appreciates fishes that size.. (Big)

Of course not all the fish I get from him I pass on. And the same goes for him..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I do quite a fair bit of homework before buying fishes. But of course most of my spending habits are influenced by my experience with the particular species.
    I won't if I can't, but I can so I'll mix...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me, im on a vegetarian diet, thus i'm opting for those whose on a herbivourous diet as well.

therefore research will definitely be important. =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    After more than a decade in fishkeeping, I'm less prone to collectivitis but occassionally, if during a visit to the LFS, I see something not so commonly available, unique, very very nice and easy on the pocket, I might just succumb to purchasing it. In most cases like this, I will then do research before putting it in the appropriate tank at home.
    Check out my blog, True Tales From The Darkside
    http://www.firespitter38.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    ah yes. Have a story to go with this.
    My dad and I love this certain small fish called "Cardinal Tetra". My mother's favorite fish is called... the "Angel Fish". So, naturally we put both fish together... after missing a few of my favorites, the Angels went to another place where they were much better appreciated!
    Unfortunately, this wasn't the first time something of that sort has happened to me because of my ignorance... When I kept discus fish a few years back I saw a bunch of shrimp at the LFS, and just had to add them to my tank... all but two ended up for a light snack. surprisingly though, I still have those two in my community tank. They are pretty old, and nice and plump- they berry every 2nd month or so. Still trying to find a male for them... the LFS people don't seem too excited about sexing the little guys for me! Anyway, I have learned to do research before I buy. speaking of which... have any of you guys heard of a "Pearl Gourami"?
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzleDiscus View Post
    Anyway, I have learned to do research before I buy. speaking of which... have any of you guys heard of a "Pearl Gourami"?
    That would be Trichogaster leerii. Too fanciful for your liking?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    oh definately not too fancy! Actually I'm trying to locate a fish store within 2 hours of where I live that actually sell them!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    On the other hand, the seller should also play a part to educate the buyers. Many LFS only want to make money. I overheard one LFS telling a customer that he can house two Red Tail Cat in a 2 FT tank and this is misleading the customer to buy a 2ft tank set and 2 red tail cat.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 1st Nov 2007 at 13:43. Reason: 'n' is a letter, not a word

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Shopkeepers aside, I seriously think potential pet owners, be it for cats, dogs or fish, should read up on their potential purchase...

If they had read up to begin with, the customers would know how big a red-tail catfish will grow to and won't be taken in by the shopkeeper's lies or ill-informed 'facts'...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Yeah. Some people don't want to have their hopes die from knowledge of the facts. I know I used to hate to research anything because it would show me that I couldn't do what I wanted to do. You sort of make excuses as to why you can do something when you know it's not ideal. (The red cats are cute when they're young... and you know... they shouldn't grow that fast... if he becomes a problem I'm sure they'll take him back) yeah right!
    also, newcomers to the hobby see a tank that they like and without planning they sometimes attempt to create a perfect little paradise with their absolute favorite fish... in a ten gallon tank. Been there, done that... got the T-shirt, and learned greatly from it!

yeah, about the shopkeepers though- since they are working there, they should know what they're doing right? I mean, that is their playing field. Sadly, that doesn't always hold true, and in this case is rarely true. The same goes for other businesses. You should ALWAYS research into something no matter if it is fish related or not.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 2nd Nov 2007 at 13:57. Reason: sorta

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    did 6 months of reading before I put up my first aquarium, though I must confess I still had a lot of problems with plants and a medium to high death rate with fish till I got it right (another 6 months of anguish!)

Always read /research any fish or plant I plan to buy...............saves a lot of hassles....

did the same before i got my golden retriever too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Re: Do you read up before buying?

I research because I don't enjoy wasting time or money. As far as I understand it, Fish lack the capacity to be aware of pain, or have awareness of their own decision making process. Fish actually lake the parts of their nervous system required for either function. Besides that, there's no theory of mind or sapience shown by these little guys. I also love eating fish. I can't see why anyone would complain about getting rid of fish if they've been eating meat of any kind.

Rationality aside, I do become attached to my fish. In the same way though, I'm pretty attached to my plants. Fortunately, I haven't started talking to my plants yet... only the fish.

- Philosophos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast