Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

New fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Chaca Chaca hes an ADULT and about 7 inches. Thats about all he does except when he is under the sand. He will wait for food then explode up wards and catch his prey. Starting tomorrow, I will monitor the PH daily to see how fast the chacas digestive juices can alter the PH in the tank. The tank will be stocked with feeders for a while to act as a barometer in the event the PH drops to far since the feeders are more sensitive to a PH drop than the other fish. Fortunately most fish except for the Chaca are considered a pest since they are numerous in their native land and hard to kill. Some can ask "why such a booring fish as the frog mouth?" Well think about it. With most things is it the daily routine things you admire or the exceptional rare things that make you stop and look? The Chaca may not do much but when he does do is well worth the wait.

oxyeleotris marmorata I have 2 of these at about 5 inches. They walk along the bottom of the tank when moving and rarely swim. They are very hostile to anything that comes near it. There speed is incredible when feeding and they are quite powerful. I named the 2 rhino and dino since that is what they look like when walking around on 'patrol.'

Anguilla marmorata , my fresh water mottled eel is around 10 inches and always out except when I am getting pics. :apoc: He is a great hunter and loves live food. He caught a feeder too large for it, swallowed what it could and pointed itself down in the sand and spun it like a drill bit (a death role) to rip it to pieces quite effectively. The second feeder was too large entirely. After a few minutes of 'drilling' he let go of the fish save for the tail. One of the gobies came up and bit the feeder in half :bigO: save for the tail section that the eel finished off.

Pics are from a web cam. Better ones later.

Got pics of the eel!!! These guys get over 6 feet and can and will routinely check for any escape route out of the tank. He eventually will get a tank to himself when he is bigger. He won't be pencil thin when he gets to adulthood. More like a big beefy moray that as far as I can see has no teeth.Click her for a pic of an adult I'm guessing is 4 -5 foot I don't want to infringe on anyone elses property(Pics.)

I got all of these fish from Franksaquarium.com. This by far, bar none is the best fish shipment I've ever recieved. I am very impressed. This is the first time I ever recieved fish that are large healthy fish from anyone. These are not little delicate fish barely bigger than fry. They are adults or nearly so. They are active, happy and eating feeders already except for the Chaca at least I didn't see him eat. I very highly recommend Frank to anyone. He was very helpful, as excited as I was about all this and able to locate my highly sought after perfect box of fish. If you ever are looking for an oddball fish Frank is the guy to ask. My cam does not do them justice.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 17th May 2006 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Gee, thanks! don't hold back .... I'll mosey back to my board now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it seen to me fish in the picture looked well fed..

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZU
    it seen to me fish in the picture looked well fed..
    The sand goby is well known to be a glutton.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sand goby = "soon hock"?

EDIT: Googled & found. oxyeleotris marmorata = sand goby = soon hock (locally known as)
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    The 'sand gobys' are popular here, especially deepfried.
    Very true, but I prefer my fish swimming. Expecially since I know what they eat. In my aquarium I can control the quality of their meals but in the wild? EWWWW.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Daddy072,
    I don't think budak intended it that way. Anyway, welcome to Aquatic Quotient, your Chaka chaka and goby is looking good. I'm a catfish lover too so if anything PM me or start a new thread and we'll discuss it. I might not know everything but I'm sure we'll find the answer here or at the very least have fun finding it. Sorry couldn't share with you earlier on your thread as I was preoccupied, a friend of mine got struck by some deadly pleco plague.
    PS: the goby you got there can grow to big proportions. I have seen 10 kg specimens! It is common to catch 4-7 kg specimen in the wild in Malaysia. And they have a appetite to match. Very predatory, I would advise doing some research before finding him tankmates.

Cheers,
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually I think this should be posted at the freshwater section. will the mod please move it.

daddyo72, first of all welcome to AQ and do tell us a little about yourself. Don't get too shock about eating aquatic "pets" as most of the fishes does comprise the native food chain. our highly prized pleco are no more than a delicacy in the Amazon. Your native shiners are very interesting to us, whereas your sand goby is found most often in our restaurant tanks.

let me hasten to add however, the forum owner determines the scope of discssion. eating and cooking of fishes, are as much a part of the fish "eco-system" as much as their rearing and keeping. even scientists concern themselves with how fishes are consumed.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Oxyeleotris marmorata is also known as marble goby based on the black patches on it's body, which is visible in crystal clear water. It tends to fade in murky water and able to camouflage itself as part of the driftwood.

A glutton but hardly put on weight because it is an extremely slow grower and have a long lifespan. These fellas can reach about 5-6 kg given the space and food. However, their fries will be very difficult to care for because they will not be able to take most of the cultured livefeed available including microworms.

Nice fish to have and play with as they'll kind of bloat-up under threat to make themselve look bigger. Only happens when they are handled. This will not harm them to much although not advisable because they have rather big mouths that can swallow fishes almost 70% of their size. Extremely hardy and can live out of water for 1-2 hours.

Wild native populations currently under threat by development and also introduced foreign fish species especially extremely aggresive cichlids which outgrow and prey on them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyo72

Got pics of the eel!!! These guys get over 6 feet and can and will routinely check for any escape route out of the tank. He eventually will get a tank to himself when he is bigger. He won't be pencil thin when he gets to adulthood. More like a big beefy moray that as far as I can see has no teeth.Click her for a pic of an adult I'm guessing is 4 -5 foot I don't want to infringe on anyone elses property(Pics.)
    You saying that Eel in the link has no teeth????? i mean seriously..
    i wouldn't put my hand near its face in the water if you ask me..

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Upon furter investigation, it appears that at some point they do get teeth. ATM I don't see any but he is only a foot.

I had no idea they bloat up to look bigger if threatened. Interesting.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 29th May 2006 at 23:33.