Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Will newts fight or eat live fishes?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Will newts fight or eat live fishes?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi i might be going to Thailand and i was jsut wondering what would happen if i were to put a newt in a tank with a betta? will the newt eat the betta or will they fight?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Depends on several factors:
    - Species of newt. Some like the Paddletail newt is fast and aggressive enough to go after fish.
    - Is the fish small enough to fit in the newt's mouth? Newts have to swallow they prey whole.

The betta might pick on/nip/bite the newt if it is a very aggressive and/or territorial individual. That's not good for the newt as they have very thin skins and breaking the skin will invite fungal growths and sores... which usually lead to death.

Newts are not very agile... only capable of sudden well aimed bursts to capture prey, so if the fish decides to bully the newt, it won't have a chance of getting away or defending itself.

In conclusion, my recommendation is NOT to risk it.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If yours is a paddletail, do NOT risk any fish. I had a paddletail that eats almost any fish in the tank. And don't think the mouth looks very small, it can swallow a fish almost as big or bigger than its head! I had bettas and guppies missing...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...