Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: $#%# - Canister filter power down...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

$#%# - Canister filter power down....

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was supposed to post this thread here last night but was too P.O with myself to do so (If I could kick myself in the butt, I would). Anyways since I am feeling much better now I might as well as the question now.

I do my water change every Saturday and for last weeks' change, I forgotten to power up one of the 2028 filters and only found out yesterday, after 2 days! I guess (think its definite withtout a doubt) ALL of the BB must be dead.

Here's my question.

1. Since the BB is dead in that filter, should I just wash that filter now?

2. One thing I have noticed is for the past 2 days since only 1 canister as working, I noticed that the brown algae started coming out of no where and was evident on several leaves on the Echi. Osiris and the tank walls, could this be due to the lack of water flow since one of the filters was down or could it be due to the strong/high lighting that I have?
    Last edited by grey_fox; 23rd May 2006 at 09:34.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hey Grey_Fox. We seem to share some common issues haha. Too bad about your 'incident'. Would like to know if brown algae is on various spots in the tank or limited to where the water output flow is? I had problems with the algae where plants directly in the path of water flow is affected. My flow was moderate but could push flakes (fish food) quite briskly across the water surface.
    Psst...beware of the armless swordsman!
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Black17,

You're right, its evident where the water flow is. Likewise, the water surface flow is good enough to carry a flake from left-to-right.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For me I would just start the filter, don't wash it. You'll never know how what proportion are dead, there could still be some life in there. Unless it is time (more than 6-mths) to wash, then go ahead.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I have been made to understand that good flow is important to circulate nutrients. While with the filter output above my diffusor, i added a powerhead to make doubly sure. Noticed that brown algae and hair algae grew in the path of the water flow.

I have been given another explanation - plants grow better in slow flowing water. Therefore, if plants grow better, then algae would lose out - provided you do what is necessary to ensure good plant growth.

Am trying it out with my new setup.

*note that this is only my opinion and am not trying to impose methods on anyone.
    Steven

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The brown algae might have been triggered by the ammonia produced by the dying bacteria. No harm done actually imho, just wash that filter (hold your nose when you open it) and restart it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Squee, is it because of the higher ammonia in the filter that's spewing out from the output that causes the algae to grow on whatever's in the path?
    Steven

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    All that dead stuff in the filter should be an ammonia bomb, it's only slowly diffusing into the tank (filter isn't running) so some brown algae has started to grow.

Imho actually. No first hand experience of this.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ammonia bomb... I will be doing a WC tonight after work...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My advice is to wash out the filter. Don't take the risk to empty all that Nitrogen content into the tank. It's a definite disaster.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If your tank is already established, with well-growing plants, I won't worry too much. Just wash your filter meda and reconnect it. Bacteria from the tank and the other filter will quickly recolonise the media. Of course, doing a water change (30-40%) along with resetupping the filter might help prevent any ammonia buildup in the meantime.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Since we're on this topic, what do you suppose is happening if brown and hair algae appears in the path of filter output flow, even if there was no stopages to the filter in the first place?

Grey_Fox, although not directly answering your question, hope info gathered from this thread will come in handy, ya?
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    My advice is to wash out the filter. Don't take the risk to empty all that Nitrogen content into the tank. It's a definite disaster.

Cheers,
    Hey Benny.

Wash with tank water or tap water? Since the bb is already dead, I should go along with tap water yeah?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'd go for tap water.

Steven, I'd suppose something's going on in the filter (clogged/needs a wash?). Just making a wild guess I've never gotten algae on filter outputs though, only the organic mulm that grows on filter hoses and inner parts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should I just do a water change and then monitor or advisable to have the media from this filter rinsed through also, FYI, the filter was primed and started up yesterday and believe that whatever dead BB was in there probably got flushed out...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just do the waer change, since you already start the filter and flushed out eerything.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, I did not do a water change as I returned home from the office late. So far the water has cleared up and is crystal clear now, the fishes are not displaying any symptoms at all at the moment (most sensitive fish in my tank, that being the discus of course).