Images
    Country
    Japan

Reverse Macro

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm considering going reverse macro on the G6 as i want to get in closer on some of my insect specimens...well and also fish/shrimp la..

So anyone out there know what i need?? i mean everything.. from mounts to lenses.. help leh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can follow Choy's method of stacking a lot of close-up filters at the front of your lens adaptor?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    You mean reversing another lens onto the one that's already on the G6 correct (the G6 doesn't use interchangeable lens correct)? You'll need a ring which will fit on the front of the lens and then reverse another lens on that. Magnification rate is equal to the focal length of the lens on the camera divided by the reversed lens (e.g. if you have a 100mm lens and reverse a 50mm on it, you end up with a 2:1 ratio).
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you need a two-way ring, i.e. with threads on both sides, one to screw onto the g6 adator, the other to screw onto the 50mm front thread.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    the 50mm i reverse should be a wide lense ya? not a macro?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    the 50mm i reverse should be a wide lense ya? not a macro?
    just regular 50mm will do. but you need to get the widest aperture possible (ƒ/1.4-1. as light is severely limited and smaller aperture may present vignetting. you can put a lens against your g6 to check how it looks, without the mounting.

when using make sure the lens is set to its widest aperture (e.g. Nikon lens have an aperture ring but Canon lens do not).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Hmm.. okay will check it out.. think my grandfather has the old canon lense that can adjust aperture. FD lense i think.. i'll go see what kind it is b4 getting one. Obviously one that aloows me to set the aperature mechanically would be best.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just use that FD lens can liao.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    yup.. hope so.. his old fd 100mm have fungus inside leh.. think i better get this one serviced.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    FD lens not much use liao lah.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    no mah.. can manually set my Aperture.. anyway.. i wont service his 200mm. i'll proably just get a 52/49 macro coupler and fix on the old f1.8 cosina 49mm.

read good stuff from this guy today.. i really enjoyed his articles they definately helped a lot
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 5th Jun 2006 at 14:19.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i found 2 other lenses that he has.. both seem to be 50mm and both from canon.. but one is a 2.8 50mm macro (52mm ring size) the other is a 1.4 regular 50mm (55mm ring size). The 2.8 one sucks!! i need bigger aperture!! but i still tried them both on. However how come i cant see an increase in aperture size when i scroll it (unlike the old cosina lense, where i can literally see the aperture adjusting??)?? i dont understand.. spoilt ah? or is there some canon technology i dont understand? these lense used to be mounted on his old ftb camera.
    I know that if i use a 1.4 lense i should get a larger aperture so technically there should be less vignetting (compared to the cosina 1... however... is the vignetting even important?? i mean since those areas of the picture are more or less going to be out of focus anyway.. If i shoot with the vignetting then i will have to constantly crop my photos.
    Besides a larger aperture (say for example both lense have the same aperture of 1.4), would using a lense with say 58mm ring size be better than say a 49mm ring size one, in terms of cutting down vignetting?
    Anyone knows?? help??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the aperture alone decides the brightness and vignetting, for any given focal length.