Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Home-made food

Home-made food

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just thought I'd share this with all of you ...

Just made a paste of food for my corals and fish, and I used:

1 slice baracuda, deboned with skin left intact
    3 very large prawns
    5 cubes Hikari bloodworms
    5 cubes Hikari mysis shrimp

Blended at high speed until it became erm ... very mutilated. Then put 1 packet gelatin into 5ml of hot water and blended that in too.

I just put a chunk into my water, and my corals and fish went crazy over it!! The turbinaria coral snatched pieces of it, and so did my tube anemone and carpet anemone. Think it will even be better if I had put in un-seasoned nori, clam meat and frozen brine shrimp. Will be getting a sun coral next month, and with this food paste I'm pretty sure I'll be able to feed it without problems, hehe.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    very innovative.. but i dun think my mom will let me use the blender... coz after that.. i dun think anybody would dare to use it to blend fruit juices.. let alone drink it.. hahaha.. u must be very brave to try it..
    personally, the only 'blended' stuff i feed my marine corals and fishes are bloodworms, mysis shrimps and salmon roe or ebi roe.. but only problem is that the layer of oil on the surface after that.. i once tried with sturgeon roe..but it is very ex.. and my fiancee complain that the fishes are having better food then both of us.. hahaha[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Hey, my mom and girlfriend said the same thing too! [] Plus my friends' eyes almost popped out when I told them I use distilled water for my carnivorous plants. []

Man, don't we just LOVE to spoil our pets?

Actually wanted to mix in some cod-liver oil to it, but decided otherwise for the same reason you've stated. If can get brine shrimp enriching solution like they use in the US, then will be great - but sure damn ex one, haha.

----------------
    On 6/29/2002 11:02:50 AM

very innovative.. but i dun think my mom will let me use the blender... coz after that.. i dun think anybody would dare to use it to blend fruit juices.. let alone drink it.. hahaha.. u must be very brave to try it..
    personally, the only 'blended' stuff i feed my marine corals and fishes are bloodworms, mysis shrimps and salmon roe or ebi roe.. but only problem is that the layer of oil on the surface after that.. i once tried with sturgeon roe..but it is very ex.. and my fiancee complain that the fishes are having better food then both of us.. hahaha[]
    ----------------

wah use paste is very messy leh?can ur filter tahan?? i got no mechnical filter so bo pian.....
    goby no need to use those from Us can buy a bottle of vitachem from petmart for abt $15.
    http://www.boydenterprisesonline.com/vitachem.html
    hope this helps
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

That's what the gelatin's for - it binds all the particles together, so after you de-thaw the food and put in the tank you can use your fingers to tease the food into whatever size you want. They stay as a clump, but I also squeeze some until they are very fine so my filter feeders (got 2 fan worms and 4 mussels in there) and zoanthids can catch the food too. Aiyah, cheap version of Marine Snow mah, lol.

Regards,
    Hong Yee