Thread: Is there a need for a ph controller

Feedback Score

Is there a need for a ph controller

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

wondering if there is a real need for a ph controller. Wondering how many people are using this toy for their tank?

If necessary, what brand should I buy and what is the cost.

If you have this info appreciate your feedback.

Cheers
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
    Genesis 9:3

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/29/

Wondering how many people are using this toy for their tank?

----------------
    i think you just answered your own question

it's my opinion that the pH controller isn't absolutely necessary
    in nature there are quite big fluctuations in pH, but the fish take it as it
    if you're really worried about your fish, and want to maintain an absolutely micromanaged environment, by all means, try it

i don't have one, as seeing how i have no need for it

Feedback Score
    hope mine will benefit my discus and plants. A LFS offer me a set too hard for me to resist..selling me at old price.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no point having it unless you control all other aspects of your tank, fertilization, kh, gh etc.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can spend the money on other stuff. Definitely not neccessary.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, if u own a big tank like a 6 footer or more, then there is a need as the CO2 distribution may not even. Otherwise save the money and invest in something else.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/30/2002 10:33:01 PM

IMO, if u own a big tank like a 6 footer or more, then there is a need as the CO2 distribution may not even. Otherwise save the money and invest in something else.
    ----------------
    I think the pH controller does not improve the CO2 distribution. The pH probe only measure pH of 1 point in the tank. If CO2 distribution is bad, you will probably have different pH at different part of the tank.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

I think the pH controller does not improve the CO2 distribution. The pH probe only measure pH of 1 point in the tank. If CO2 distribution is bad, you will probably have different pH at different part of the tank.

BC
    ----------------
    The pH controller definitely does not improve the CO2 distribution. But it can cut off excess CO2 and allows the water current to reestablish the CO2 level gradually and evenly throughout the tank.
    Bad CO2 distribution is a possibility in bigger tanks because we tend to put big pieces of decorative items like driftwoods and this will reduce/disrupt the flow dissolved CO2 and eventually the distribution. U can notice that water above the big drftwood tends to be stagant. One good way to test is to use a match stick.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/1/2002 8:56:22 AM

----------------

BC
    ----------------
    The pH controller definitely does not improve the CO2 distribution. But it can cut off excess CO2 and allows the water current to reestablish the CO2 level gradually and evenly throughout the tank.
    Bad CO2 distribution is a possibility in bigger tanks because we tend to put big pieces of decorative items like driftwoods and this will reduce/disrupt the flow dissolved CO2 and eventually the distribution. U can notice that water above the big drftwood tends to be stagant. One good way to test is to use a match stick.
    ----------------
    Hmm.. ok.

But if the probe happened to be at a stagnant position. The controller will probably kick in too often before the pH of the stagnant position is lowered to the correct pH. That is the exact opposite effect. In this case, position of the probe is important.

Anyway, personally I find the CO2 indicator is more useful than a controller.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if it works the way you said, wks, the probe will have to be placed in a region of equilibrium, yes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    U are right bc, the positioning of prob is very important can only be determined by trial and error.

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

Have tried placing at different location there isn't much difference. Found difference is only +/-0.05 (ph).

I am using a dennerle controller, rather easy to setup and calibrate. Very user friendly. One thing I found out, is my Tetra ph tester isn't accurate, shows a higher value causing me my Yamato and SAE. Then try using the 5 in 1 tetra test, result is the same as my ph-meter.

Anyone know the optimal PH for yamato's and SAE? After setting up my PH meter,my tank has ph is 6.5, that maybe the reason Yamato and SAE to go?[]

My current PH is set at 6.8

Feedback Score
    Jason.cho PH alone is not the reason for your yamato/sae to go. More likely a NH3/N02/N03 or over C02 injection problem.My Yamato/SAE survives many PH crashes 7 to 5.5 overnight.Though not recommended as this will stress them to death.

Feedback Score
    All other parameters are OK, NO3,NO2 almost zero. Could be the CO2 I any dosing in my tank as I thought my ph is 7.2 while actual is 6.5.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tank temperature , get an ac fan, cool down to 28 and your yamato's should survive.

Feedback Score
    Jason.cho maybe just let the yamato adapt to the temp better that way. Just get more to replace them. Never had any cooling system for my tanks and my yamatoes survives the recently 30-32c heat wave here.Actually your yamatoes are a good Co2 indicators.They will crowd near surface or filter outlet if Co2 overdose and eventually die in your case.If u encounter such event, not only u cut back Co2 but insert a airstone/pump to aerate immediately.Got many emergency calls from frens whom I introduce to this hobby when they just started it.Always happy ending.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup. Shrimps are sensitive to CO2.

Jason, you did not mention anything about your KH. When you have a pH controller, you must know your KH to determine which pH level to set. This will determine how much CO2 concentration you have in the water.

I know that shrimps also do not respond well to chemicals. My shrimps have died due to medications and Flourish Excel.

BC

Feedback Score
    My KH is at 6deg. Mainly too suspect CO2 + Fertilizer . Now I am cutting back both.