Country
    Singapore

The Verdict is out

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,
    I was reading up alittle on BBA over at APC. Everyone was saying about how effective seachem flourish 'excel' was against BBA. So I put it to the test and the verdict is a resounding yes!! But at a great expense, 80% of my shrimps. What I have observe is if you want immediate results, you must overdose by at least 3 times the dosage, basing on 5 ml for 10 gallons. But first be forewarned if you overdose above 3 times, I don't think your shrimies will be able to take it. Results were observed within 24 hours, the BBA turn red and then white and died. So, for those of you who are afflicted with BBA fret no more! The cure has arrived...
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I only overdosed by twice... the water will always turn cloudy, and shrimps will definately be affected (not my Yamatos though).

I also seem to notice less bubbling from plants in Excel treatment.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Micheal Lai,

A great information's to read n learned.. thanks for sharing.. will it effect all the plants and destroy it??

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You mean all plants or all algae?

It doesn't hurt plants unless you drip the liquid directly on plant leaves exposed out of water. I burnt my moss leaves to white this way.

Only BBA is affected by it imho. I use it purely as a remover of BBA when I have outbreaks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    tried it on my 6ft but stopped. not because it doesn't work (it's rather exp to use on a 6ft tank) but rather to get to the root of the problem.

i manually removed as much BBA as possible, cranked up c02, improved circulation and..... sprayed hydrogen peroxide directly onto affected plants/equip and also poured about 100ml into the tank

did a waterchange after 30 mins... whatever BBA that was not manually removed died after a couple of days and so far no new growth
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    I only overdosed by twice... the water will always turn cloudy, and shrimps will definately be affected (not my Yamatos though).

I also seem to notice less bubbling from plants in Excel treatment.
    Thanks squee for bringing it up. A after effect is the water will turn cloudy but for 1 or 2 days only. Most of my yamatos, cherry and malayan shrimps died. Only about 10-20% made it, surprisingly enough the cherries with eggs 2 of them made it. This treatment does not affect plants under water and yes it will seek and destroy all BBA. Suffice to say, I dare assume do not over dose by 4 times the dosage. I check again this morning, all BBA has turned red colour and the remaining cleaning crew are tearing into them. I think I was too Kaisu and overdose by 5 times which bore catastrophic results! Even the fish was stressed.( Big eye breathing at the surface. )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mordrake
    tried it on my 6ft but stopped. not because it doesn't work (it's rather exp to use on a 6ft tank) but rather to get to the root of the problem.

i manually removed as much BBA as possible, cranked up c02, improved circulation and..... sprayed hydrogen peroxide directly onto affected plants/equip and also poured about 100ml into the tank

did a waterchange after 30 mins... whatever BBA that was not manually removed died after a couple of days and so far no new growth
    Thanks Mordrake for sharing this, my little experiment was done in a 3x1.5x2 tank. I agree with Mordrake this could be very expensive on a large tank but if you guys are like me, lazy and not very bio-chemically trained. This is a no fuss solution, just like adding ferts. and the results in 24 hours.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The treatment is fine if you don't overdo it but then if its on the plant leaves, you are better off trimming it off since they are pretty much useless. The other issue is attending to the root cause of the issue which is good use of the CO2. Unless you fix that, you are going to have BBA again.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was at Michael's place yesterday to collect some stuff and did see the the tank he dosed the excel on and It did work and the BBA seemed to be melting away. Anyways, there were survivors also from the holocaust (egg carrying cherries)!
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    And now I call forth my witness... thanks Grey_fox. Thanks Pete, gentlemen,the moral of the story, to fully cure you must find the root of the problem. I did cut some of the leaves but damn heart pain, it was bolbitis and pointed narrow leaves....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do be careful with smaller fish too. The last time I overdosed with Excel, all my Endler's died...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow... using this type must dose carefully...

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Do be careful with smaller fish too. The last time I overdosed with Excel, all my Endler's died...
    The active ingredient in Excel is glutaraldehyde.

Glutaraldehyde is used as disinfectants and also embalming fluid. Do a search on google or wikipedia.

So handle that stuff with care!
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami
    The active ingredient in Excel is glutaraldehyde.

Glutaraldehyde is used as disinfectants and also embalming fluid. Do a search on google or wikipedia.

So handle that stuff with care!
    i having be experimenting with Glutaraldehyde for the past few weeks to study its effects on BBA. so far its works on wonders on BBA and have little effects on my flora and fauna.

a word of caution : the label states that is hazardous to human and domestic animals.

Any one keen to try ? ! have about 2L left bring your own containers.

cheers
    xtrekker

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi xtrekker, could you share your dosage regime with us so that some of the members could benefit from this? Thanking in advance.

Attached some pictures of the 'burned' BBA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The plants sure don't look in good health and seems low on CO2.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You are correct, Pete. It was in a very bad shape when it was passed to me. But I felt it was a real pity to throw it away as the bunch was manificent some time ago. After much effort, I'm finally seeing some results and hopefully can get it back to it's former glory in 1 or 2 months.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Michael , here is my dosing regime .

when BBA is detected , I would load my 5ml syringe with 2.7% Activated Glutaraldehtde solution and spray directly onto the BBA. Managed to take a pic during half-time and below is the effects after 1 day.

somethings observed ,

1. On some occasions some malayan shrimps are feeding near BBA and i "accidentally" spray onto them. funny thing is no shrimps die during my 1 day treatment.

2. Leafs on the affect flora seem to take it well.

3. If spray directly onto moss with BBA , moss will die too.

4. The "burned" algae , appeareance range from pink to purple in some cases will "melt" ( reduction in overall size) in a couple of hours.

cheers
    xtrekker

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    H2O2 will kill fish and shrimp
    Excel will kill shrimp and fish
    Copper sulfate will kill shrimp and fish

All these things are biocides.

Too much kills the plants/fish etc
    Too little no effect.

My question, and it's the most valid type of question, why not add good CO2 that will prevent BBA from ever being an issue?

If you want to beat an alga, beat it right.
    The plants/tank looks better when you do this also.

That's the real secret.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Xtrekker, how did you achieved that? 2.7% and formula? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast