Images
    Country
    Singapore

which brand of budget ferts to recommend

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anyone can recommend me base ferts brands? there are too many which are out there and some of them cost alot. does expensive=good?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read that the latest top of the list is ADA soil which you don't need to add base fert. May be a little pricey but consider long term and the result may actualy save you in the long run.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya but i already have substrate...how to add ada soil??how about those pellets?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcc86
    ya but i already have substrate...how to add ada soil??how about those pellets?
    buy a pack n lay the ada soil on top of your present substrate, I have done that in my previous tank my tonina grows very well...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Expensive does not equate good. Try JBL, it has serve me well and good value for money.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's what i did for my cheapo pellet fertiziliers.

Bought Osmocote pellets from far east flora at $3.5 per pack. Use dextrin to glue the pellets to the required shape and wait for it to dry then insert it into the substrate.

or vacum the substrate around the plant you intend to fertisilise. collect the substrate in a sleeve. Add the required osmocote pellets to depression you just vacummed and then cover depression with you substrate you had remove.

cheers
    xtrekker

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heard alot of forum bros here uses JBL, quite alot of good comments for it. Personally haven't try it though

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you've got the money, why not yah

Since I never believed that expensive = good (in most instances) mid-ranged products would normally suffice .

I've opted for Sera Flowderpot as a base fert (mid-range) and just lapis (cheap). So far so good, coupled with E.I, whatever I try to grow (rooted) has flourished.
    Last edited by grey_fox; 12th Jun 2006 at 16:52.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question

Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox
    If you've got the money, why not yah

Since I never believed that expensive = good (in most instances) mid-ranged products would normally suffice .

I've opted for Sera Flowderpot as a base fert (mid-range) and just lapis (cheap). So far so good, coupled with E.I, whatever I try to grow (rooted) has flourished.

Newbie here.....Er....What is "lapis"?
    Btw how much the Sera Flowderpot cost per pack?
    I thinking of setting up 2ft and how many packets i need? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Sera Flowderpot comes in pot sizes, they have small medium & large, I bought (if I can recall) 6-7 large pots (content size is about 10KG) at $26 per pot. I bought in bulk, thus I received a slight discount. My tank is a five footer, so I guess you'll probably need 2 large pots?

Lapis gravel is the normal sort of gravel that has a mixture of white/brown/black/translucent small grained sand. This is easily purchased at most LFS and is pretty cheap.

Probably you'll need about 3 x 10 KG packs of lapis.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    xtrekker, can you elaborate on how you make the osmocote clumps and where to get the dextrin? I somehow recall it is some form of starch right? Would using tapoica flour, boiling it like making starch glue work? I've so far been rolling clayballs with osmocote in them, but I'm running out of laterite clay (they are really rare here), and my substrate in my nanos are overflowing.
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by primavera
    xtrekker, can you elaborate on how you make the osmocote clumps and where to get the dextrin? I somehow recall it is some form of starch right? Would using tapoica flour, boiling it like making starch glue work? I've so far been rolling clayballs with osmocote in them, but I'm running out of laterite clay (they are really rare here), and my substrate in my nanos are overflowing.
    I make my own dextrin. Just put corn flour intp the oven and bake them at 180C until the the turn brown. Usually about 30mins or so. shuffle the flour even now and then. Too bad you are in the land downunder if not i can pass some of my surplus to you.

when you got the dextrin , just mix minium amount of water to it to make the glue. use this glue to hold the osmocote pellets together.

cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try not to mix ada with other stuff.

Best I ever use was JBL base fert + Lapis. So my recommendation will be
    JBL + lapis + JBL 7 balls.

To me it does not matter if the fert come up etc. except for aesthetic reasons.

I do not like the sera fert. My friend tried. I don't see same results as the JBL. Again, bear in mind there are many other factors beside that.
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/