Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: after one year......

Feedback Score

after one year......

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys, one year down the line after I went marine, can say am very happy.

However, I still did not manage to bring my N03 levels down to the ideal zero, or came near it. This despite having a DSB, refugium with lights on 24/7, and all. Could it be because the DSB is not set up right? DSB advocates say to use sugar size grains but mine's all "No.1" sand. 3" in the front sloping up till 5" at the back. Looking at the sand bed, there doesn't seem to be much air bubbles in it. Would redo it if I could, but what do you guys reckon to be the best course of action now?

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what is your NO3 (nitrate) level?? what is the bio-load that u have??? the best i ever get was like 5-10ppm.. [:] as long as it is below 20ppm.. it should be fine..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    What's DSB?

Feedback Score
    Hi Kel,

I got the same problem too. Is there any method or fast way to lower the nitrate level? Will it help by using a much higher filter capacity? Please advise, thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ivan.. 5-10ppm is good already.. if fact.. quite good.. u can get zero nitrate level provided there is not fishes or live stock.. mind u.. even corals will produce wastes..

Cleanershrimps.. DSB is deep sand bed.. usually ard 3"?? []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Will such a thick sand bed cause any problems? Will debris get to the bottom and cause problems? Where can I get aragonitic sand which I read about and what's the cost?

Thanks!

cal dun worry some systems r like tt wan.....mine too! mine stuck at 1ppm n will not go down.i olso running dsb in main tank n a very big refugium...24/7 photoperiod too.

oh ya wat ever u do do not play wif ur dsb! dun touch it at all....most of the bubbles of hydrogen sulphate maybe under certain parts of the dsb.if i were u i will definately leave it alone.......if all the hydrogen sulphate escape at 1 go ur tank is going to crash.......n all ur anaerobic bacteria is going to die....
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

cleaner, argonite sand can get from sealife...super ex...i think its abt $130 for a 8 or 10kg bag i think

DA SPS GUY hehehe

ivan the quickest way to lower nitrates is wif dsb plus refugium!!!

DA SPS GUY hehehe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what i do with my DSB is that i sphion off and wash the gravel using the gravel washer.. that is the only way to wash the gravel if u want to clean them...[]

oi kel washing dsb is very bad u r killing all the anerobic bacteria n critters........u not suppose to touch it..

Feedback Score
    I need immediate help now. My nitrate level is more than 50 ppm. What is the fastest way now to cut down this level.
    []

Feedback Score
    dun worry lah, 50 ppm is not life and death. Mine has been consistently above 60 for a damn long time and I've suffered no major livestock losses.

Bio load wise, I've got the following fish-
    1 x flame angel
    1 x golden maroon clown
    1 x banggai cardinal
    1 x red filament wrasse
    2 x purple queen anthias

Corals:
    many assorted LPS corals. Mainly of Euphyllia species.

BTW, I'm thinking of redoing my sump. Anyone got any good lobang for this?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I need immediate help now. My nitrate level is more than 50 ppm. What is the fastest way now to cut down this level.
    []
    ----------------
    Ivan.. what is the bio-load??? change water.. and if possible.. increase your filter capacity.. 50ppm is very high.. too much fishes??

spiff.. i only disturb the surface.. coz no other organism to disturb it for me.. sigh.. gobies ate all the worms..

Feedback Score
    can i check with you what plants you've got in your refugium, and if you 'fertilise' them with iron? I've got the moss type calupera only. Tried the rest- feather, grape etc. Even with the miracle mud, they failed. When you say big, how big's your refugium?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    also.. need to know whether can the sump be able to support the bio-load...[:]

Feedback Score
    Hi Kel,

My bio load for 2ft tank:
    1 x flame angel
    1 x blue damsel
    4 x hermit crabs
    3 x cleaner shrimp
    1 x lobster
    1 x star fish
    at least 5 small crabs (from live rock)
    10 kg live rock
    1/2 inches sandbed
    5 different type of coral (mushroom, hammer, star polyps, sea fan...etc)

Is that too heavy for my Eheim 2227 (external canister filter)

As I'm not able to upgrade to a bigger tank (4 ft) for the next 2.5 years and only restricted to 2 ft tank at the moment. I'm thinking of DIY a 2 ft tank (with longer width) to accommodate a DIY internal sump so as to increase the filter capacity (in addition to my existing eheim 2227). Any comments whether this approach worth doing and is there a good lobang to DIY this 2ft tank with internal sump.

Please advise thanks
    []

Feedback Score
    Must DSB be built with sugar sized grains or just coral sand?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ivan,
    considering your 50ppm, u are still able to keep your cleaner shrimps alive.. i'm surprise by that.. hahaha.. anyway.. go for water changes.. when was the last time u did a water change?? your bio-load isn't alot provided i think the inhabitants are small.. for the 2ft tank... do remove the crabs.. those are not considered as freebies.. they can be quite a nuisance when they become big.. and u can't eat them anyway.. hahaha..

Ehiem 2227 is fine.. it is not alot.. it is enuff..
    i dun think an internal sump would be good.. coz it take up valuable space inside the tank.. furthermore.. it is only 2ft.. my 4ft does have a divider sump in the middle which allows the water to flow to the bottom sump.. and it takes up space.. sigh...

Cleanershrimp..
    the gravel dun have to coral chip size.. u can just ask for coral sand.. it is different from those sand/gravel used in FW.. []

Feedback Score
    Thanks Kel,

The last time I changed 20% of water was 2 wks ago. Just now in the afternoon, I made another changes of 20%. I'm thinking of changing 20% of water every 2 to 3 days till the nitrate level goes down to at least 20 ppm.

Kel, do you agree with my approach ?

By the way, the inhabitant in my tank are rather small. I'm thinking to increase the bio load by adding one golden maroon clown, one royal gamma and lastly one more blue tang.

This will make up my ideal 2 ft tank for the time being.

Do you think adding 3 more fishes will be alright ?

Please advise, as I'm very tempted to buy soon.[]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast