Images
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp Inbreeding

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Been wondering about this question for some time now. Is the quality of the cherry shrimps in Singapore suffering from inbreeding? I have gotten mine from a friend and I guess he might have gotten from someone as well instead of buying from the LFS. If assuming I keep my shrimps for a few generations, each of them will probably be related via uncles/aunties or worse, same parents. They of course have no issue with incest since it is only taboo amongst humans so I guess inbreeding is a definite.

If all us got our shrimps from home breeders, will our cherry shrimp quality be affected? Should we import some "foreign talents" to beef up genetic diversity?
    If I get 2 super red cherry shrimps and breed them for generations, will they weaken, lose their colouration and die off over time?

Any thoughts anyone? Anyone here is biologist?
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are some articles about cherry shrimps breeder, mentioned about adding in new batch of cherry shrimps over a period of time, to improve the quality.
    Somehow it indeed is true for my case, my recent generation of cherries seem to lose their colouration. But still quality and condition of your water plays a part.
    I will still encourage one to introduce new batches of shrimps .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks richietay. So it might be true inbreeding may cause problems then. I read quite a few articles about inbreeding and its kind of scary. The wild cheetahs have inbreed so much that fertility and health is becoming a serious problem and may result in their extinction in a few generations. Don't want this to happen to my shrimps.

Should we all cherry shrimp breeders trade batches with each other to maintain genetic diversity? Maybe once my shrimps double in quantity (currently 21), I might be looking for people to trade with me. Or I could scour the net to buy quality cherries from overseas to beef up the genes.
    I do see some damn pretty shrimps in the US. Wonder if its genes or environment.
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I think it is both. The old debate of "nature vs. nurture". Let us know how it turns out. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This is why zoos around the world have exchange programme so they can prevent inbreeding of animals especially those endangered ones.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zyblack
    If all us got our shrimps from home breeders, will our cherry shrimp quality be affected? Should we import some "foreign talents" to beef up genetic diversity?
    Inbreeding in vertebrate populations is to be generally avoided, causes genetic diversity problems and reproductive rates suffer, higher mortality rates etc. However can be done on purpose to concentrate genes that are desirable, eg line breeding of guppies does this if I am not mistaken.

Inbreeding of invertebrates is probably quite different, and I speculate that they have simpler DNA structures and possibly little genetic diversity in the first place, another way to think of shrimp as aquatic cockroaches… not a nice thought, but possibly 100’s or 1000’s of generations of inbreeding might not have any impact, although not good. Prawn farms purposely inbreed to find the traits that increase and it was probably a genetic oddity that was followed up by lots of inbreeding which resulted in the CRS. So I don’t think inbreeding is too much to worry about.

It would be good to breed a solid red cherry shrimp... if I had the time I would try.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    \another way to think of shrimp as aquatic cockroaches… not a nice thought,
    Haha..I do have this feeling occasionally when I sit down and look at them. The way they scurry around the tank scavenging food resembles cockroaches. I hate the thought that I am rearing colourful cockroaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    \It would be good to breed a solid red cherry shrimp... if I had the time I would try.
    Of the 20 shrimps that I have now, only 2 come close to solid red and they are females. Will try breeding them soon.
    Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sounds logical too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher
    This is why zoos around the world have exchange programme so they can prevent inbreeding of animals especially those endangered ones.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are afraid of inbreeding(i personally think its bad), why don't you exchange a few piece(let say 10piece) with other member, this way it prevent inbreeding.

In my opinion(eg,cat) inbreeding may cause disformities, eg, shorter tail/bend tail.

New shrimp meaning better genes and immunity.

In a way it improve the so called tolerance and could improve the mortality and coloration too.

Just my opinion
    Last edited by Justikanz; 28th Jun 2006 at 13:57.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if the shrimp breeders in this forum are interested, why don't we set up a thread specially for the trading of shrimps? I've also thought about it too, although my shrimps have only gave birth once. it would be great if trading shrimps improve colouration and prevent diseases.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by taikiat View Post
    if the shrimp breeders in this forum are interested, why don't we set up a thread specially for the trading of shrimps? I've also thought about it too, although my shrimps have only gave birth once. it would be great if trading shrimps improve colouration and prevent diseases.
    sounds like a good idea!

as for the argument on genetic diversity, inverts also suffer when they are inbred. captive bred populations of pet insects eg. phasmids diminish in size, hardiness and survival rate after a few generations of inbreeding. so it would probably be a good idea to introduce a fresh batch into a shrimp breeding tank once in a while.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp Inbreeding

My current batch of fire reds are suffering from inbreeding.
    Any one to exchange partners with?
    Give Man A Fish , U Feed Him A Day
    Teach Him How To Fish & U'll Feed Him A Lifetime
    ~ www.TropicalFisherMan.blogspot.com ~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Shrimp Inbreeding

Hello! I only have 7 RCS currently, will be bringing them back home from my workplace soon as I will be switching jobs. Hopefully the room temperature at home will encourage breeding. I am definitely interested in trading if my shrimps start to breed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk