Images
    Country
    Singapore

Disinfecting common nets and tools

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How do you disinfection common nets, tools like scissors and tweezers?
    Putting the nets under the sun? Effective?

I read from a site about using Waterlife Myxazin to sterilize nets to kill off bacteria.. But what about possible parasites like Ich which could still be around?

Or even simpler, having different nets and tools for different tanks?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Boiling them does the trick.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wonder if using hydrogen peroxide 3% to sterilise equipments will bring any harm to plants and fishes. I heard they dissolve into H2 and 2xO2 molecules when dropped into water. Hospitals in the past have used it disinfect everything from floors to surgical knives though it has been replaced by better smelling disinfectants.

Any thoughts?
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What about soaking them in brine if the boiling option is out of the question?

Or, if you dare... Dettol? But make sure you soak the stuff overnight in water with activated carbon after that before use!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Valice,
    You can try potassium permanganate( by far the 2nd cheapest ) but I seriously doubt if we need to go that extend. Most of the bacterial will be wipe out as long as the items are sun dried( the cheapest and it's free ). Don't be paranoid lah...
    You can buy at least 3-4 nets for a bottle of Myxazin...
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ya... Being paranoid is my 'copyright' ah... Haha...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dettol with activated carbon, I would say that is obsessive compulsive behavior..hahaha
    Last edited by michael lai; 15th Jun 2006 at 14:57.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone tried using a steam sterilizer (the type used to sterilize milk bottles) before?
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I not paranoid lar... If paranoid, I wouldn't be using the same pair of tweezer for all my tanks when I had a ich-infected tank, a healthy tank, a q-tank and a hospital tank... Hahahaha...

Just thinking about what I should really be doing to prevent cross-contamination...

Steam sterilizer is abit over... hahah... Maybe can get those UV ovens which the dentists or beauticians use to sterilise their tools...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just boil them or run them under boiling water.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can someone tell me where i can get potassium permanganate?
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Valice,
    You can try potassium permanganate( by far the 2nd cheapest ) but I seriously doubt if we need to go that extend. Most of the bacterial will be wipe out as long as the items are sun dried( the cheapest and it's free ). Don't be paranoid lah...
    You can buy at least 3-4 nets for a bottle of Myxazin...
    I bought a 500ml bottle of 3% grade Hydrogen Peroxide the other day and it cost me $3.50. Colourless, though with a little odour but easily bearable. I poured 5 ml and 10 ml into my 1 feet shrimp tank and 2 feet turtle tank respectively. So far no its been 6 days and no change in behaviour. Guess its safe and cheaper then Dettol

There are numerous articles about the amazing potential of this chemical solution and it appears some MLM companies are jumping on the bandwagon to offer it as a "miracle water" and selling it a $88 a bottle the size of eye drop bottles. I know cause my client tried to sell this to me on the very day I got my friend to get me the Hydrogen Peroxide. Coincidence?

Do note for human consumption, only 35% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide are safe and have been used by food manufacturers worldwide.
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I never know that H2O2 is edible!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    H2O2 is a strong oxidising agent! Be careful when handling and avoid contact, especially with your sensitive skin area (eyes etc) and your plants... Not sure if excessive contact by animals and your hands is good also...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by celticfish
    can someone tell me where i can get potassium permanganate?
    Guardian will have.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I read about H2O2 in an aquarium book published in 2002. Forgot the title though but it is one of the more complete book on aquarium fishes I read. It did list lots of cures for algae and fish diseases. Potassium Permanganate and Hydrogen Peroxide are both listed in the book as old time cures for ICH and other fish diseases. I think H2O2 might be a better choice for use in disinfection for aquariums with it's colourless solution. The percent grading is the concentration value with 3% being the lightest. 3% has been considered safe for aquarium use though of course overdosing anything is harmful.

H2O2 was primarily used to provide oxygen for fishes developing Hypoxia (lack of oxygen in bloodstream) as it disolves rapidly into H2 and O2 molecules once in contact with water. I did check out websites regarding the use of H2O2 before trying it as I didn't want to murder my fishes just yet.
    Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Avan, I worry more for you than the critters... Anyway, just take the precautions, when necessary... But it is good you check before add anything foreign and chemical to your tanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just won some money on the Paraguay and Sweden match. And then I saw Justikanz's post...I can feel tears welling....there is a compassionate God!!!
    Hehe...Thanks for your loving care Come let me give you a fishy kiss!

What would make my day better would be shrimps giving birth soon. Hope I didn't "sterilise" them when I added the H2O2.
    Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err... Thanks?...

Anyway, potassium permanganate, is not the purple one, is it? If so and you use that, your nets will be bluish/purplish... Cool...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    terence,
    complete with picture too!
    thanks a bunch!
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast