Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saturday field trip report @ Samarahan:

http://www.ibanorum.netfirms.com/samarahanbasin.htm

Sunday field trip report @ Biawak :

http://www.ibanorum.netfirms.com/biawakback.htm

The water of this river is turbid, most probably caused by logging activity on the up river:

Last Sunday, my friend is showing me a secret spot where so many wild orchids growing almost anywhere (on the trees, rocks & ground) in this jungle!!!! Amazing place!!! I almost got the "heart attack" for seeing so many wild orchids for the VERY FIRST TIME in my life!

One of the many species of wild orchids from that secret garden.

Wild orchids.

Orchids on the rock. I'll be back there again during flowering season.....any idea when is the flowering season of wild orchids? Raining season??

Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    on the tree....

A species of big ant.

Cup fungus. (Cookeiana sp.)

Clown barb (Puntius everetti) found abundantly here.

On the late afternoon, my exploration team was heading south-west to the most remote area of western Batang Kayan basin. At the last spot, we found something which is out of my expectation - a very rare species of licorice gourami!!! (Parosphromenus sp.) This species could be the same species found at lower Batang Kayan basin, which is probably new to science.(?)

Parosphromenus sp. "Biawak"

Parosphromenus sp. "Biawak"

A small stream where licorice gourami was discovered for the first time in western Batang Kayan basin!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Without 4 wheels drive vehicle, it is IMPOSSIBLE to explore the interior of western Batang Kayan basin....where the road is very bad for normal type of car & the place is very remote & near to the border.

Channa striata stuck in the shallow part of the canal at an oil palm plantation.

Some photos taken on Saturday at Batang Samarahan basin....

Below: A blackwater canal of Batang Samarahan basin.

Catching fish at the canal.

The trail built by illegal logger.

The remaining peat swamp forest of Batang Samarahan basin. Due to the land use for agriculture purpose & illegal logging, peat swamp forest in this area is almost gone.

Found a few blackwater streams in the peat swamp forest.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Inflorescence of Cyrtosperma sp.???

This is my very first time found Barclaya motleyi in this area!!!

Channa lucius found in blackwater stream.

Storm is approaching. It rains almost every afternoon in southern Sarawak since March until now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    excellant pictures! Lucky the orchids are not vastly harvast for sale. very good colourations on the pictures. Wish i was there too!
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    They should start the flower as the rain begins to fall.

Now you got to keep the paro till color up and take a clear pic!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Thanks for the pics mike..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTree
    They should start the flower as the rain begins to fall.

Now you got to keep the paro till color up and take a clear pic!
    How to make the colour up? During courting time?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Yes, another situation is when males flare to each other. provide them hidding place, so when one male approach to another's, then the owner will flare. And another trick is use food as bait, create chance for the males to meet up. You need lots of paitience to do these...have fun

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    One of the many species of wild orchids from that secret garden.

Wild orchids.

Orchids on the rock. I'll be back there again during flowering season.....any idea when is the flowering season of wild orchids? Raining season??

The first orchid pic looks like a Bulbophyllum sp. (or is it Cirrhopetalum now?). They have wide 'internode' spacing between the pseudobulbs, as can be seen in the following post. I have no idea what the species name is, as it is the biggest genera in the orchid family, but they are very interesting: foul smelling flowers rather like rotten meat which attracts flies to pollinate it.

The third picture looks like a Coelogyne sp. Looks very similar to my C. dayanum (do hope it is C. pandurata though, have green and black flowers! scented too). It came as a surprise as it is the first time I've seen this orchid growing as a lithophyte (on rock). But then there's moss, and they always seem to grow with moss, possibly in association with mychorrhizal fungi present that help the seeds germinate. (You can see small plants on the edges of the moss, but not directly on rock.)

Orchids flower when there is an environmental trigger, ie change of seasons. I find they respond most to a drop in temperature for blooming initiation (diurnal change). I flower my moth orchids that way. Also bloom after dry season, more intense sun to harden pseudobulbs etc, but since this is in equatorial Borneo, probably unlikely (it is lowland also right?). Mr Tree is probably right too as raining season means lower temperature. One thing, the flowers of wild orchids don't last long though, have to be there at the oppurtune time. Good luck and hope it is pandurata, kekeke.
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTree
    Yes, another situation is when males flare to each other. provide them hidding place, so when one male approach to another's, then the owner will flare. And another trick is use food as bait, create chance for the males to meet up. You need lots of paitience to do these...have fun
    Oh no....I only caught 1 male & 1 female.....then i have to wait the male chasing the female......then the colour will come out. Oh no.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by primavera
    The first orchid pic looks like a Bulbophyllum sp. (or is it Cirrhopetalum now?). They have wide 'internode' spacing between the pseudobulbs, as can be seen in the following post. I have no idea what the species name is, as it is the biggest genera in the orchid family, but they are very interesting: foul smelling flowers rather like rotten meat which attracts flies to pollinate it.

The third picture looks like a Coelogyne sp. Looks very similar to my C. dayanum (do hope it is C. pandurata though, have green and black flowers! scented too). It came as a surprise as it is the first time I've seen this orchid growing as a lithophyte (on rock). But then there's moss, and they always seem to grow with moss, possibly in association with mychorrhizal fungi present that help the seeds germinate. (You can see small plants on the edges of the moss, but not directly on rock.)

Orchids flower when there is an environmental trigger, ie change of seasons. I find they respond most to a drop in temperature for blooming initiation (diurnal change). I flower my moth orchids that way. Also bloom after dry season, more intense sun to harden pseudobulbs etc, but since this is in equatorial Borneo, probably unlikely (it is lowland also right?). Mr Tree is probably right too as raining season means lower temperature. One thing, the flowers of wild orchids don't last long though, have to be there at the oppurtune time. Good luck and hope it is pandurata, kekeke.

That's depend on my luck to see them flowering......Thanks for telling me.