Country
    Singapore

"Lice"/"Bugs" in tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I am posting on behalf of AquaObsession. I am taking care of his tanks while he is away from Singapore.

These past few days, while observing the 3 ft planted tank, I have noticed some strange-looking "bugs", which I have never seen before. Yesterday, I removed even more of these (around 20+ ). And today, I saw one really HUGE one , removed it from tank (using plastic fork - I don't dare to touch with my hand) and took some pictures too.

The "lice"/"bugs" stick to the glass using their mouth (found this because I had to apply pressure to remove the particularly huge "bug" this morning).

These things also stick to shrimps. I have seen 2 yamato shrimps with 1 "bug" on each side! Unfortunately, I could not remove them from the shrimps .

Below are pictures of the "bugs". In water, they will be stretched, instead of curled up like in the pictures.

Anyone experienced this before or have any idea what these are??? Are they dangerous? Any way to get rid of them? Any comments .....

Thanks

~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I hope I am wrong and not seeing things but they look like leeches to me!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Hey cool... those are leeches.. ... so cute..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I suppose aquaObsession learnt about it, meanwhile maybe can try minimise the amount for him. Is it alot?!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I informed Christophe about it, and he asked me to ask in the forum on his behalf... almost every time I look at the tank, there seems to be some here and there, now and then .. every one I spot, I remove using the plastic fork..

I just hope it does not lay eggs that can penetrate the human skin or anything like that ..

How to remove, apart from manual removal? I made a google on leeches, sources say that plants have to be soaked in salted water to kill the leech, before the plants are replanted ...

don't know what this pest is.. only that it looks disgusting

Last edited by AquaObsession; 20th Jun 2006 at 21:47.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yah, they are very sensitive to salted water. like panaria, they will die when treated with salt. but looking at his 3ft planted, it's kind of hard to rid them off completely. Or perhaps when Christophe planning to revamp his tank in future.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh... I think someone should go down and help her... How in the world did those leeches got into the tank??

Physically remove as many as you can. Make sure you don't touch them with your fingers... About salt treatment... Be careful with the amount you dose as too much and you will have seaweed and shrimp soup!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    many leeches are species specific... they would very much prefer their target host than you.. but that doesn't mean it wont take a go at your finger.. still its painless and quite fun experience....if you dont panic..lol.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it's my first time coming across this. what consitute them to breed inside the tank? Excess food from feeding?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If I'm not wrong, I have found 3 in my shallow tank before (did a clean up and found them). One of them is very fat (must be there for a while). Well, since I do not have much, so I just threw them away. Can see them in my blog. Usually don't see them though. You must have quite a lot to see them. Anyone can suggest a bait to lure them out and remove them away?
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The fat one on your blog photo is one of those creatures ..

The first time I spotted one is when I did the water change on Saturday; it went crawling up the glass.

They seem to like to stay stuck against the glass, within 1 cm in/outside the substrate... that's where I look out for them. Or anywhere against the glass. Or shrimps

Probably they lay eggs to reproduce.. where did they come from???

Not sure what they feed on? Blood? Algae??

Until the next rescaping in 1.5-2 (When Chris is back) months' time, I will have to remove them manually whenever I see .... keep my plastic fork ready ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They feed on blood...better don't put your hand into the aquarium...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How not to put hand into aquarium?? have to do trimming and maintenance

Can a human be infected with their eggs or any disease related to them just by putting the hand in the water?? I hope not

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just wondering... Since puffers eat snails do you think they will eat these slugs although I'm pretty sure they'll eat shrimps
    Best Regards
    YongHua

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When I bought bloodworms from the LFS, the fresh bloodworms were apparently mixed with these leeches.

I did take out some of them to examine what they were and most died by the heat from my cigarette Anyways, ended up throwing the whole packet away.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Really got me wondering, would there be quite a numer inside the tank?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Please dont freak out at the leeches... they are nice creatures..
    They wont lay eggs uder your skin or whatever.. its too much sci-fi movie effect. Dont worry about them.. just keep vigilant and keep removing them with your plastic fork.. you can put your hand into the water... no worries. Like i said they are more likely to be species specific.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is christophe from mauritius...haha... I am enjoying myself while leeches are feeding on my gf blood..hehhe.just kidding..

Yeps, i told her to let go...if cannot keep them under control, does not matter..I will have to de-commission the tank anyway in a month time when i am back...

what a fun experience i missed out..

thanks for your comments..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha... I wonder if your girlfriend really thinks its fun... Haha... But this is really Murphy's Law in action...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...