Country
    Singapore

Otos Died "one after another"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Everyone,
    Once in a while, one of my otos will die. Don know leh? Someone advise my that they eat poison algae. Don know what algae cause it. Does anyone have a picture of the poison algaes?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jason.....this could be highly unlikely the case.....ottos usually die either from starvation due to lack of brown or smear algae, or at the slightest hint of NO2. I would suggest that you test your water quality and parameter.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    I've similar problem like you last time.
    Everytime I scraped my glass until sparkling clean, both sides, front and back.
    And I realize that my otos don't eat normal fish food as compared to other algae eater.
    So nowadays, I only clean the glass surface on the viewing side and front only. I leave the back glass with a bit of algae for the otos.
    Actually otos are quite robust fish. My tank has suffered from nitrite / ammonia explosion before, normally is the yamatoes which is dying.
    But one thing is my otos is very thin, not much changes as compared to when I bought them 1 year ago. They are really on very strict diet...maybe I think !

rgds

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think some ppl put algae wafers into the tanks to feed them.
    No Miss Oto Universe contest, lah.[]
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    your once in a while is how often?
    how long have the otos been in your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Alls,
    Many thanks for your advise. 3ft tank, brought 16 otos(about 2-3mth ago) now I think only 14 left or lesser.

Yesterday one die follow one more on today. It could be due to no algae for them. Becuase I brought a scraper to scrape all the wall algae which result no food for them.

Will try to scrape only on the front glass wall view & leave the rest of the wall to Otos.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If your otos are not dropping like flies then you should count yurself lucky. Few batches of otos that I bought died after I intro them into my tank. Did acclamatized but still they mati. I also noticed that they are sensitive to CO2. I had a few casulaties when I accidentally inject too much co2.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]