Country
    Singapore

Beginner need help with fishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all,

I am new here and need some help on the following questions.

I am a beginner, and would like to start keeping fish...

My fish tank is those on the floor, not glass....mini pond i guess.

1) what fish is easy to keep , not so easy die? but not fighting fish please.

2) what best filter is there in the market for my type of tank?how much? which shop lowest?

3) is guppies easy to keep? easy to breed babies also? for beginner like me? or cardinal tetra?

Thank you
    Last edited by Justikanz; 24th Jun 2006 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can provide more information about your tank before other can start suggesting.

Are you referring to fibre glass tank?
    Water feature?

How big is the tank?

If its not a glass tank, am I right to say you are going to appreciate the fishes from the top?

Most tetras are best viewd from side, so it probably does not suit your tank!
    Ranchus would be a good choice.

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, Welcome to AQ.

Firstly, decide yourself what kind of a water feature are you looking at.

Are you going to plant? Would you like something big? How big is your 'pond'?

With a pond, it might be better to go for fish that you can appreciate from the top... As such, gold fish would be good. Else, some fish with a broad 'shoulder' or back would be good.

Sadly, though, there are few tropical fish that would fit this criteria... You can try guppies or platies for their colours or female fighting fish (yes, no choice) as they are broader and colourful...

Oh, please do not use sms language to post. Thanks.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Different coloured platies will look nice in your pond. Cardinal Tetras I doubt you can see them from the top view position.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Long bodied goldfish(Not Koi). They are very hardy and especially good for beginners. What about your pond size? Becareful not to overcrowd, they jump!Otherwise guppies,mollys or platys are fun, especially when the babys come!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    buy those $2/packet fishes and play 1st ....let them test the water 1st before you buy other nice expensive fishes