Country
    Singapore

White Spot - The Ever Popular Topic

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Firstly, let me say that this is a great site. Loads of useful info.

Secondly - HELP!!!

I had a very bad breakout of white spot in my 4 ft about 2 weeks back. Had used rather ineffective treatments (including small dosage of salt) for about 1 week before discovering this website through a good friend. Having read the threads, I decided to embark on the salt bath treatment. I believe that DEA's proposed dosage is 1 tbsp for about 20 l of water.

Well, blur me kind of misread the label on my spoon and added 8 tsp of salt (for about 160 l of water) instead of 8 tbsp. Even with such a dosage, the white spot problem was greatly reduced. I did not find out about my mistake until about 1 week later. Added in the proper dosage on Sunday morning (30 June).

It has been about 3 days and I still get a few persistent white spots that refuse to go away (mainly on my threadfin rainbows). My questions are:

1. Should I increase dosage of salt (and if so how much more) or should I wait longer (and how much longer)?
    2. Any harmful side effects to my fishes and plants if I maintain the salt bath for longer? Is there a time period before I should reduce the salt content in my tank?

Would be grateful for any advise that you can give.

Thanks a million!!

[] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    try increasing the temp at the same time, high temp with salt treatment is usually effective against white spots.
    if i'm not wrong the salt can only work against the parasite when its in free swimming stage which can be promoted by high temp; at lest 30 c

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thx. My tank temperature is about 30 to 31 degrees. Is that high enough?

Actually, I am particularly concerned about keeping my fishes and plants in the salt bath for an extended period of time, and wonder whether there will be any harmful side effect.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no need to increase the dosage
    one of the reasons why fish die from ich is the owner, on seeing lingering white spots, decides to up the ante, and the fish might not be able to take it

just maintain the dosage of salt
    when all the spots disappear, keep the salt level there for another 3 more days to make sure all the tomites have left their bodies and are being 'shrivelled' by the salt solution

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thx, DEA. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, two of my new loaches already died from white spot, some of the other fishes in the tank are infected too. Strangely, each time the white spot seems to come back periodically.
    Work Whenever, Fish Forever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I maintain the salt treatment for as long as 2 weeks after the spots dissappear. No recurrence so far.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The last time i checked, the white spots appear to have disappeared from my tank. I am planning to maintain the salt bath for another week. Some plants affected by the salt bath. One or two unexplained fish death (e.g. one of my platy - which is supposed to be hardy, tolerant to salt water and which appears unaffected by the white spot). Otherwise, most fishes seem to take the salt bath ok. [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Treating my tank with lots of salt already but the white spot still very rampant. Some of my fishes are infected all over while most of them are ok, a few died already. Should I take them all out, clean and re-cycle the tank or should I just keep treating the whole tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How long have you been treating the tank and how much is your salt dosage?

Keep treating the tank, the idea of salt treatment is to kill the whitespots when they are in the free-floating stage of its lifecycle.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Just to check how about using uv light?
    Will this work?
    Does this do any harm to the plant and fish?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi eZion. You have to use the recommended dosage of salt i.e. 1 table spoon for about 20 l of water. My experience is that it takes about 1 week before you see the result.

Good luck.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what will the difference be when u use tbsp (table spoon) instead of tsp (teaspoon) or vice versa?? how has the effect has on the white spots???[]

another method used by me to cure white spots.. garlic juice mixed with the food to be fed.. 3 days is all it takes for my marine fishes to be rid of the parasites.[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kelstorm,

1 table spoon = 3 tea spoons.

I used the wrong dosage the fisrt time round for about 1 week (8 tsp instead of 8 tbsp). It still helped but not quite good enough.

I was planning on the garlic treatment if the salt bath had failed.....my fishes would have been quite well seasoned.....[]

May still have to resort to garlic...keeping my fingers crossed [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, I used to put 1tsp for every 20L for a week or more but doesn't help so I increased the dosage by adding another tbsp.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1 table spoon = 3 tea spoons.

I used the wrong dosage the fisrt time round for about 1 week (8 tsp instead of 8 tbsp). It still helped but not quite good enough.

I was planning on the garlic treatment if the salt bath had failed.....my fishes would have been quite well seasoned.....[]

May still have to resort to garlic...keeping my fingers crossed [:]
    ----------------
    ok thanks.. btw, does salt help to cure fin rot??
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How do you administrate garlic treatment?