Images
    Country
    United_States
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by primavera
    Hmm, could it be that there are just different strains of BGA out there, and this could be a more resistant strain? I mean, they are all bacteria right, and its a well known fact that they evolve/develop resistance pretty well. Just look at antibiotic resistance from common pathogens.

The 'lack of fast growers' track seems to be a plausible problem/solution too, as my tank which has a chronic infestation is a very slow growing tank too.
    While remotely, very remotely possible,............highly unlikely.........

They are quite unlike any bacteria known..........
    Weeds, insects, fungi, rodents.......every major biological group develops resistence to pesticides...........it's not just bacteria.........

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is ready to strike Need to be careful too...

Quote Originally Posted by Plantbrain
    Don't worry, BGA is always in your tank waiting, you just cannot see it with a microscope. I've never seen a sample from a planted tank's gravel that did not have BGA filaments growing on it.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, so I siphoned up the gravel at the affected area, cleaned it real good, did my 50-60% water change and then re-dosed KNO3, 2 days later and still good, looks like I will monitor further before I can confirm anything else.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox
    OK, so I siphoned up the gravel at the affected area, cleaned it real good, did my 50-60% water change and then re-dosed KNO3, 2 days later and still good, looks like I will monitor further before I can confirm anything else.
    Normally I use Hydrogen Peroxide with needle and injecting into the front glass gravel. Do about 6" per day. It will kill the BGA immediately into RED and clear pretty fast.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok day 5 is today, so far so good. BGA kept at bay... Looks like I'll wait till a while longer before giving a thumbs up.

Btw, wouldn't injecting the affected area with Hydrogen Peroxide cause the BGA to be resistant to it in future, since its gonna be in your tank, won't that cause you to have Hydrogen Peroxide resistant BGA?

On another note, won't it harm your fishes, the Hydrogen Peroxide?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    H2O2, Blackouts, Antibiotics etc are not needed except for strong cases of BGA, often you can kill it off with good cleaning, water changes and dosing KNO3.

If not, try the blackout, it takes the same time as the pills, H2O2 is only effective for spot cleaning.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of my tanks was with BGA. The BGA on the tank wall was around 15cm diameter and some plants were affected. I had 100% water change last Sunday and yesterday, all BGA were totally gone. Besides water change, the only thing I did to the water was I added some TMG. That's all. Hope it works for those with this problem too. Faunas inside the tank are 2 x SAE, 2 x oto, 5 x yamato shrimps and 3 x ramhorn snails and a pair of ever hungry betta ocelatta. I dont think any of the faunas did anything to clear the algae. So it might be the water change and TMG

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's interesting. Heh, if there's any fish that has BGA for lunch, I'm sure it'll be a hit in anyone's tank(s).

Tom, any comments on the 100% WC + TMG here?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12