Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What brand/model of external filter is suitable for a 2-ft

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I had thought of saving up for an external filter for my planted tank cos it is too much of a hassle to wash the small internal filter every week.
    What i hope to get is a Ehiem filter. What model is suitable and what's the price range?
    Are there other models which are cheaper and/or more efficient?
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Eheim models are pretty expensive. Personally I use the Atman filters which looks somewhat like the Eheim models and shares many common spare parts. Pretty good filters in my opinion except that they don't have autoprime. But most important they are much much cheaper than the Eheims.

I am using the 2231 for my 2 ft. Cost $150. This filter can also be used for a 3-4 ft planted tank setup.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi chris, i agree with Jason that the price of Ehiem is very expensive but come again, to me(me not loaded!!me a student), it is the heart of the system and what makes the aquarium ticks.To me, u can never overfilter a system (others might beg to differ with that statement).. hehehe [] While some of us may have experienced with other brands and had success with it, no harm heeding their advice. There is this brand called Fluval.. i tried it too.. not too bad.. slighty cheaper than Ehiem. Nevertheless, below are the info on ehiem models that i think might be suitable for u.. Sorry, but i do not know the price for them. (the figures are from the catalog)
    U know lah, promotional gimick, but u never know..hahaha
    Liberty models are those u can hang on the side, the rest are canister types

1)Liberty 150: For 130L/35G, Filtration Rate/Hr: 570L/150G
    2)Liberty 200: For 190L/50G, Filtration Rate/Hr: 760L/200G
    3)Ehiem 2213: For 250L/65G, Filtration Rate/HR: 440L/116G
    4)Ehiem 2215: For 350L/95G, Filtration Rate/HR: 620L/164G
    5)Ehiem 2231: For 100L/35G, Filtration Rate/HR: 370L/127G
    6)Ehiem 2233: For 200L/60G, Filtration Rate/HR: 550L/145G
    7)Ehiem 2235: For 300L/80G, Filtration Rate/HR: 700L/185G.

Hope this info have been of help.
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you may consider the ehiem pro series model 2222 or the 2224
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Doesnt matter if you overfilter. In fact getting a bigger filter now would be good considering should you want to upgrade to a bigger tank in the future , it would still be usable.

For a 2ft , try to get at least a 2215 Eheim Classic ( i only recommend Eheims , but you might want to try other cheaper alternatives like Atman etc ).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all your help u all had given me...

I would prefer a greater filtering capacity but I'm afraid the output current will uproot my plants. Is there a way to go round this problem?

One more question.
    Is there an existence of an external reactor in S'pore? Cos i thinking of getting one along with a CO2 set.

Looks like i gotta save for a long time... A cool $300...Nearly one month's pay
    [:0] [:0] [:0] []
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi chris

C328 aunty has got the Adec external CO2 reactor......looks really cool and everytime Simon and myself look at the reactor, we go
    [email protected]

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To go ard the problem of output current, u can try to redirect the current output or have a piece of drift wood place in front of the output to disperse and 'break' the flow.[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Get Eheim

Initial cost will be higher.

But it will last you for life.
    Flow is consistent and you can be assured of minimum bypass.

Why look at short term savings? You will not save a great deal more. You may feel the pinch at first, but you will be Really glad you have an Eheim.

Many other imitations work the same, look almost the same, but the quality of filtration may not be. Having owned many different types and brands and make of filters and pump, i know that 2 products rated with the same performance will actually vary a great deal in real situtaion. Esp "Cheong" brands.

Quality comes at a cost, and in this case, that 50 dollar you save one shot more than evens out over the many years you will have it running.

we squander money elsewhere without ourselves knowing []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eheim would be a better options as spare parts are easily available as compared to the rest. I'm using the Fluval 303. Bought it 2nd and it had some problems. Looked for spare but not available. Finally asked Rainbow, the guy took the spare from one of the set on display and sold it to me. No choice...... so please consider.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think you're confused about filter capacity and flowrate, which are two different things
    a powerhead gives good flowrate and negligible filter capacity
    while a canister could give average flowrate and good filter capacity
    get what i mean?

if you're worried, get the eheim pro or pro II series
    they allow you to adjust the intake valve to slow down the flow
    coupled with rainbars the output is not a problem
    and they have plenty of space for filter media

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I really didn't thought of that... thanks DEA.
    I will definitely be getting an Ehiem filter but now considering whether to buy 2213,2222 or 2224.
    What's the price of the external reactor?
    i think all in all, i need to save at least $400 now...[] [] []
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi chris

the external reactor from Adec is about 150...
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how much is a 2213?
    i know 2215 can be bought at ard 140$ now.

if 2213 is not a lot cheaper, you might as well get a 2215 (which i strongly recommend..even if you may think it is overkill)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there,

Bedok North selling Eheim 2222 at 148 bucks. Also Atman filters are available. Cheaper for a more powerful output lah..

Hi DEA and other experts,
    I understand that most of the people prefers Eheim. The thing is I was thinking.. The whole setup is really simple (used to think it is quite complicated last time before i helped my friend do one tank) Water gets in and moves through the various filter media, "cleaned" water gets out back to the tank. what could go wrong around here and if it can happen to cheap brands, it can happen to Eheim as well right?

Hehe, just trying to learn something and not argue whether which brand is better..[]

Also, would like to seek advise on whether the placement of the filtermedia is impt in sequence. Mechanical filtration (the sponge) should be placed first right, if not the biological filter media might get trapped with the junks...oopss..my friend did wrongly liao
    anyway, how to take out the media as the whole thing now filled with water (input tubes etc...)How to minimise or is it possible to prevent any water spills?

regards,
    tltan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Maybe I'm not the best person to answer your questions, but this is what I've learnt from my experience of using the Eheim 2026.

The filtering process sounds simple, but there are actually lots of subtleties involved. Like for example, you need the impeller to draw the water out of the filter also and the impeller motor is one of the more crucial but less noticed part of the filter. Also the quality of the filter media and design of the parts of the filter itself to ensure no failure with long term use.

I've never used other filters before but my 2026 is placed in my aircon bedroom and there its absolutely silent. I guess this shows the quality of the motor and the impeller used in eheim models.

I guess the placement of the filter media is important. For my 2026, there are built-in check valves to ensure no water spillage when you want to stop the filter for changing of media etc. I've stopped the filter and removed all its hoses without a drop spilling in my bedroom.

I hope this helps you in making your decisions when you decide to purchase a filter.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just came across a warehouse (or wholesaler) selling Eheim 2222 for $128. The warehouse is MacTaggart Rd (along Macpherson Rd).
    Cheers.
    When driving, make sure your mata is not on the wanita!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/6/2002 1:20:07 PM
    what could go wrong around here and if it can happen to cheap brands, it can happen to Eheim as well right?

Also, would like to seek advise on whether the placement of the filtermedia is impt in sequence. Mechanical filtration (the sponge) should be placed first right, if not the biological filter media might get trapped with the junks...oopss..my friend did wrongly liao
    anyway, how to take out the media as the whole thing now filled with water (input tubes etc...)How to minimise or is it possible to prevent any water spills?

regards,
    tltan
    ----------------
    impellers could get choked up by crud, and become impossible to remove for cleaning, like my fluval 404
    another thing is incessant noise coming from the motor no matter what i did
    in the end i gave up and got an eheim

what filter is your friend using?
    eheims have a cutoff built in which make removal for cleaning easy (from the pro series onwards)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    something to think abt, doesnt just apply to filters, but whether those short term savings are really worth it..

the flow process is the same
    principal is the same.
    Quality is different.
    Efficiency is different.

Factory specs are given by the manufacturer itself.

I doubt it will be the same if there is one neutral judging board taking exact performance figures.
    Drastically different in fact.

Highly listed output doesnt mean anything.

Not saying bad things abt other manufacturer, but just siting an example:

Like the New Fluval series, the 304 is rated 1000l/hr.
    But the eheim 2215/2226/2026 series, has "only" a flow rate of 650l/hr

404 is rated at 1300l/hr (or 1200 i cannot rem).
    it is rated for a 400l tank.
    eheim 2217/2228/2028 or even the wet dry 2229 "only" has 1000l/hr meant for a 600l tank.

these figures seem out of proportion.

i had one 1200l/hr chinese brand internal power filter, and a 900l/hr one from a more established brand. Although the difference in flow rate may suggest that the chinese one is better, the truth is that the 900 one is better than perhaps 2 of the 1200 one put together. THey are very simple designs, they work exactly the same way. Why the difference?

All cars work on the same principal.
    But some break down less, some are smoother, some are more powerful given the same factory specifications.

THe point is: do not look at flow rate as a guide.
    efficiency issue: eg if flow is strong but there is a lot of bypass, the high flow is useless.

Do not get something because it is cheaper at the moment.
    You will end up spending more eventually. More than if you had taken the more expensive choice in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast