Country
    Malaysia

Trace element mix?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all,

i recently bought some trace elements (in powder form - LushGro pack) and now got stuck with what i should do with them there are zinc, copper and manganese (all packed individually). Iron still ok since can mix an obvious amount with water. but how bout the others? as i see from the trace mix solution that others have, their % is so small and i definitely will have problem in making the mix. Anyone with experience can share or help?
    i am who i am

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow. You're serious.... I wonder how you are going yo mix them correctly.

Why didn't you just get the Rexolin APN powder and mix with water? Or buy their premixed Lushgr-Micros? These are trace elements. Possible to return and change?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    yeah i am serious and i cant return them because now i am back in Malaysia.. haha god.. think i will jus make a trace solution with iron and a super tiny bit of the other 3
    i am who i am

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    hm off topic a bit, i am now very confused with macro dry fert dosing.

Take KNO3 and my current tank 110 litres for example.

The somehow recommended dose of it is 3x weekly at 1/4 teaspoon, and using Chuck's calculator, it will give me a 7.8 ppm result (for NO3) each time.

The recommended target PPM for NO3 is 5-30ppm and say i make a target of 15ppm. Does that mean...

a. I need to dose 1/2 teaspoon to hit 15ppm each time?
    b. 15ppm should be splitted into 3 times over the week, and so means i dose the amount that raise NO3 by 5ppm each time

I m trying to make a calculation of how i should prepare my KNO3 solution and sorta got too confused with all these target numbers from EI method.
    i am who i am

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If its LushGRO products and for the dry trace mix issue, you can actually give Dr. Mallick a call, I have called him before with regards to this and he has actually advised accordingly.

If you're really interested to know or find out, best to check with him direct.
    Last edited by grey_fox; 27th Jun 2006 at 17:00.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_ric
    hm off topic a bit, i am now very confused with macro dry fert dosing.

Take KNO3 and my current tank 110 litres for example.

The somehow recommended dose of it is 3x weekly at 1/4 teaspoon, and using Chuck's calculator, it will give me a 7.8 ppm result (for NO3) each time.

The recommended target PPM for NO3 is 5-30ppm and say i make a target of 15ppm. Does that mean...

a. I need to dose 1/2 teaspoon to hit 15ppm each time?
    b. 15ppm should be splitted into 3 times over the week, and so means i dose the amount that raise NO3 by 5ppm each time

I m trying to make a calculation of how i should prepare my KNO3 solution and sorta got too confused with all these target numbers from EI method.
    You calculations are correct. So if you dose 1/4 tsp KNO3 three times a week, you get a total of about 24ppm NO3 for that week. That's your target?
    Since you can dose dry, why bother making a stock solution?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    ah so means my target should be divided by number of times i wish to dose per week and that will give me a reference on how much i should dose each time. i always thought we need to maintain the target everytime we dose.

Say i target a NO3 of 15ppm per week for a 110L tank, my dosing of KNO3 will be ~0.15 tsp (dry) x 3. am i right to say this?

the reason why i am thinking of using solution is because i can't manage to find measuring spoon yet and can have better control over the dosage? hehe
    i am who i am

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If I'm not wrong you need to get chelators and that sort of thing if you want to mix all the traces together in a liquid solution...

However, from the Sears and Conlin Paper there's the recipe for mixing. Follow the link.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    the reason why i am thinking of using solution is because i can't manage to find measuring spoon yet and can have better control over the dosage? hehe
    Eric, you can try using the measuring spoon for baking. It is easily available and accurate. My brother and I use that for EI method.
    There is another world in the waters......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Say i target a NO3 of 15ppm per week for a 110L tank, my dosing of KNO3 will be ~0.15 tsp (dry) x 3. am i right to say this?

In that case, prepare a stock solution. Use Chuck's calcluator to help you. But take care of the solubility as you can't dissolve too much KNO3 in a little water.

For me, I have stock solutions of PO4 for my different tanks. Each is prepared differently such that every time I dose 10ml from any stock will give me 1.0ppm.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks