Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Changing colours snake found in Borneo!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Changing colours snake found in Borneo!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    A new species of snake which can change colours has been discovered in the Kapuas river in the Betung Kerihun National Park in Kalimantan, Indonesian Borneo.

News from BBC:

{It was Dr Auliya, a consultant for WWF, who discovered serendipitously its colour-changing capacity.

"I put the reddish-brown snake in a dark bucket," he said. "When I retrieved it a few minutes later, it was almost entirely white."

"The discovery of the 'chameleon' snake exposes one of nature's best kept secrets deep in the heart of Borneo," said Stuart Chapman, WWF's international coordinator for the island. }

More on this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5118778.stm
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The environmental group warns that the home of the new snake is threatened, as Borneo's forest cover has declined from 75% in the mid-1980s to about 50% today
    Hope their population are not affected, else be on the verge of extinct. Interesting one indeed, but a pity that it's poisonous.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm? Why would a creature turn itself white in a dark coloured environment?

Normally, they'll try to match the environment to hide. Or they'll turn really colourful and bright to warn the threat of it's dangerous nature.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe 'white' signify death or it was spooked or stressed in the bucket?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    all creatures in caves evolve into blind, white versions. so there must be something about being white in a dark place.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    most likely researches be carrying out, so maybe leave the doubts to the experts!
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very interesting findings from beautiful Borneo again!
    Must make a trip there sometime in this life ...
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Its strange that all the snakes which hunt the bats in the cave are white or almost white colour!!!! There is no black snake in the cave...as far as I know. Interesting......

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    well.. not all.. there are snakes that aren't white or almost white.. i can think of 2 off the bat... pun intended.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Today's Straits Times also carried this piece of news. Also, they found prehistoric fishes off Suleweis.

Quoting from the Straits Times Online:

JAKARTA - RESEARCHERS have stumbled upon two rare discoveries in Indonesia.

One group of researchers has taken rare photos off Sulawesi of an animal-fish believed extinct until last century while another group discovered a new and mysterious species of snake in West Kalimantan. Five living specimens of the coelacanth were photographed, Kompas daily reported yesterday.

The fish, which pre-dates dinosaurs and has been dubbed a 'living fossil', was thought to have become extinct millions of years ago until a specimen was found in 1938 off South Africa. That is still considered by some to be the zoological find of the 20th century.

In 1998, another was caught off Manado in North Sulawesi. Only several have been seen in the area since then. This year, between May 31 and June 4, underwater cameras deployed during an expedition jointly carried out by the Indonesian Oceanographic Research Centre and Japan's Aquamarine Fukushima captured more shots of the fish.

Kompas said the 2m-long fish has paired fins which move like human arms and legs and is closely related to the first land vertebrates. And, unlike other fish, it gives birth to live young rather than lays eggs.

Meanwhile, the new species of snake discovered has the ability to change colours, the WWF conservation group said. The 0.5m-long snake, known locally as the mud snake, was collected by a WWF consultant and a German reptile expert in wetlands along the Kapuas River in West Kalimantan more than a year ago. The WWF's Iwan Wibisono said it has since been established that it is a new species.
    'The peculiar thing with this snake is that it can change colour,' he said. This ability, known in some reptiles, including the chameleon, is rare in snakes.

The reddish-brown mud snake's ability was discovered when scientists put it into a pail of water and it turned white, said Mr Wibisono. Creatures usually use colour change to evade predators, 'but since the mud snake is poisonous, what purpose does the colour-changing ability serve?' he asked. -- AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, ASSOCIATED PRESS
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This species was described as Enhydris gyii in the Raffles Bulletin of Zoology last year.

PDF here. Look at the last paragraph before the 'Acknowledgments' on page 275.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by guqin
    This species was described as Enhydris gyii in the Raffles Bulletin of Zoology last year.

PDF here. Look at the last paragraph before the 'Acknowledgments' on page 275.
    Thankyou for the link!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kuching
    Thankyou for the link!!!
    You are welcome! The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology publishes taxonomic and ecological papers on Southeast Asian fauna. Feel free to browse through the website and download PDFs that you fancy! All PDFs of papers published in the regular issues are available for downloading FOC. http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    guqin, enough lelong here liao. the folks at kopitiam need you to look at their new CP.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica