Country
    Singapore

Conversion from FL to PL

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellow forumers,

I was thinking of upgrading my lighting system for my 3.5 feet tank. To save cost (everyone is), I was thinking of converting my current lighting hood (2x36FL)to take PL tubes. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Any links that I can refer to? I am a total outsider when it comes to electrical circuits but I would like to give it a try, just to enhance the whole aquarium experience.

Thanks all for the help!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bring yr lights to NA nature and ask Chan to help u... he charges for a fee of coz, safer that way too

----------------
    On 7/3/2002 1:45:49 PM

Hi fellow forumers,

I was thinking of upgrading my lighting system for my 3.5 feet tank. To save cost (everyone is), I was thinking of converting my current lighting hood (2x36FL)to take PL tubes. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Any links that I can refer to? I am a total outsider when it comes to electrical circuits but I would like to give it a try, just to enhance the whole aquarium experience.

Thanks all for the help!
    ----------------
    Since you are a total outsider in electrical, better leave it to the expert. Unless you want some shocking moment in your life. [] 230V, don't play play. BTW are you refering to 2 x 18watt FL or total = 36watt. I know 3ft FL light tube only got 30watts, 2ft FL 18watts.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    [/quote]
    Since you are a total outsider in electrical, better leave it to the expert. Unless you want some shocking moment in your life. [] 230V, don't play play. BTW are you refering to 2 x 18watt FL or total = 36watt. I know 3ft FL light tube only got 30watts, 2ft FL 18watts.
    ----------------
    [/quote]

Hi smallfry,

Mine should be 2x36...must go back and check first
    Dangerous huh... Btw, for a planted tank, what is the optimal 'K' one should go for? FL and PL all got 'K' ratings?

Most would say 6500K. It is stated at the tube. If not go for day-light tube.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Am I right to say that those tubes normally used in tanks containing goldfishes are of the lower "K"? Those that appear pink and makes the goldfishes look better?

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aquarium FL lightings are usually measured in K(kelvins)& watts,if u see T8,T9,T12,T18,T19,T20-these are the size(thickness of the tubes).
    For plants 6500K-7500K is the margin to stay within,
    if u want to DIY or looking for cheaper tubes, u can use FL shop lights(cost less then $5-6) but only the daylight range(measurements in lumens)1080 Lumens is 6500K.(Natural sunlight is abt 11,000 Lumens)
    I have tried a few FL tubes(warm white)observed high in yellow & the water ends up with a yellowish tint.

When u buy standard lights from LFS, they usually include a tropical tube, these are the pinkish hue ones which bring out the reds & oranges in fishes brilliantly(bettas,goldfishes,red based discus) these tubes are usually 5500K, only plants this can sustain is Java moss & java fern wif a very very slow growth rate.
    If u have any fishes wif blue in them,a 6500k,7200k or 7500k will enhance their colours for viewing + u can start to keep plants.(how much watts per litre/gal for optimum growth is another issue altogether)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BJS,
    I believe your tank is about 200L so you'll probably be needing at least 144W of flourescent lighting. At the moment your tube are 2X30W (quite sure of it).

Does your tank come with a hood? If I'm not wrong you can actually modify the lighting to 4X36W PL easily. It's not that dangerous although it 230V. All you need is some tools, the material and some interest. You will definately need to get new ballast so I would suggest you get electronic ballast which make you connection job even much easier.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/3/2002 2:59:40 PM

bring yr lights to NA nature and ask Chan to help u... he charges for a fee of coz, safer that way too
    ----------------
    May I know where is this NA nature shop? I'm very new to this fish community, any help available is greatly appreciated.
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/18/2002 9:08:46 PM

----------------
    On 7/3/2002 2:59:40 PM

----------------
    May I know where is this NA nature shop? I'm very new to this fish community, any help available is greatly appreciated.
    ----------------
    directly opposite Thomson Medical center

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I did a convertion from FL to PL to my lightings recently. Used to be 2x 30W FL, now 4x 36W PL(manage to squeeze everything in!).
    Cost-$25x 2 for E ballast(each ballast meant for 2x36W)
    -$15x4 for PL 36W each(OSRAM...now I know AEC cheaper!)
    -$?x4 for plastic clips to hold PL(forgot price, can use cable tie if no budget..)
    -$5x4 for end attachment to wire(use those plastic fastener with 2 screws also can, $1 for a length)
    Equipment needed-Drill, some single core wire, screws n nuts, cutter, screw driver.
    Follow the wiring diagram on ballast. Overall cost around $140. Can be done cheaper than that if use the above alternative. Worth it if able to convert 60W to 144W!
    Anyone interested I might be able to do it free for you. Just provide me with the material.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi turaco,

You're using a 3ft or 4ft Fl light to modify?

I have a 4ft Fl light to modify but need some help.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Hi guys,

I have a 2ft tank running 2x15w FL, can I just change it to PL or a higher watt FL?? My adapter which comes with the hood can support up to 140w although it did write there to use only 15w Fl.The hood is suppose to support a additional heater n filter which I dun, so I got some spare watt left. Sorrie me newbie in electrical too. [:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CM MEDIA, I'm using 3FT(30W x 2)light to convert to 4 x 36W PL. What is your wattage in your 4FT light?