Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Change 2ft to 2ft tank (but with internal overflow sump)

Feedback Score

Change 2ft to 2ft tank (but with internal overflow sump)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Need your advise here.

I have DIY a 2 ft marine tank with built in overflow internal sump. The dimension of this new 2ft tank is 24x18x18 inches.

I'm going to transfer all the existing coral sand, live rock, filter elements, water ...etc from my existing tank to this "improved" 2ft tank. In addition, I will add new bio ball for the overflow, bio-home/ coral chip and polyfilter for the filtering. And of cse, a new pump to draw the water in and then out.

As such, I would like to ask whether do i need to go through the entire cycle of the new tank to get it mature OR need not since I'm using 100% of the existing stuff from the old 2 ft tank.

Please advise. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ivan,
    done this many a times already.
    u need a holding container to hold all livestock(fill with ur previous tank water)(also to hold any liverock) drain the rest of the water into another pail. remove the substrate & transfer into the new tank >add back the water & let to settle, within 2 hrs u can stack back the rocks, & fish can go in. (any extra water u need, use new saltwater to top up when u add substrate).
    just did it again 3 wks ago(moved one 2ft from my storeroom to a new one in the kitchen) took half day & was running fine by evening. The trick is to use back as much clean water as possible as to minimise any stress.

U may get an attack of diatoms(i did but only cause i added new substrate) a powerhead pointed at it & a snail & all gone.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ivan.. 2ft with sump?? hey.. u taking up valuable space leh.. which already a premium and lacking in the 2ft.. i dun advice it lah.. []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Kel,

Advise leh.....

The space still remain the same as I have extended the width to accommodate the sump. So no actual space or volume loss instead volume and filter capacity increases.

So advise leh.... Need that to prevent disaster.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ivan,
    hahaha.. u mean that the new tank is gonna be more than the standard 1ft?? anyway, up to u.. if that is so, i guess the capacity will increase even though i still have not idea where your sump gonna be located. Nevertheless, since u are using back your entire stuff, u can shorten your cycling time.. but just dun transfer everything over one shot.. coz with the increase in capacity, u need to increase the filter to accept the bio-load/capacity.. as such, u need to cycle for a while.. but in the mean time, what u can do is transfer some of your LR over, together with the some filter media to kick start the sump.. best if u can use the existing water from the old 2ft tank as well as some gravel/sand.. then let it run for 5-7 days before u transfer the second batch over..
    []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Thanks bdwater & Kel,

Successfully swap over within a day. The fishes & shrimp looks good. And water indications looks within limit. Now my nitrate become 5 ppm. This time round must monitor carefully before my NO3 go out of control again. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    congrats.. ivan..[] all the best for your new tank..