Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV

UV

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Anyone using UV for your planted tanks, care to enlighten me what's the +ve and -ve things about this equipment?

Any brand to recommend and which lfs? using it for 3 feet tank about 50gal and 2026.

Strongly, this is just a dicussion hor, I know this is a very subjective topic to ask about UV.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Alan

I use a UV filter for all my tanks....basically it is used a a preventive measure for any breakout of certain dieases in your tank...but by no means that your tank is bullet proof. It just narrows down the possibility.

with regards to the +ve and -ve thingy, that I am not too sure and perhaps sherwin will be able to give you a better answer than I can. for your tank size, you may want to consider an 11watt lamp and go for a dry bulb configuration. The brand to go for is UV-C2000 series.

This should be placed in the outlet pipe. To me this is an optional item.......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

David,

Price wise around how much?
    And when and for how long I need to on it?

Thanks

The UV certainly doesn't make your tank disease free. I still have finrot problems in my betta barracks after I have the UV on continuously!

9W is about $130-160. I guess 11W should be $150-180

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi vican

the effectiveness of the UV is very much dependant on the flow-rate...if you look at the instructions on the box and strangely not on the manual, there is actually a recommended flowrate for maximum effect.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    even if your flowrate is optimal, and you're using the uv, nothing is guaranteed
    you're reducing background levels of bacteria, yes, but that does nothing for bacteria or fungi already on the fish
    face it, the best way to prevent disease and suchlike is to do regular water changes

It's pretty hard for me to calculate the flow rate in the barracks system because I'm using a 1200l/min Eheim Powerhead. But it pumps up water to a height of about 1.7m, therefore, I believe the flow rate is much lower.

Slower flow rate makes the UV filter more efficient right? The filter has more time to sterilize the water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just curious David,

Doesn't using UV in your planted tanks oxidise all your iron and stuff?

Allen
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/1/2002 4:44:09 PM

with regards to the +ve and -ve thingy, that I am not too sure and perhaps sherwin will be able to give you a better answer than I can. ----------------
    David,

What Alan meant was the pros and cons of the UV filter.

Alan,
    The UV filter will help you prevent diseases for your fishes. But it will also kill your beneficial bacteria in the process. Normally the UV filter is controlled by an additional timer (David, can teel wats your timing like). Also, you must be abolutely sure that when you adding medication you should not turn on the UV filter.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The debate as to whether UV sterilizers are truely effective a not has been going on forever ever since it was introduced into the commerical market.

Well , if it gives you assurance , and feel it will be good , then get it.
    Otherwise i dont think it is neccessary.
    LIke what DEA mentioned , water changes are one of the best way to prevent diseases , as well as other points like well filtered water , proper maintence techniques , quarantine of new fish b4 introduction , regular testing of water parameters etc.

IMPO , UV are for people with too much money to spend. []

Hi Guys,

It is very subjective when come to this topic, please stay focused and cool,

At the end of the day, we all have our own choice.

Dunno why, my bettas always gets finrot 2 days after water change, even if I use:
    1) water straight from the tap and add aquaplus dechlorinator straight
    2) aged water

Only happens to males only too..[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Allen_1971

not neccessary so....for me is that my UV is never on 24hrs a day..its just for 4 hrs in the middle of the night. My fertilisation regime is every 4 to 5 days. even if it does oxides, it will be some but not all....as far as medication is concern.......it must be off.

hi artvale

i will agree with you that the UV sterilizer is an optional item and not a must. It is used as a preventive measure and does not provide a diease proof tank. If an aquarist strongly believes that the equipment he or she is buying is worth it, than it will be ....its not just a matter of extra cash...its a matter of opportunity cost between spending it on a UV Sterilizer, or burning it off on a nice fancy dinner for two......
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hehe for me , its the opportunity cost btw spending and not spending at all
    Btw what is the brand of your FBF ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its some taiwan brand called Chuan Lai

Chuan Lai

the above is the website if you like to see what they have.....
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok , thanks for the link

Feedback Score
    Only 4 hours? i always thought that need to be on all the time, so i left it on 24 hours!!!!
    Lucky i see this message, thanks.
    Better don't try to act smart next time liao.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've been using a uv steriliser 9 w for a 2.5 ft tank for the past year.

My algae problems were.

a) blackbrush algae (minor, but annoying on the slow going plants)
    b) green spot algae.

never actually watched my water at all.

No disease problems other than ich occasionally, cos I don't quarantine. heh

What are the impacts of turning on your UV for 24 hrs?
    If there are already beneficial bacteria in the tank, then adding sterilized water wouldn't make much difference unless all the bacteria are free floating in the water. Most of the beneficial bacteria should still be culturing on the filter medium right?

UV will solve the green water problem too last resort if I can't solve it with all other possible solutions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast