Country
    Singapore

Utricularia graminifolia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote from Tropica Website:-

To begin with, Utricularia graminifolia should be offered relatively low light but after the initial 6-8 weeks, where after the plants have obtained a firm hold in the aquarium, the light may be increased.

For those who has good experience with ulticularia sp. did you offer low light for initial planting?
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i just blast mine with co2 and light and ferts from the get go.. grows like a weed..
    you can also float them for fast growth then push them into the water later.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the reply ranmasatome. I heard this is a slow growing plant during the initial adaption period and is very vulnerable to algae attack, hence the low light. Having heard experience, I am more confident to get them now.
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    well..if its going to get algae.. it wont just target your one plant.. your entire tank would get it..
    Dont you think its funny that one plant out of all your plants have algae growing on them?? everything is spick and span and nothing on the tank has algae? this would be very weird.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape
    Thanks for the reply ranmasatome. I heard this is a slow growing plant during the initial adaption period and is very vulnerable to algae attack, hence the low light. Having heard experience, I am more confident to get them now.
    Most shrimps love to pick on them. best to keep your tank free of shrimp before they take root.

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrekker
    Most shrimps love to pick on them. best to keep your tank free of shrimp before they take root.

cheers
    Not familiar with this plant but I thought this is a carnivorous plant. Won't the shrimps avoid them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by anttz
    Not familiar with this plant but I thought this is a carnivorous plant. Won't the shrimps avoid them.
    Anthony, i think xtrekker meant that the shrimps love to uproot it.

As regards carnivorous issue, quoting from Tropica website - "tiny 2 mm long bladders that in nature traps crustaceans and ciliates seeking shelter among leaves and rhizomes"

The bladders are too small to trap shrimps. But shrimplets maybe small enough to get itself caught.
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The shrimps loves to uproot it and much on them... if you leave it floating around in a tank full of malayan shrimps , only stems left after 2 day. its happened to me. Well 2mm is abit too big. the swim bladders i observe is smaller then 1mm. and the opening to the trap.. is much smaller.

Come on guys , its not a venus fly trap !

cheers
    xtrekker

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Czech_Republic

Question Question UG

Hi there,
    I'm thinking about using UG in my new aquarium. I'm able to buy it from our LFS for 5USD per pot. But I'm afraid sold plant is grown emerged. Does it matter in planting it as submerged?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    if its the same plant then you have to give it time to adapt..but it should be okay.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    well..if its going to get algae.. it wont just target your one plant.. your entire tank would get it..
    Dont you think its funny that one plant out of all your plants have algae growing on them?? everything is spick and span and nothing on the tank has algae? this would be very weird.
    Do ask why but it happens. Mostly to those that are near the light and strong water flow areas -hair algae.

Is the U Graminifolia a native of Singapore? There's something similar in the shops that may not be U graminifolia. No success with those yet. Gets real skinny then floats around and becomes a meal for shrimps!
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung