Country
    Singapore

Cardinals hiding for more than 1 month

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I have a situation here. My 50 pieces of cardinals are hiding behind the background plants for more than 1 month since their introduction into my 3ft tank. 20 pcs of rummynoses was introduced at the same time, yet they are already swimming in the foreground area.

Is this common? I thought that it takes at most 1 month for fishes to settle into their environment? Or are there some illness/disease with the cardinals?

My water conditions are as follows:
    NO3 - 25ppm
    PO4 - 1ppm
    PH - 6
    KH - 4
    NH3/NH4 - 0.1/0.3ppm
    NO2 - 2ppm

Any advise?

Winston

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I assume 'RN's are rummynoses... i.e. please avoid such short forms...

Yes, its normal. The rummynoses (if they are), are active schoolers and swimmers. Cardinals, however, tend to like to hide. Give them a few days and you will see them swimming out more often, especially when you are near the tank as they will associate you with food...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Apologies for such abbreviation. Will avoid these in future post. Thank you for the amendments.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's ok. Just that others might not be able to understand... Anyway, forgot to ask, are the cardinals coming out to eat?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, when I feed them with bloodworms or sinking dried food, they will dashed out for it.

Somehow, they do not seems to be in favour for bloodworms. Is that a characteristic of cardinals?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I have about 20 cardinals in my tank, and they only hide in the background flora when they need the security and comfort of shade. When they get hungry, and see me nearby, they all, cardinals and the rest of flauna, will gather infront, swimming around as if signally for food. I use my tweezer to feed flake food, and they feed off it willingly.

I agree, they are not that keen on frozen bloodworms, i not sure if it's the brand of bloodworms or just bloodworms. But they do love live brine shrimp, almost a frenzy for those.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From the cardinals I kept (most of them are kept by ssur now ), i can say they swim everywhere when they are not scared.

Check your water flow, maybe this is the reason they keep to the back. If you put your filter to blow the front, then do not expect those poor little fish to swim much against the current. Give us feedback on your waterflow(filtration)

Also, they tend not to like very very bright lights on all the time.

My cardinals, neons , rasboras feed well on bloodworms, but up to 1-2 worms per fish. They do not seem to overfed, and will let the excess be sunked to the ground. Different issues with flakes food, when fed in little quantity many times a day, they eat a lot more.

Feed them little amount several times a day, they will be happier(healthier) and they will follow hand movement.
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    AquaObsession got it right! Can I upz u? My rainbar output is facing the front of the tank. At times I can even see that the rummynose are having problem moving in the foreground. Any recommendation for rainbar position?

Currently running 2026 with external NA CO2 reactor on full flowrate.

My DIY 3FT T5HO is giving out some much light that even in darkness, it illuminate the entire hall. But since its just 2x39=78W in a 40Gallon tank, it makes up the 2wpg rule, which I don't think is too bright. Currently running on 8hrs photo period.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how wide is the tank... 1.5 feet... i have the same filter, and i put it across the width... so far, doing very fine.... I put it on one side, near the bottom... checkk Aquaobsession holiday tank for visual..
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err... Keep on track, guys. For off track questions, please start a new thread for them... Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops. Back onto track.

I guess I need to lower the flowrate, and see how it goes for the cardinals. Lighting wise, I will keep to the existing 8hrs photoperiod.

I have just adjusted the flowrate, lets see how it goes for the next few days.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    can i ask..
    you ONLY have Rummynoses and Cardinals in this tank ya?? NOTHING else?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Erm...

2 x Emperor Tetra
    2 x Ottos
    1 x Yamato

I was told it was too populated on one end, and the others say its a nice amount to have... confused?!?!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If cardinal tetras are hiding like in my case, then appreciate them from a distance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1 week after lowering the output flowrate from the rainbar. Cardinals still hiding behind, however some are moving front now.

Noted that they are more active whenever I get near them, perhaps waiting for me to feed them.

Does lighting plays a part in the "hiding"? I am running 2x39W T5HO now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    winston i would'nt worry about it, when the fish feel comfortable they will come out and shoal.
    i would say light does have a part in them hiding, if the tank had more subdued lighting they would be coming out alot more, try some floating plants in your setup.
    is the tank densely planted?
    mick

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mickthefish
    winston i would'nt worry about it, when the fish feel comfortable they will come out and shoal.
    i would say light does have a part in them hiding, if the tank had more subdued lighting they would be coming out alot more, try some floating plants in your setup.
    is the tank densely planted?
    mick
    More than 50% of the tanks are with plants. Will look for some salvinia to cover the top.

The rummynoses are very active in the foreground, perhaps that is why the cardinals are pushed to the back. 50 cardinals vs 19 rummynoses?!?!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by winston77
    More than 50% of the tanks are with plants. Will look for some salvinia to cover the top.

The rummynoses are very active in the foreground, perhaps that is why the cardinals are pushed to the back. 50 cardinals vs 19 rummynoses?!?!
    My experience with cardinals is that they prefer densely planted environment. maybe you can add some fast growing plants.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey i think maybe you can try having more cardinals. when they are in a big shoal they are less afraid

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by limchongyu
    hey i think maybe you can try having more cardinals. when they are in a big shoal they are less afraid
    50 cardinals. Isn't that a big shoal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast