Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help with growing HC

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi anyone can help me i've been trying to grow hc but without luck the plant is super slow and can't stay in the soil anyways to have a better growth rate???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You could tie it to a stainless steel nesh and place it directly on the gravel...
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    possible for you to furnish us more of your tank specifications?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am tying it to a mesh too then place on the gravel. The HC will cover the mesh when it started growing.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what conditions does it need?
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr
    what conditions does it need?

Bright lights.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bright lights and more nitrates
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had the same situation as swish. Mine stayed emersed for a long time (over a month) and wouldn't convert.

Perhaps try buying submersed HC from hobbyists instead?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This was one of the plant that i had failed, another plant was downoi. I had waste lots of time and effort. To be frank, i change to glosso after failure due mainly on the altum angel, they are too wild.

Anyway i will try again.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CO2 need? I like HC because they are slow growing
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to fail in HC too. And I had 72 watts illuminating 20litres. Tried the whole fert, CO2 routine till it got really toxic to fishes (with 20L of water and a 3L CO2 tank, it is so easy to OD on CO2 and ferts) but still HC failed. And my last batch was a very healthy submersed bunch from Kadios, and still, they did marginally better than store bought emersed plants - they slowly melted away from the bottom.

Then in anger, I "threw away" my remaining mush to a tub of water I dump my clippings to on the corridor. Left floating on the surface, I see signs of life in the HC. Hmmm, I thought, perhaps I really didn't have enough light...and decided to try growing 2 tiny pinches of it emersed in direct sun on nothing but a thin layer of moist Aquasoil in a "Tau Huay" tub.

In 2 weeks, it took root and had doubled to the size of my toenails, 1 month later, it had covered the ADA soil with a carpet of emersed HC. I then flooded the tub, and it continued to grow! I'm sure that tiny amount of water in direct sun will have "boiled" most other plants alive but HC refused to slow down.

I change water every day to prevent mosquitoes, and the direct tap water didn't affect it, neither did it realise that there's no CO2 injection. It continued growing with those bigger submersed leaves.

2 weeks of this, and leaves started to yellow and growth slowed, so I added some KNO3, KH2PO4 and half a tsp of Equilibrium to the water weekly, and it shot back on in growth.

It's been 1 month + of growing this way, and the HC is 1 inch deep. It's so well rooted I can't pull it out of the soil. Now is time to re-introduce it into the tank, but I have to prepare one that has no overshadowing plants first. A highly unlikely proposition as I'm starting to outgrow my other half's patience with my numerous tanks. So I moved the tub out of the direct sun to a bright spot on my corridor. If it reacts favourably, I may then re-introduce it and try to keep my other plants pruned regularly.

I used to give HC an "out of my skill" status. Now I revise my own thinking. Let this be an encouragement to you who are still trying. Dump some in a tau huay tub and leave in direct sun. Even if it fail in your tanks, you will have an endless supply on the corridor to continue your experimenting.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Lawrence,

I am surprises that you are the second person who bought HC from me and they died. Could it be that the water conditions between our tanks vary too much? Or the plants did not manage to take roots. My suggestion is to leave some HC floating on the surface, near direct lighting. So far, I had acclimatize my plants this way. My hottonia show no growth until I float them on the surface and they grow like crazy after 2-3 weeks of acclimatization. So far, my wish is to try out on downoi but my downoi has died due to overshadowing by plants, mainly due to my fault for lack of care and maintenance. I believe it can be done as the person who traded the downoi did the same thing as well.

Hopefully it will help.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Kaidos.. the bunch i got from you weren't doing as well either.. BUT, i know i got a great and healthy bunch from you and i have a feeling its my own tank conditions. However, This week i can see some growth and its finally started to run. I really appreciate the initial health of this plant when i got it from you, it has givin it a little extra boost when acclimatising to my tank. The other point is that i realise that it would be better to plant this plant in little patches instead of a whole big patch just dig and cover, it seems like the plant takes better to little patches of growth... at least for me. IT is now doing well in my tank, lets see how it takes on in a few more weeks. i run only 55watts on a 2x1x1tank...water is chilled to 24.5 though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kaidos
    Could you share your tank readings ?PH? KH? Temp? tanks, lights ...etc. If you have them.

The bunch i got from u also did not do that well, like ranmasatome, i do believe that it is the condition of my tank cos the HC where in perfect condition when i got them from u. Of the big bunch i got from u, most of them melted and only left with a very very small patch. They are turing bright green and hope that is a good sign.

Maybe they are like downoi, very sensitive to transplantation shock ?? My downoi melted for 2 weeks before showing new leafs (fingers crossed )

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    downoi were submersed when you got them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kadios,

Those I bought from you didn't die, in fact they fared better than all the other HC I've gotten till then. However, after planting, they stagnated and then melted from root up.

I forgot to mention that 2 weeks' acclimatisation (and procrastination), floating on the surface of the tank, it grew well, almost increasing 50% more. I hit problems only when I plant in the soil. Which leads me to believe it needs strong lighting.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just a thought, since so much acclimatisation is necessary, wouldnt it be better to get the emersed type so that the plant can get used to being submersed in your tank condition ?

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pardon the ignorance but can you tie them to driftwood like mosses?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My experience:

Type of soil: Lapis is among the best to plant HC due to Lapis sand can hold their tiny roots better. If do not have lapis, use wire mesh/drifwood to tie them down.

Lights: Medium to high lights

CO2: If water is rich of CO2, you can even see HC bubbling like riccia.
    Temperature: <28C

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by shihyong
    My experience:

Type of soil: Lapis is among the best to plant HC due to Lapis sand can hold their tiny roots better. If do not have lapis, use wire mesh/drifwood to tie them down.

Lights: Medium to high lights

CO2: If water is rich of CO2, you can even see HC bubbling like riccia.
    Temperature: <28C
    Wire mesh that tied with HC? All this while my brain work like grosso that root grow and will hold to the sand for fert.-without it root that hold it will not last for long. (sorry layman thinking). I will try it with wire mesh again. Thanks for your advise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast