Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Water is irritating me to the core...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Green Water is irritating me to the core...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My case of green water is to the point where UV did not even clear a little, no medication can get rid of, limitless days of total darkness did no effect, no diatom filter can filter, millions of live daphnia can't make it better... conclusion: more than $200+++ spend on only TRYING to recify the green water... action: give up and format c:!

anyway, here are some details of my tank... 3x1.5x1.5ft...

2 months old rockscape with hairgrass barely growing... 2 water change a week, pump bacteria at least 5 times a week, temp 26-27.5 degrees, PH 7.2, kh 2-3degrees, 5 hours lights from 1x39 watt T5HO with 4-5 bubbles/sec of CO2...

0 is the number of fishes in the tank, 50+ is the number of cherries in the tank... 3 pots of hornwots which eventually grew into 10 pots...

3/4 of my Ehiem 2026 is filled with biorings/substrate/biohomme, only 1 piece of blue coarse filter medium... so for 2 months with no fishes, and bactieria added very often, don't tell me sunlight from 5 meters away window is the cause...

at least 2 LFS i frequent have no clue whats going on in my tank... i'm just about there to giving up this hobby but decided to give it 1 last try... so if you know wat's the problem with my tank, and can help me solve it, i will really really appreciate it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sounds really BAD!
    how did u dose the dapnia?

if the case is really that serious, i'll suggest u restart the tank.
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems to be really weird, assuming fertilisation is not an issue.

Is there a reason not to put white filter pad in your ehiem 2026?

Give this hobby another try. Restart the set up and this time add in large number of fast growing and floating plants. These are starter plants and if you don't like them, you may take them out after your tank is matured.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    UV would certainly kill it off pretty good and just about any bacteria that goes into the chamber. You either do not have green-water or does not know how to use your equipment properly. You definitely have poor plant growth (poor CO2...pH of 7.2 and KH of 2 or 3 gives you only 3-6ppm at most) and properly low plant mass.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my 2cent advise, maybe you can throw in some duckweeds and frogbits also

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What did you use for base fertiliser? It may have too much urea (though it should affect your shrimps if that is the case).

If you are sure you have green water, I would suggest: (1) cease dozing filter bacteria; (2) get some floating plants - suck up nutirents from water column and provide some shade; (3) Plant a number of faster growing rooted plants - Echinodorus spp. will be good. This will suck up nutrients form the base fert before they leach into the water column.; (4) cease dozing daphnia as they are taken from green water cultures; (5) forget about your UV for awhile - you may be using it wrongly or it is not working; (6) forget about the medicines; (7) get a better CO2 reactor or diffuser.

/John

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What kind of UV light are you using? Specifications? Is the bulb in good working order?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hello bro

i came aross geen water and fungus on my tank may i know what
    brand of bacteria u use??? i use german brand brought from bioplast
    cost $18.00 dose 1/2 put into the tank 1/2 put into the filter cos
    the bacteria never develop yet this is what i did to my 5x2x2 tank
    this the only thing i can said bro may it help

thks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I put the live daphnia into a fine netted spawning area... blackout for few days... tried it twice, got alittle better but did not stop it...

reason why i put only a blue filter, because i wanted more space for bio rings/ substrate, etc... for bactieria growth...

Uv is Jebao, its cheap, its brand NEW, bulbs is working, can see the blue light from the outlets... bought the 9w one... more than enought for my tank specs... installation, filter outlet into uv then back into the tank... is that wrong? plus, i reduced the flow so that water is exposed to UV for a longer period...

by the way, i have tooooo much hornwots and floating lettuce until i seriously dun think its too low a plant mass...

no base ferts, only added some lactrite balls into the soil, dun worry its more than an inch deep... i've never dosed anything once i got the green water... only Nutrafin Cycle quite often...

just 3 weeks ago, i stop adding KH after water change... by now the hardness should be near 0, CO2 remains @ 4-5 bubbles/sec... but HG still not growing well...

i'm using a external CO2 reactor, which dissolves 100% CO2 into the tank... so not a worry about that...

lighting wise, previously using 2x39W T5HO, once got the the GW, i disabled 1 of them... so its just 1x39W...

thanks for all your time guys... really appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    .how come u have such a low co2 level when u wacking like 4-5 bubbles. puzzling though..

the last time i got GW, daphnia save my day. i put in double netting as single netting, they tend to escape easily
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how do you know wat is my CO2 level? isn't 4-5 bubbles alot?

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fLuSh®
    PH 7.2, kh 2-3degrees, 5 hours lights from 1x39 watt T5HO with 4-5 bubbles/sec of CO2...
    At 2-3dKH, you shouldn't be getting pH 7.2 when you're bubbling 4-5bubbles of CO2 per second for a 3ft tank. Assuming you're taking the higher reading of 3dKH/7.2pH, you are getting around 6ppm of CO2. This is very low as you should be getting higher reading unless (1) your CO2 diffusion is inefficient, (2) you are degassing the CO2 (improbable) (3) pH reading is wrong (4) CO2 is leaking somewhere between the bubble counter and the external reactor.

At 3dKH, you should aim for pH 6.5
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am wondering how you guys can count 4-5 bubbles in a second. The bubbles are going too fast for eyes.

Chuck's co2 chart of PH and KH will give a more accurate co2 reading.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami
    CO2 is leaking somewhere between the bubble counter and the external reactor.
    Flush, this is highly possible. Check your check-valve... If you check-valve is the black one (from NA), there might be a leak between the tubing and the intake... This is because if the pressure of the CO2 is not enough to push through the check-valve, the CO2 will escape from the tube... it happened to me the last time... Also do a manual blow through the check-valve to see if air passes through the valve easily or not...

I was pumpin like 4-5 bps too, but only seeing 1bps entering my reactor... Something is wrong...

Try looking at the bubble rate entering your reactor. That is more accurate. As that is the actual amount of CO2 being dissolved into the water, rather than into your bubble counter...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    okok point taken... shall check it out...
    by the way, i'm using a PH pen which i haven't used for a year or two... just got the batts changed, you think it needs to be calibrated again? where can i find a neutral PH of 7 exactly?

cheers

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Definately calibrate it again. LFSes like c328 sell the solution.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Change 75% of the water, get the KH to 5dh and pump the CO2 to 30ppm ph about 6.7, add very fast new growing plants, make sure water column has enough of fertiliser and change water every other day, wash filter ever other day as well, should clear up in about 2 weeks time. I hope u did not reuse any gravel as in wash and sun dry then use again. Always use new gravel and not recycle gravel. Oh your lighting is also not sufficient, u need at least 4wpg for the above method and if your PH pen is responding slow or more than 1 year old, time to get a new one. Spot on, these PH pens cannot be fixed or repaired. And how to count 4-5 bubbles per second? Get a stop watch and count the bubbles over a 30 second period and get the average reading, its easier this way
    It's not just "Step1: Add Water, Step2: Add Fish" If everything else don't work, add plastic plants and fish

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape
    I am wondering how you guys can count 4-5 bubbles in a second. The bubbles are going too fast for eyes.

just to comment on that.

For more precision if you want to count bps, count it over 10 secs or more, then u divide by number of seconds. Do it a few times.
    ~ Ā q u ć O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    is your tank indoor or outdoor??
    If outdoor, try planting some pandan plant in it, the type that is use for cooking. I tried and now my outdoor tank is crystal clear water. Dont ask me why, but it really work.
    Last edited by rickyjohnlow; 17th Jul 2006 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    pandan plant, how you know to adopt this method?? would it give off a fragrant smell??
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast