Images
    Country
    Singapore

Pros and cons of using chemicals to get rid of algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was looking at my HC patch earlier, found that there as a large area which was of a different colour.... look closer... HAIR ALGAE!!!

now, the mini HC is really small and looks quite fragile, so manual scrubbing is not a viable option, the tank is pretty new and the yamatos i introduced earlier to get rid of any algae didnt quite survive the trip... what should i do?

The C328 boy recommended using chemical solutions to kill off the algae...
    i think i have read somewhere that many forumers are against that....

care to enlighten why?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had a bottle of anti-algae. Can't remember it's brand. But what happened is that after using it, the BBA and hair algae is still around while the actual plants all suffered from stunt growth.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Argh!!! i added!!

how can i tell if my plants are growly slowly naturally or suffering from stunted growth

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch
    Argh!!! i added!!

how can i tell if my plants are growly slowly naturally or suffering from stunted growth
    Well, for a start, I noticed the plants I used to trim twice a week need not be trimmed for quite some time. The think can see some difference like the plants becomes weaker over time. Not too sure now as have not use any anti-algae for a couple of years already.

Not too sure about this, but activated carbon might help in absorbing the anti-algae. Anyone can comment on that?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Try to start with easy plant and introduce the HC. If plants are difficult and slow to grow. Algae will ultimately capitalize on it.

Try not to use chemical as it does not grow plant. And what we want to achieve here is to grow plant so that algae will never get a foothold and take over the tank, later.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    As a rule, and one that folks really really need to follow, never use algicides.

Folks give me all this whining, crying, boo hoo hoo about having to use it, they cannot do this or that, they are not me with all the skills etc, they just need a leg up to get over this one hump on and on and on..........

These folks do not take the advice well.
    But.........they learn later, some the hard way.......

The real question is do they want tio try their own thing and waste a few months, years etc, $$$, etc, or do they want to learn to grow plants well?

I have no secret about prevention of algae, it's the same old stuff and has been for the last 10 years.

Algae grow for defined reasons in planted tanks.
    So do plants.

Focus on the plants and you do not have algae issues.
    Addign algicides simply sends folks on a wild goose chase while the real issue is poor plant growth.

Therefore they are bad, they will incur my full wrath as a solution, they waste everyone's time.

This hobby is about growing plants, not killing algae.
    If someone wants to start an algae killing hobby , knock yourself out.

Algae grows when the plants do not.
    We all know this.
    Algicides never make plants grow better, they tend to slow plant health/growth down.

Regards,
    Tom Barr